Condo rentals on Big Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone rented a condo on the Big Island? My husband and I are looking to do this next winter, but would prefer to stay in a condo than a hotel... How reliable is vrbo.com??
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 06:44 AM

Beachgirl, I have rented from vrbo for nine years and on every island but Maui. I haven't been burned yet. The real question is where do you want to stay on the big island?

I've rented in the new upscale Hali'i Kai in Waikoloa. It's a beautiful complex, new and quiet. If you want I can give you a link to the owner.

I have also rented houses in Kapoho Beach Lots which were very reasonable, but many find Kapoho too far off the tour circuit. I also rented houses on Ali'i Drive in Kailua KOna.

Therefore, I suggest that you should first decide on what area or areas you want to stay and then reask. For example condos and houses in Kailua Kona are closer to the great snorkel area, and Place of Refuge. This area has a number of food choices. It has shopping also traffic congestion.

Waikoloa some find to over built and not that pretty. It is centrally located to some of the best beaches on the kohala and kona coast.

So you see there are tradeoffs.

Bill
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 07:28 AM

I also rented at Hali'i Kai on the Big Island and really liked it. We had a garden view rental, so no view of the ocean, although you can find units that do have views. We have used VRBO numerous times, but for Hali'i Kai we used Hotels.com because that's where I got the best rate (though we could NOT pick a specific unit which may not appeal to you).

Having a washer and dryer and a kitchen was really important to us.

Totally agree with Bill in regards to the description of the areas. If you want to relax, spend a lot of time at good beaches, and don't need to be near a lot of dining options, then Waikoloa is great. It is a ~30 min drive from Waikoloa to Kailua Kona through very desolate/lunar-like landscape. Kailua Kona definitely has a lot more going on (including traffic).
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your helpful tips. Hali'i Kai is an area that we are interested in staying. However, I'm open to keeping my search open to the Kohala coast if necessary.

We love to snorkel and lounge on the beach and use an area that fits this need as our homebase. As we hope that some mornings we'll venture out to other areas of the island.

As for amenities/features in a condo: We're looking for a nice place to relax, make most of our own meals. A washer/dryer would be excellent, but not required.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 08:14 AM

BG, Waikoloa Resort and Hali'i Kai are on the Kohala Coast or am I missing something in your post.

Here's who I used. http://haliikai-rental.com/
The condo and property were great.

Oh, I should also warn, that the further south you go, i.e. Kailua Kona and Captain's Cook, the more likely you will run into Vog.

Bill
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 10:49 AM

we stayed at Hale Kona Kai in Kailua Kona. It's not as close to sandy beaches as the Kohala or Waikola area. But we really liked staying in Kailua. The really resorty areas just don't appeal to me as much (and Waikoloa is DEFINITELY resorty). The view from the balconies at Hale Kona Kai is unbeatable, and the swimming pool was so close to the oceanside, that I could feel the spray, and didn't really miss the sand.

We also rented a house on the Hilo side, and used VRBO with very good luck.

I suggest taking a look at the aerial photos for the resorts and condos here:
http://www.wizardpub.com/bigisland/bigresort.html
You'll also find links to rental agencies for many of the condo complexes. It might help you with your decision.
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife and I have stayed in this Waikoloa resort (2 bdrm, 2 bath) condo several times (we know the owner). It is beautifully furnished, and has washer/dryer, terrific pool/hottub/workout facility, and location is terrific. We love the view (mountain and golf course with palms), the gas grill areas, and the nearby shops, restaurants, and new grocery make it really convenient.I highly recommend, AND the price is excellent compared to the same condos in the same complex. Check it out! http://www.vrbo.com/256028
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 05:12 AM

Like ChinaCat, I rented for a week this summer at Hale Kona Kai. I really explored the island, but am glad I chose the Kona area for staying rather than the Kohala Coast where I also ventured a couple of times.

My balcony (like all of them there) practically stuck out over the rocks and waves. I could walk to lots of bars and restaurants and there was under building parking. I saw a few units, I particularly liked mine which had some extensie remodeling done to it to enlarge the bath and walk in shower, and to open up the bedroom more which seemed to make the whole thing more spacious. The fact that the apartment cost less than $150 a night total including cleaning, etc. was a real bonus.

http://www.halekonakai-hkk.com/units/404/index.htm
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 03:20 PM

We also have stayed at the Fairways Villas (Bumpmaster's suggestion). Love the access to A-Bay, and the wonderful beaches just to the north of Waikoloa. IMO, the area there (Waik. resort)is much less developed than the crowded Kailua-Kona area. I looked at that site, and that price was pretty darn good for that complex!
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 09:34 AM

I am staying at the Hale Kona Kai right now... . Happy to provide any inputs if needed... it is indeed a really nice condo with wonderful views of the ocean..
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

mc_ite - I'd love to hear your reviews. Where did you book your condo?
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 06:45 AM

In Dec 08 we stayed at the Waikoloa Beach Villas (vrbo#174117) and it was amazing. We usually stay at the Marriott down the road in the Waikoloa resort but our kids are getting bigger and we really need the space a condo gives so we took the plunge and stayed here. The lady who owns it is named Tammy and she was so nice-they have lots of great reviews. What we really liked was the garage full of boogie boards, snorkels gear, beach chairs etc. plus they include the cleaning fee in the price so no hidden charges. The covered lanai with high end BBQ was just awesome, we ate almost every meal outside and loved every minute of it. Hapuna beach is a short drive plus you can walk to A-Bay and the Queens/Kings shops. Any of these units are great but this is the one I have had experience with, have fun...
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 08:04 AM

BTW, if you go the VRBO route, there are several great, inexpensive properties that are in Waikoloa Village proper, 8 miles up the mountain, NOT in the several condo complexes in Waikoloa Beach REsort (all of which seem very nice); they are nice, but be sure you know where you are going!
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 01:14 PM

I'm speaking in generalities here, but in Kailua-Kona, most of the condos are studios or 1BR units. Those are fine for couples or very small families. In Kohala, there are more 2BR and 3BR condos and virtually no studios.

We needed a 2BR condo and found the selection really limited in Kailua-Kona so we ended up north in Waikoloa. I saw several condos with incredible views in Kailua-Kona...but they were far too small for our needs.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 03:11 PM

Hi All, we need similar help. We are looking for a studio or 1 bedroom condo near Waikoloa. Beach views and walking to the ocean are important. We do not care about golf and do not want to be on a golf course. All in this area seem to be 2 bedroom/golf course views. Any ideas for us?