santa rosa- safari west

Search

santa rosa- safari west

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
santa rosa- safari west

still trying to decide my birthday weekend in feb. has anyone stayed here? too cold for "tent?" at that time of year? it's kind of a joke with family and friends- i've always wanted to do one of those luxury safaris in africa but i don't want to see anything to get killed or eaten , so alot of people suggested i go to disney animal park but i thought this might be a good compromise
thanks
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 01:15 PM

Santa Rosa is normally pretty chilly in Feb. Not often freezing mind you, but I wouldn't stay in a regular tent at that time of the year. Haven't been to safari west, so maybe they have the luxury tents that would be more comfortable.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 02:27 PM

I like Safari West. Although I haven't stayed there, I have visited several times and toured the luxury tents which are beautifully hand crafted. I bet they have heating, but you can call and check it out.

If you do a safari in Africa, it's actually pretty rare to see something be killed or eaten (in my one week experience), but another nice thing about Safari West is that you don't need to get shots for yellow fever and take 6 weeks of malaria medicine.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 04:05 PM

I LOVE Safari West. Coincidentally, I'm planning to spend my
February Birthday weekend on one of their safari's.
The tents are quite well-appointed, but you can call them for specifics.

Have not stayed there yet as we either end up over
in Calistoga for a day or two of spa'ing and wine tasting
if we have time. If no time for an overnight, we head from Safari West to Willi's Road house nearby for a fabulous dinner.
http://www.starkrestaurants.com/willis_winebar.html

toncasmo, I think you will have a wonderful time at Safari West !!

R5
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 08:09 PM

Hey, Razz, Willi's Wine Bar is on my bucket list! Report in, please....
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 04:56 PM

Willi has three restaurants... the one in Healdsburg is the best..with a full bar and great lemon drop martini's!! Its Willi's sea food..but there are other things too.
I think staying at Safari West would be a fantastic thing to do, and I'm a local. So go for it.....
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 06:47 PM

Thanks, Razz. I'd heard about the one in Petaluma or Cotati. Didn't know there were others.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 08:01 PM

Um.... actually,kleroux the Starks have FOUR restaurants in the Santa Rosa area. The first one is Willi's Wine Bar, in northern Santa Rosa on the Old Redwood Hwy. It's small plates and I think it may be a teensy bit better than his Healdsburg venture, yes I really do.

Willi's Sea food and Raw Bar, in Healdsburg, is Mark Starks second venture.
Next is Monti's Rotisserie, located in the Montgomery Village Shopping Center-in mid east Santa Rosa. Finally his fourth venture is Starks Steakhouse on the west side of Santa Rosa near old Railroad Square. if you want a great steak, and are willing to pay for it, this is for you.

Betsy, another fabulous restaurant in the area is John
& Duskie Estes Zazu.
www.zazurestaurant.com
It's west of Santa Rosa town out on Guerneville Rd.

What restaurant have you heard about in Petaluma
or Cotati ???

R5
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 05:32 AM

oops.. you are right about Willie's. I just happen to love the Hbg. one. I have never tried the steakhouse because I heard it was out of sight expensive. The original one is good too, but they don't make martini's.
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 09:15 AM

Oops, razzledazzle, I was confused. Thought the Redwood Highway Willi's site was in Petaluma or Cotati. My bad.

Thanks for the Zazu tip. We don't have specific plans to be in the area at the moment, but that could change in an instant.
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 10:07 AM

I have stayed at Safari West and in March. The tents are well heated and comfy. It is fun going to sleep and waking up with the sound of African animals. They are pretty quiet during the night though and of course, most of the animals are further away from the tents.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 04:11 PM

We stayed in April (I think). It still got a little chilly for me at night, but I'm usually cold. Having said that, the tent we stayed in was heated and comfy. Space heaters, if I remember correctly. There was an electric blanket on the bed too, I believe. The shower/bathroom area was NOT heated. The water was hot, but the room was not. Like Nina said, it is fun going to sleep with the sound of the animals. I would definitely stay there again. Have fun!