Search

kihei/wailea area

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:38 PM
Stacie

kihei/wailea area

Can someone describe the climate here? I know that's a funny question but we are from San Diego and want lush/tropical, not arid (a little rain is fine; we've lived in it before). On our honeymoon, we went to the Carribean & ended up on an island that was great but could have been San Diego without the crowds--I'm trying to avoid that mistake again. I'm thinking West Maui would be a better option for us. Oh, we will be in both Maui & Kauai in Sept.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 10:20 PM
angelina

wailea is gorgeous, do not stay in olawalu. if lush is what you want then you must take a BRIEF trip to Hana, remember its the journey not so much the destination with Hana. if you decide to stay the nigt do not rent a home from Hana Alili Holidays, there properties are gross and there reception guy is weird. good luck...wherever you stay will be very
close to the next town and its activities...promise

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:09 AM
karen

Stacie -

The Wailea area of Maui is probably considered the dryest part of the island, however, it is certainly not desert like. We love both the Wailea and Kapalua areas of Maui - first class resorts at both, much more quiet and tranquil than the Kaanapali area, which used to be wonderful, but not so much now IMHO. West Maui would probably suit you as long as you are not considering Lahaina or Kaanapali areas. Kauai is our fav island. Hope you enjoy it. Where are you staying there? Just curious.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:23 AM
joan

To Angelina:
Which exact houses from Hana Alii Properties are you referring to? We are planning on staying two nights in Hana. Hotel Hana Maui is beyond our budget, so we were planning on renting a cottage. Where do you recommend? I can handle a weird property manager, but not a "gross" property!!! What about Hale Malamalama?
Thanks in advance.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:27 AM
John R.

Kihei is pretty San Diego-like. Lush is not a word I would use to describe it at all. Nice, but not lush.
Each island has drier and wetter parts with the northern parts being generally wetter. Each island is somewhat different however so a little research on each would be useful.
If you really want lush, go for Kauai's north shore.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:44 AM
joe

I live in Orange County,California and I believe we share the same weather more or less as San Diego.
We have a condo in Kihei and visit at various times of the year.There is little variation from season to season.
Winter brings cooler water more clouds and less trade winds,it seems more humid.Summer afternoons are almost always breezy and slightly warmer. Rain is very rare any time of the year.
I always feel a real difference between Southern California and Maui weather.There is a real tropical feel, and the breezes really are gentle.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Barbara

Stacie, I live in San Diego and I've stayed in South Kihei. Kihei is not lush, but is more tropical than SD. Keep in mind that, along with the lush comes lots of mosquitoes! For many years I wondered why SD people go to Hawaii, after all the climate here is terrific. Now that I've been, it's clear that Hawaii is warmer year-round, the water is warmer (but not as warm as the Carribean) and the atmosphere is different. If being surrounded by lush foliage is what you really want, then this part of Maui might not be the best area in the islands for you. There isn't much difference between south Maui and West Maui weather-wise. For the lush, wet areas, you have to go to Hana.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Robert Sawatsky

West Maui becomes lusher towards Kapalua. It might even be a place to stay as it typically does get more rain than other leeward areas. Kapalua has both Kapalua and Napilia beaches nearby, with the Kaanapali and Lahaini areas only a few minutes away for both beaches , dining, shopping and other activities.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Stacie

Thank you. We ended up in Ka'anapali for this trip. I hope we're not dissapointed.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Barbara Blaine

We just returned form Maui and stayed at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. Is was not too crowded and was very nice weather wise. The cool breeze was great!

We liked the location because of the 5 minute drive to Lahaina. Easy to get to for dinner, etc. Barbara Blaine

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:16 PM
barbara

Joining th ecrowd a little late but I think Napili is a lovely and lush part of Maui. We've stayed away from Kiehi and Wailea as it can so much hotter ther. Look at Napili Kai- the original resort on Maui. Gorgeous beach and LUSH!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 11:12 PM
John

Sorry, Stacie, but I do think Kaanapali WILL disappoint you! The beaches are rather unimpressive and will probably remind you a lot of San Diego's (sorry!). Although, actually, the beaches in La Jolla and Del Mar are much nicer! I don't know where most of these people have been, but from my viewpoint Wailea IS lush, green and beautiful, and the beaches are much better! (Where did you stay in the Caribbean?)

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 02:05 AM
angelina mike

joan-i stayed at the hamoa beach house and was expecting a beachfront house , hence the name , instead i had a tiny shore of sharp volcanic rock. all that aside, you have the advantage of checking out the accomodation before commiting to it...i on the other hand actually thought to stay in Hana from beginning till end of vacay. STOOPID! i was outta there in less than 24 hours, willing to walk away from hundreds of dollars deposit and prepaid nights. the reception guy was weird like the butler from that movie Scarey Movie II. good luck. to the last John on post...i agree i found wailea beautiful and green...i even have pictures to prove it, maybe people thought they were in wailea...too much maui wowee.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Stacie

John, We went to the Turks and Caicos for our honeymoon. Great place but dry/arid and lots of shrubs. It reminded me of some of the hikes here that I've done. The people were great though and other than the climate, it was a very nice set of islands.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:18 PM
joan

Angelina, thanks for your reply. We were seriously considering that home, it looks beautiful, I am so surprised. The photo does show a rocky shoreline, but what else about the house made it "gross"? I've been corresponding with another Fodorite, and she has booked that house for September!

Did Hana Alii show you any other homes or give you an opportunity to change? Where did you go after you left? Back to Wailea? We are spending first 5 nights in Wailea, then 2 in Hana...hoping to find something oceanfront within our budget - $200/night.

How about this one:
http://www.hanaoceanfrontcottages.com/rates.htm

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 06:55 AM
joan

Topping for Angelina!
Please answer or I might begin to think you weren't being truthful.