Key West in February

Nov 4th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Key West in February

This is EARLY February... never been to any keys. What shall I look for? I've got a whole day there. I like history, nature, walking, food. Thanks, listmates!
Nov 4th, 2005, 03:23 PM

I love Key West. Visit Earnest Hemingway's home...it's quite interesting, and the tour only takes about an hour. Honestly, Key West is mostly about bars, restaurants, souvenier shops, boutiques, art galleries. Oh, and did I mention bars? Alice's Restaurant is one of my favorites in Key West...it's not terribly expensive, and the menu is quite creative (try the black bottom key lime pie). I also like Mangoes and Bagatelle. If you will be there in the late afternoon/early evening, the daily Sunset Celebration in Mallory Square should not be missed. Sloppy Joe's is pretty touristy, but I still recommend popping in there for one margarita.
Nov 5th, 2005, 04:31 AM

Take a Conch Train tour of the island to learn it's history and over view of the island and some of the beautiful old houses. Visit the Truman's Little White House. There is also a light house, Audubon House and Mel Fisher's Atochia Museum (Spanish Galleon gold). I believe there is a butterfly house there now. And, yes, enjoy the Sunset celebration on Mallory Square. Watch Dominique's trained house cats.
Nov 5th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Definitely do Truman's Little White House, spend time walking through the downtown area and you'll run into lots of neat places. Lunch or dinner at Louie's Backyard is wonderful. It's an old victorian house right on the water. Be sure to ask for a table outside on the verandah.
Nov 5th, 2005, 12:56 PM

Is anyone sure that Louie's Backyard is still there?( Wilma) Storm surge did much damage. On that note, Where do I find info on the status of the rebuilding/repair to the Island of Key West or any of the other Keys for that matter?
Nov 5th, 2005, 05:13 PM

Best place to follow Key West/Keys cleanup efforts is at http://keysnews.com/ .

They estimate that 60-70% of the island was under water from Wilma. Got pretty rough down there....