Search

Kids flying solo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kids flying solo

In the good old days, a kid got a note pinned to his shirt, the porter was tipped and grandma was waiting at the other end. Now it's a whole new scenario -I woulsn't even dream of putting a kid on a train - but what about a short, non-stop flight? Is 10 or 11 years too young?(assuming the kid is fairly mature and has flown before)
Do the stewards keep an eye out?
Also can an adult accompany the child to the gate and can one be at the gate on arrival, or does security restrict this?
Thanks for your feedback.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Tess

Gail,
It depends on which airport you're dealing with as to whether an adult can accompany the child to the gate.

We picked up a 14 year old friend of my daughter's at Denver International Airport last Saturday and had no trouble getting a gate pass from the United ticket counter. We both had to show photo ID (even though my daughter is only 14), then they printed out a pass so we could go through security and meet her friend at the gate.

Her mother, however, couldn't get a pass to accompany her daughter to the gate when she left from Salt Lake that morning. Different airports, different ticket agents, different days, is what I gather.

Old Jul 13th, 2006, 06:06 PM

There are some strong opinions on both sides of the fence for this.

Our kids do fly solo each year to the grandparents. Our son did it just this past weekend. He was 10 when he did it for the first time, but has flown overseas several times and flown domestically literally dozens of times. So he is very familiar with airports, planes, etc.

That said, the airlines all deal with this a bit different, depending on the childs age. Southwest required that he wear a sort of necklace that identified him as an unaccompanied minor. He flew on Alaska this week, and they did not require that (made him much happier, lol!). We do pay the $30 extra fee which basically is to have the flight attendants watch out for him. They board him first, and he is last off.

At the time of making the reservation, I provide all names, phone numbers, etc of the people who will be picking him up. The airline requires that.

When we arrive at the airport, I go to the airline desk and get a guest pass, which lets me through security and to the gate. At the gate, that is where we say goodbye, and he is in the hands of the airline. I do wait until the plane is in the air before I leave.

On the receiving end, the grandparents go to the airline desk and do the same paperwork for the guest pass, show ID, and pick him up at the gate, with the flight attendant checking their ID again.

We have only done this with short, nonstop flights, and so far both of our children have said it was easy and no big deal at all. To give you an idea, the flight have been between Seattle and San Francisco, and Portland, OR and San Francisco.

As soon as the grandparents pick the kids up, they give us a call just to let us know that all is well.

We have been doing this with both kids for about 5 years and not had a problem. I do think much depends on the child and their maturity level, flying experience, and just general comfort with doing this.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both so much for your replies. It's just the info I was looking for. I'm the grandma here and the grandkids live pretty far off. We're hoping by next summer to be able to have them for visits on their own.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 05:44 AM

NGail-if i'm not mistaken, quite a few of the airlines are now changing their policies and not allowing unaccompanied children on flights, so your options are getting to be more limited. As for the airlines where it's permitted, i've been on numerous flights with kids travelling alone and it all seems to work fine-flight attendants give them attention, met by reps at the gate to accompany them to wiating family, etc. HOpe things work for a visit to grandma. I have fond memories of taking the train and bus to visit Grandma.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 05:55 AM

On separate occasions my niece, when she was 8, and nephew, when he was 10, flew non-stop on Southwest from Baltimore to San Antonio to spend a week with us. There were several children flying solo on these flights and they all sat together on the plane and appeared to make friends with one another if only for three hours. Some of these children were either going to or coming home from seeing a parent--too bad it's becoming more difficult for them to find carriers who will let them fly solo.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 06:03 AM
GoTravel

One of the airlines, US Airways maybe? Just upped the minimum age and the other airlines are expected to follow suit.

I think the minimum age is now 15 years old for a minor to fly solo.

I remember flying solo when I was five years old on Piedmont or Eastern Airlines.

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 06:14 AM

Last year our girls, then aged 12 and 9, flew solo. American Airlines tacks on a big surcharge if they're underage. I think it was $75 per kid, per flight...that would have been $300 for the surcharge alone - just to go from Dallas to St. Louis! They flew Southwest instead. Because one child was 12, they weren't even considered unaccompanied minors - no charge, no problem.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 06:21 AM

You really do have to check each airlines web site these days to determine their policy. Most restrictions these days appear to have concentrated on not allowing them where a connection is required - especially if it's the last flight of the day. Our daughter (now 18) has traveled all over the county solo since she was 7 and we've never had a problem. But we also made sure she has proper id (passport), authorization letters and medical letters. In our experience, the FAs have been great and very attentive. SW is particularly good (think they're used to all those kids visiting divorced parents on the weekends between Houston and Dallas). The only airline that won't/didn't let an adult accompany her to gate was Frontier. CO, SW, NW, and DL did - but again I'd check with carrier each time to avoid making any generalizations or problems.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 02:02 PM

Southwest Airlines still allows unaccompanied minors. Their website has details: http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/children.html

On Friday nights, many flights are the "join custody express" with ten or so unaccompanied minors! Yes, they allow adults to accompany the kids to the gate, where a crew member takes them onto the plane.

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 08:15 PM

Parents should realize that these days airline employees are often overworked and delays/cancellation are highly possible on all flights year round.

So, if you're doing this, choose the itinerary carefully. Avoid connection if possible or keep them to minimum. Allow decent time for connection. And avoid late flights in the day where the chance of stranding the kid at some airport is high.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 09:43 AM

If the child has flown before and is mature it should be OK providing you do the following:

Naturally make sure the child is fully briefed on all details and is comfortable with the idea

Pick an early morning flight that is either non-stop or direct (you don;t want the child to have to change planes - or get stuck in the airport alone at night if a late flight is cancelled)

Make sure he has enough cash for his needs in case there is a stop

Make sure he has a cell phone with all the appropriate numbers locked in as well as on paper

Make sure his carry-on has enough amusements (video game, DVD player) and snacks - as well as one change of clothes in case of unexpectd circumstances

Realize that although the airline will charge for his supervision how much he will actually receive depends on how busy the flight is and the habits of the FAs. (I've seen smaller kids essentially ignored on a flight until an unrelated adult passenger intervened.)
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 10:00 AM

nytraveler--Very good points! When our son packed for this trip, I double checked it. He was smart, and had a change of clothes in his carryon backpack. I was so glad that he remembered to do that without me mentioning it. We do the money and phone number thing too. I also enclose a copy of the medical release form that I sent to my parents. That way if there is any emergency, that info is right with him.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I have one child that is happy to fly alone and one who isn't ready yet (and she's 15!)Just realize that sometimes flights are diverted and unable to continue that day. What would your grandchild do in that circumstance?
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 02:51 PM

My husband's daughter began flying as an unaccompanied minor to spend summers with us in the Caribbean at the age of 6 and has been doing so now for over ten years. In the beginning, one of us flew to Miami to meet her so that she only had one leg to fly solo and didn't have to connect without us there.

After the age of 12 we began letting her fly all the way to St. Maarten as an unaccompanied minor (with a Miami connection), and now this was the first year (at age 16) that she flew all the way to SXM alone with no accompaniment.

We never had a problem and she was always well looked after. I don't know about other airlines because we always used AA, but their policy ensures that ID is shown when retrieving the child, and she was never out of sight of an attendant during her journey. Not even to go to the ladies room. They always boarded her on the next flight immediately so that she wasn't sitting in the gate area, and if that wasn't possible, she was with someone when waiting at the gate.

I once inquired about a flight delay/overnight once she began connecting alone and I was told that in that case she would overnight in a hotel with a female flight attendant who would be with her at all times. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with that at a young age, but was okay with it once she was over 12 as long as she was okay with it, and we asked her about such.

We also have friends in the Miami area, so knew that was another possiblity. I felt better knowing that someone we know could at least go to the hotel and check on her since she would not be turned over to anyone that was not stated on the ID form.

We never once encountered a problem in all our years of doing this, but I am sure anything is possible. I agree that you have to weigh the issues. The distance, flight connections, the child's age and maturity, their comfort level, your comfort level, the airlines policies in various instances, etc. However, children do it all the time. I've even been on flights to and from Europe where I have seen young children flying as unaccompanied minors and they seem to be well looked after, too.

You just have to plan for any contigencies and talk to the child so they know what to expect and how to react in different circumstances.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 03:02 PM

There was a very ugly, scary incident on our local news about a minor who was stranded here overnight due to a winter storm. The airline put him up in a hotel with a chaperone as promised....unfortunately the boy was sexually abused by another older minor who was also stranded at the same hotel and under the care of the same chaperone. I think both stranded boys were put in the same room (separate beds) but I am unsure of details.I would want to feel like my child would know how to get out of ANY kind of situation before I did this.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 04:41 PM

We just recently had a grammar school teacher in our small city arrested for sexually molesting some of his female students.
Plus there has been several other men of all ages arrested for sexually molesting either children of family friends or relatives children.

IMO as uncomfortable as it is everyone needs to talk to their children about this potential problem and what touching is acceptable and what kind of touching is not acceptable.

Our daughter starting flying alone from the age of twelve. Thank goodness there was never a problem. We made sure she was on a nonstop flight. And she had all necessary information that she would need during the flight and also during the trip.
Was I still nervous, oh yes! But she was completely excited and loved every trip. And to this day she loves to fly away and take a trip.

Back when my daughter was young we could go to the gate and see her off. And we could go to the gate and collect her when she got off the plane.

When my daughters son flew SW we had to wait at baggage for him (he was 14). We were told we could not meet him at the gate. He arrived at the pickup baggage area just fine, but how much nicer it would have been if we could have met him when he first got off the plane.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 11:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I also found it reassuring when my son had a cell phone and strict instructions to call me as soon as he landed and as soon as he hooked up with his grandfather. I also made sure that he had his grandfather's cell number in case they couldn't find each other at the airport.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 01:47 PM

Hi Birdie, yes cellphones have made quite a difference regarding communications especially when youngsters fly solo. Wish we had had them when my daughter was growing up.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 03:27 PM

Our kids fly to summer camp every summer. The check-in counter will give you a pass to get through security. When I picked up our neice and nephew from the airport, I was able to go to the gate to meet there flight. My sister-in-law had to let the airline know who was picking up at the other end. I had to show my ID. Ther was any airline employee with them. I am pretty sure this is customary when minors are flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -