Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Big Island Hawaii questions? (first timer)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2017, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First timer to the big island (been to Maui and Kauai before) - I am looking for someplace new to us. We area 30's couple who like a "get out of the winter "trip each February" - have 8-10 days. Choosing Hawaii vs the Caribbean because of Zika (we hope to be pregnant - I know that means not VNP). Feb 22/23 to March 3/4

We want something on/close to the beach, fine with splitting between a hotel to get on the beach (although most are sold out already) and a condo (to save a few $$, but also have the convenience of a kitchen) - But don't want to split into three places and waste a lot of our trip relocating - we like to settle in. Ideally we would like to keep the average cost per night
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 06:34 AM

I would look at condos at the Mauna Lani resort. There is great snorkeling there, the grounds are interesting, and you're close to additional restaurants at the Mauna Lani Shops.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 06:38 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you mean Kailua-Kona, as the place to stay. We have been to the Big Island a few times, and prefer a small condo complex just south of Kona, called Sea Village.

It's a low-profile, moderately-priced, well-managed, well-groomed place with full-on ocean views. Each unit is individually owned, and most rent through VRBO. Or you can call the office at Sea Village and connect with property management there.

https://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rental...na/sea-village

Ocean views are spectacular there, but the beach is rocky and you don't have access to it. The condos sit on a ledge above the beach. There's a small swimming pool, a garden courtyard with BBQs. Free tennis courts and free parking, as well.

From Sea Village, you can drive just a few minutes down to Disappearing Sands Beach, a small public beach that has good snorkeling and a snackbar (at the hotel nextdoor, I think a Sheraton).
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 06:40 AM

PS We've stayed at the Mauna Lani hotel, and it is spectacular. If you can swing that price, go for it. The Orchid, next to it, is gorgeous, also.

I was thinking you wanted a budget-friendly recommendation.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 06:51 AM

I think you mean Kailua-Kona, as the place to stay.

Pretty sure he meant Kohala and all of the condos in that area. We've rented a condo in the Fairway Villas in the Waikoloa Beach area (near A-Bay). They're less expensive than the condos at the Mauna Lani.

We've also rented a condo at the Kanaloa just south of Kona, and I definitely prefer the Kohala area to Kona. It's less crowded, you're closer to the beaches, and there's less vog.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 07:20 AM

Ooops. Sorry.

BTW, we have spent two weeks on the Big Island, and divided our stay between an upscale resort like the Mauna Lani and a condo at Sea Village. It was a good mix for us, to have a kitchen and more space the second week.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 07:39 AM

Something outside of the box and not what you asked for...

We've stayed here twice for a total of 24 nights. The first week of Feb is open.

https://www.vrbo.com/206093#ratesAnchor

It is a gated ranch with magnificent views and a short drive to the harbor, and not too far from the resort beaches. Out last visit we were lucky to have the cattle in the Heathers.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 08:33 AM

Oops, missed your dates of late feb/march
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 12:06 PM

The Waikoloa Beach resort (not village) has several condo complexes and is near the A-Bay beach (and shopping and restaurants). It is also a short drive (5-15 minutes) from several great beaches. You can get a condo for $150 or less. Or more.
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 05:54 AM

We stayed at the Waikoloa Beach resort (make sure you know the difference between this resort and the Village - they are very different!).

It is nice but in that part of the BI you are very far from everything. And you would have to drive to a beach (and find parking, etc).
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 02:10 PM

Well, you are 25 minutes from Kona, but right near two shopping centers,supermarket, fast food court, new movie theater, restaurants, and a very nice beach. You are only a very short drive from some splendid beaches (which frankly aren't abundant in Kona, or Hilo for that matter). An hour to drive north up the coast to the overlook/ black sand beach hike, with stops in Hawi, kapaa, and various archeological sites is a great day trip or trips. To Volcano National Park is only 1 hour 45 minutes, so a visit to the other side is easy. There's easy public parking and a short walk to most of the good beaches (if there's a resort there, go early for the limited public parking spots).
Old Sep 29th, 2017, 09:05 AM

We really enjoyed driving up north, into ranch country on the Big Island.
It's very pretty and a much different vibe than the rest of the island.