Key West with Children

Search

Key West with Children

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key West with Children

We are going to Key West next April (spring break) with 2 children; ages 5 and 7. Any suggestions on where to stay?
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:43 PM

Sorry - our parent corporation has people that routinely travel all over the world and the only warning they issued was about travel to Mexico. And that was a warning to consider other options - teleconference etc - not a national ban.
And it's now been lifted.

IMHO this whole thing has been much ado about not very much - except in Mexico.
Old May 20th, 2009, 05:33 PM

nytraveler--I think you replied on the wrong post.

shaunab--I would check out places in the Truman Annex. It is a 'gated' community with a lot of pools. It is close to Fort Zachary Taylor and has a lot of green space for the kids to play in. You are also close to Duval Street, the aquarium and all the historic houses. You are close to all the action when you want it, but you have a nice sidewalked community to come home to.

We stayed there one summer with my extended family. DH and I stayed in at nights with the smaller kids 6 and 10, while the 20 somethings went out and experienced the night life. We could take the kids swimming, then walk get to get an ice cream and the kids didn't mix their parents being gone.
Old May 20th, 2009, 05:40 PM

You need to decide on how long you will stay in Key West because some places have minimum stays. Best bet would put you in Old Town so you can walk or bike places and not have to deal with finding parking in a crowded town.
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:03 PM

I agree. Definitely stay in the Old Town area so you can walk to everything fun and not have to hassle with driving and parking. Stay at any place that is a short walk from Duval St., which is the main tourist area with all the great shops and restaurants.
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:49 AM

Unless I'm mistaken all rentals in Truman Annex require a 7 night stay. If you won't be staying that long, the Hyatt Resort & Marina on Front Street is family-friendly and is in a great location.
Old May 21st, 2009, 05:11 AM

Several of the B & B's also offer Apts. which are family friendly, unlike many of the B & B's. I'm not that keen on teh location of Truman Annex anyway. It is a bit of a hike to the main drag. Don't forget the Butterfly Museum, take a Trolley ride (a good thing to do to get your bearings as well if you've not been there before) & perhaps one of the Sunset boat trips. If you have a car, head out to Bahai Honda for a day. We usually stay on Simonton, a block off of Duval.
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions. We were hoping to keep it under$300 a night. During peak season the places are a little pricey. Any suggestions that are walking distance to Old Town? Southernmost? Doubletree? Santa Maria Suites?
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:10 PM

At the Casa Marina I've seen many children. I believe they have a separate pool for the kids. And they have a beach too. You can take the tram to the downtown. They might enjoy eating at Blue Heaven which has a flock of chicken milling around among and under the tables.
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:45 PM

Last time we were in KW with the kids they were 1 and 4. We stayed at Pier House. It was a great location!! There is a little private beach and a pool. It is right at the end of Duval. We were able to enjoy the sunset festivities on the pier but we were able to get away from the noise easily.

My Blue Heaven is great - the kids ran around after the chickens while we waited for our food.

I dont know what the prices are per night, but check it out.