Search

Kilohana in Paia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kilohana in Paia

Has anyone stayed in any of their units? Am thinking about the oceanfront and oceanview cottages in particular. would love to hear from you if you have!

aloha
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

In case anyone else is interested... we took a gamble and gave it a go!

It was everything we wanted. Simple, natural design & decor, very airy (lots of slatted windows), comfortable & clean, outdoor shower, plenty of space (it was actually 2 floors), awesome lanai with bbq grill & wet bar and the views were amazing. Nice salt-oxidized (is that the right term? no chlorine was used...) pool, beautiful layout and wonderfully cared for property (there were 3 other units). The only downside is it's just off hana highway, which didn't bother us, and it's not a swimable beach. You would have to drive to one... Nonetheless the setting was spectacular...between Paia town and Hookipa Beach. Would be great for a honeymooners or families alike (you could rent the whole place out)

I'd stay there again in a heartbeat. : )
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 04:26 PM
trippinkpj

Are those cottages near Mama's Fish House? I may of seen them before.

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Not extrememly close to Mama's...at least a mile or so back towards Paia. And you wouldn't see much from the road anyway.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 11:05 AM
trippinkpj

Thanks acaigirl. It sounds like a good place, in a location I really like on Maui.

Old Jan 18th, 2007, 11:01 AM

acaigirl,
we are thinking about stayng at the Kilohana oceanview cottage and it seems like you really liked your stay there I know it's been almost a year since your post, but could you give more details on your stay? I'm concerned about the road noise, especially. And also- do you have enough privacy from the people in the two other cottages? Is Paia/the closest beach within walking distance? How did you like the North Shore beaches? Thank you!
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

I can't say enough good things about Kilohana...we absolutely loved it.

We were in the beachVIEW cottage (closest to the road) and didn't hear a thing (unless someone was pulling into the driveway) If you are interested in the beachFRONT cottage (my parents stayed in that one) there would be absolutely no noise as it's located further away from the road and the property slopes down towards the ocean. All you'll hear is the sound of the surf!

There is a decent amount of privacy in the visual sense...if that makes sense. We rarely saw anyone else staying there expect my parents and one other couple. However, you can hear a lot since the windows are open. Let me clarify, I couldn't hear anything from the other units when I was inside... but when I was outside I could hear my family inside ours. Not really a big deal...
The outdoor shower in the beachfront didn't seem as private as the one we had in the beachview. I have to say, even though the beachfront is closer to the ocean I think the beachview unit is far superior...layed out nicer, more space, newer appliances/decor, awesome lanai with grill and wetbar, and like I said a more private outdoor shower and a pretty private little yard.

There is a picturesque little cove a few minutes down the road. You could walk. But the swimming is still not great.

I'm trying to remember the name of the beach we went to in Paia - I guess that's the one you are referring to...mostly locals there. We liked it there a lot. There are bathhouses etc. It was really windy...but then we walked further down the beach to the left and found it much nicer (and less crowded) The water was wonderful there! And if I remember correctly there was a little seawall at the end making a nice little protected lagoon.

I'm a beachgirl at heart but we really didn't mind not being on a great beach, and found ourselves doing other things. We fell in love with the property, the plumeria trees, the lushness all around... and the VIEWS. We saw the most amazing rainbows almost daily, a full rainbow once and a double rainbow. So beautiful. And whales! We loved being close to Paia, Mana Foods for healthy eats, nice variety of casual eateries, good shopping. Enjoyed exploring some of the upcountry towns, hiking in a bamboo forest heading towards Hana, the crepe and fruit stand on the left hand side of the road, watching the windsurfers at Hoopika... being so close to Mama's House of the $15 Mai-Tai. And there's a little yoga studio just a short walk from the property. : )

I hope this helped!
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Would you like to see pics?
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 06:49 PM
sistahlou

mahalo adaigirl

sounds like my kinda place! love that area or the isle!

Old Jan 18th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Anytime, sistalou! I enjoyed thinking back on that little slice of heaven. : )

I'm not sure if she is still there, but the caretaker, Cory, was wonderful and very helpful. She came to Maui to study the whales and is a great resource and just a sweet soul. I enjoyed our talks with her very much.

Old Jan 18th, 2007, 08:08 PM

acaigirl, thank you so much! We are choosing between two places and your review is very helpful. (The other place is closer to the airport so I am going to repost my question about the airport noise in Spreckelsville)
It is sooo hard to decide Thank you! And thanks for offering to send pictures, I think I saw enough from the different websites, there is no point in bothering you with this
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 04:11 PM

Acaigirl,
well, it's done, I booked Kilohana today! Your detailed reviews was very helpful. Actually, if there is a way I could see your pictures - that would be great, to reassure myself I made the right choice.
Is this Baldwin Beach you are referring to?
And I was also wondering - did you go Mama's Fish Inn? Is it within walking distance?
Thank you SO much for your very detailed and helpful posts (I am literally gonna print them out and take with me, to make sure we don't miss anything interesting during our stay in Paia, so if you have any other advice on places to visit, things to do... Thanks!
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:17 PM
k8

acaigirl, I too am booking Kilohana and would love to see your photos! Many thanks for your information!
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Aloha Marichka & K8,

If you can, please post an email address to which I will send an invitation to view my shutterfly album.

Marichka, I am very excited for you! I hope you love it there as much as we did. When are you going?

Yes, I think it was Baldwin Beach. And yes, we did go to Mama's for dinner one night - YUM. You could walk there, but we chose to drive... We walked/jogged up that way one morning and I don't think we would attempt to do that in the dark. Not a lot of room on the side of the road for pedestrians.

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:35 PM
k8

Thanks acaigirl! I'm going March 6th, my first trip to Maui! e-mail [email protected]
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 09:14 PM

acaigirl, I'm going at the end of March, my first trip to Maui as well!
[email protected]
Thank you so much!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

sent off both emails... let me know if you have any questions. : )

I'm sitting here laughing now... My mom is coming out to Hawaii to visit me in March and she was thinking about hopping over to Maui and staying at Kilohana again but it's all booked up! I guess that would partly be my own fault. oops.

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 06:54 PM

acaigirl,
I got your message, thank you! Your pictures are just fabulous! I will e-mail you with a couple of questions later, if you don't mind. You shouldn't feel "guilty" about your mom The oceanview cottage (the one I booked) still has some availability in March, it's the oceanfront one which is completely booked... Thanks again!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

I was just teasing : ) ...I don't think there was any availability for the dates she was interested. no worries!