Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Desperately need help with hotel/inn in Key West

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

I am taking my family to Keys in november. We'll be camping most of the days, but we want to spend 1 night (Sunday to Monday) in the heart of Key West. We are 2 adults and 2 kids. In ideal situation it should be 2 rooms (1 br suite will work fine) or 2 separate area, so we can put the youngest to bed earlier. I hope for a price around 200-250. So far I found available:
1. cottages at Courtney place
2. oceanview suite at Southernmost Point guest house
3. cottage at Merlin Guest House

All places have very mixed reviews, some people mention horrid smell, bed linens etc, while others praise the place)

PLEASE, HELP WITH SUGGESTIONS. (Kids are 9 and 1,5 y.o.)
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 01:15 PM

topping for you
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 04:23 PM

JMHO - Don't think Key West is really a kids place?!?! Only been once but no where I could imagine anyone under 18 being.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 05:22 PM

You could try Island City House or Casa Marina. There's also a resort on Roosevelt that seems very nice, but the name eludes me. Key West with kids means you don't do the bar crawl, but it has cool things they might enjoy.

There is a Pirate Museum, the Conch Train Tour, a butterfly garden, a lighthouse. Hemingway's house, except for the cats, might not be too exciting for them. When we were there in August, we noticed many people with kids and lots of strollers. I kept thinking of my own kids and I think they might have enjoyed it, especially since it's only one night.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 08:14 PM

I can't imagine why kids wouldn't love Key West. Many families go there. Why not, Thurstonbb?
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 05:35 AM

A lot of alternate lifestyle issues. A lot of places to stay are adult only. I did go to Provincetown when young though as we camped on Cape Cod. Didn't understand it all then. JMHO!
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Nothing wrong with taking kids to Key West. Kids should get a kick out of the tram tour, the Southernmost Point marker (especially if they are learning geography in school) Mallory Square at sunset, Duval St, and even the Hemingway House.

As for the alternate lifestyle thing, that's a personal decision if that would bother you.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 07:15 AM

Key West is wonderful for children! Island City House gets rave reviews and is very family-friendly. They have lots of different sorts of accommodations and I'm sure you could find something suitable. Your problem may be finding someplace that will rent for only one night - especially on a weekend in high season. The Best Western Hibiscus also gets great reviews and is more reasonably priced than many places.

I would NOT advise the Casa Marina, as it's been undergoing renovations and people have been complaining about the noise and disruption.

Nor would I advise anything on Roosevelt, which is WAY too far from Old Town, where you'll want to spend your time.

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 08:10 AM
GoTravel

Key West is a fabulous place for kids.

I would pick the oceanview suite at the Southernmost Point Guest House because it is on the opposite end of Duval.

At night, you'll want to be out of the noise and chaos that is the opposite end of Duval.

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Several years ago Southernmost Point Guest House was getting great reviews, but the most recent ones I've seen haven't been too good. I agree it's a good location, but I'm not sure it'd be the best choice.

I've read some really good reviews about the place across the street on the water (the name escapes me, but it's "Southernmost" something). Heck, ALL those places near the Southernmost point use that name...

And speaking of that, the Southernmost Hotel usually gets good reviews, too.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 03:25 PM

Last January I stayed at the Lighthouse Court Inn directly across the street from the Hemingway House. It's quiet, has a small pool and serves continental breakfast each morning. What's not to like?