Notices

Key West - Which hotel?

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 11:15 PM
em

Key West - Which hotel?

Hi,

I've managed to find the Key Lime Inn, Key Lodge, Blue Parrot and BW Hibiscus all for $99 in mid June. Can anyone recommend which of these would be best, or would it be worth paying another $20 for the Crowne Plaza?
Thanks

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 11:41 PM
George

I'd go for the Crowne Plaza. It's got a nice mid-town location. And whether or not you stay there, catch at least one sunset from the top. That, and the view in general, is spectacular!

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 04:31 AM
susan

I agree with George. The Crowne Plaza has recently been refurbished and it's in a great location. It's easily worth $20 more a night.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 04:40 AM
Grglnswsh

Tough choice. I guess it all depends on what you like because they are all a little different.
The Key Lime in is really cute and nice. It was renovated a few years ago and they really did a nice job. They have a couple different types of room but even the basic room is nice. They also have a good size pool area. I think they also offer a continental breakfast. The location is good, only a couple blocks from Duval Street and they do have parking.

The Blue Parrot is also in a good location (very close to The Key lime Inn). It is much small then The Key lime Inn and rooms are uniquely decorated. Some, I have heard but not in a while, are a little tacky. They do a nice breakfast in the morning too.

The Best Western is O.K. and a good choice if you want to stay in town but not a B&B or guest house. It is a motel and nothing more. Rooms are nice but nothing special. They have a good size pool area and offer a small continental breakfast. It is at the quiet end of Duval and one block over. So if you are planning on doing the party scene every night you might get a bit tired of the walk. Just a FYI, Duval Street runs about 14 blocks long with most of the bars tourist attractions between block 0 and block 700.

The Crown Plaza is in the thick of things (400 block of Duval). It is a very old building. They did room upgrades not too long ago so they could call themselves a Holiday Inn Crown Plaza instead of a basic Holiday Inn. Rooms are small and the pool area is not very nice. It is on a roof of one of the smaller buildings and overlooks nothing. I have heard some of the rooms smell musty but all older hotels down here have that problem. As far as Holiday Inns go, this is a nice one.

Last thing I want to add is really check into what type of room they are offering and where it is in the places you are looking at. If the Holiday Inn is going to offer you a room facing the parking lot and The Key Lime Inn has something pool side I would take the pool side room. But it all depends on what is important to you. Have a great trip.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Kristin

Grglnswsh, I have read many of your posts and found them to be very helpful. Thanks for your insight! I have booked the pool suite at Ambrosia for a weekend in August. I guess I was wondering if you could tell me what makes Ambrosia different... it gets so many good reviews but nothing very specific. I'd love to hear what you think. Thanks again for all of your informative posts!
Kristin

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Grglnswsh

Thanks for the nice words! Ambrosia is just a really cute B&B. The owner Kate and her staff are very accommodating. They just seem to really pay attention not only to detail but to also the guest. The location is in one of the neatest parts (IMO) of the island with a lot of beautiful cute old Conch homes. One point that might be a down side - It is one of the few if only B&B down here that accepts children and animals. It might be on a case by case basis but if you are looking to escape your own kids you might want to give a call and see if any families are staying there while you are down. Have a great trip!

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 01:13 PM
em

George, Susan & Grglnswsh,

Thanks for your help. I've booked the Crowne Plaza and am looking forward to the views!!

Em

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 05:55 PM
keyslover

For the best Keys experience you must stay in a B&B. Chain hotels or motels just don't do it.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Kristin

Thanks so much, Grglnswsh- I am excited about our getaway! Yes, we are trying to escape our kids, but I think we'll be fine with other people's kids as long as they don't keep us up all night! I will post my thoughts about Ambrosia when we return. Thanks again!