Suggestions for family stay on Big Island?

Old Aug 13th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for family stay on Big Island?

My family has fallen in love with Hawaii. Three trips and all to Maui & Oahu. We want to visit the Big Island but are concerned that the beaches are too rocky. Our kids are 18, 17 & 15....love snorkeling and sunbathing on sandy beaches....several Maui and Oahu beaches meet these requests. Can anyone recommend beachfront condos on the Kona side? And how far of a drive is it to the volcanoes? Thanks for any advice!
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 07:18 PM

We stayed in a time share resort with Kona Hawiaan Village by Fairfiled Vacations, so I realy connot help with condos.

Here is a link for travel on Big island and the iteneray we did along with some photos I took. If yoy stay in Kona, it is about a 2 hr drive to Volcanoes National Park..

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/256207/index.html
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 07:31 PM

There are plenty of great beaches on BI. I've been to both Maui and Oahu and my favorite among the three islands is Hapuna.

http://www.expedia.com/daily/promos/....asp?CCheck=1&
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 11:17 AM

Hapuna Beach is outstanding, soft sand, a huge clear bay and great snorkeling around the northern end. Snorkeling at Kealakekua Bay is the best I've seen on all the islands.

There is a lot to do on the BI. You can drive to the summit of Mauna Kea and stand on the tallest mountain in the world, 40,000 feet from sea floor to summit. I'd recommend spending 2 nights at Volcano to see the park, and the rest of your time in Kona, or one of the Kohala resorts, if your budget allows. There are numerous B&Bs at Volcano. We enjoyed Country Goose, she has some small homes for rent.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 11:57 AM

We stayed at Kanaloa at Kona condos. Booked thru Outrigger.com, but you can find their (and many other condos/homes) units on other sites and also vrbo.com. The condo was large and perfect for a family. The coast there IS rocky--gorgeous but def'lly not white sand. However, a 10 minute drive (maybe less)north wil bring you to Kahuluu Beach in Keauhou, with its good snorkeling.
Fiftenn-twenty minutes heading south will get you to Kealakekua Bay with its excellent snorkeling. A bit further on to Place of Refuge, which is a "not-to-be-missed" place, and has good snorkeling (sea turtles) nearby.

If you want to stay right across from Kahuluu Beach, there are condos right across the street. Maybe called Kahuluu Beach Villas? (Check google) However, from that spot, or others nr that area--though very convenient to a soft sand beach and activiites of Kona Town for you and your kids-- you may hear traffic noise of Alii Drive.
If by chance you consider a hotel . the Keauhou Beach resort (Outrigger) is on the ocean side, and right next to Kahuluu Beach. Sea turtles in the coean right in front of hotel--a lovely small "resort." This may be an option if you don't find a condo. You should be able to get two rooms, each $120 with Entertinament card.
Agree with gigb re splitting up visit betweeen East and West sides of island. It's very long daytrip drive from Kona or Kohala to Hilo and the Volcano NP area--and both the latter are worth a visit. Plan on some overnight-staytime in each area.

If you do stay in Kohala, be prepared for the drive up from Kona Airport resembling a nuclear waste dump of black volcanic stones. You'll wonder why you didn't follow your concern re: "beaches are too rocky." Don't worry....soon after you turn off the road toware the ocean, the Hawaii you're seeking--white sand beaches and coconut palms--will appear.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 01:26 PM

We just got back from the Big Island last week and had a wonderful time. Went with another family and the kids ranged from 8-16. Stayed at the Fairway Villas in Waikaloa through Outrigger/Expedia vacations and the accommodations were outstanding, though not beachfront, it was literally 2 minutes to A-Bay which is wonderful for lying around (the older kids walked it). King's Shops is right next door but not the type of place the teenagers would shop - too expensive and older skewing.

Though not on the Kona side (Kailua-Kona is about 20-30 minutes away) the Kohala side seemed a lot sunnier - it is in the desert after all. Much better eating in Kailua though and easy (or should I say cheaper) grocery shopping for the condo. If you stay in Kohala, make sure you stop off at the Costco after your flight to stock up on provisions (especially if you like mass amounts of Hawaiian food).

Hapuna is about 10 minutes away and is the prototype white sand beach (someone told us the sand was imported from California and China - who knows??). Beautiful. Not much snorkeling (unless you go to the hotel side), but fun for boogie boarding.

We've also heard that Kealakekua is the best snorkeling, but it's hard to get to unless you hike 2 miles each way (not doable with an 8 year-old), kayak one mile each way, or go on the Fairway cruise ship ($$$).

Instead we went to Kahalu'u (okay beach, great snorkeling) and Honaunau (crappy beach, even better snorkeling).

We never made it to the volcanos (went to Hilo, and one looong car trip was enough), but 2 hours sounds right.

If you happen to be near Pahoa (far right side of the island) make sure you go to Ahalanui for the hot springs.