Kenai Peninsula guidance

Search

Kenai Peninsula guidance

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenai Peninsula guidance

We are planning a trip to the Kenai Peninsula August 25-September 2. Trying to decide if we should pick base location (Cooper Landing area or another area if anyone has a suggestion) and travel daily to Homer and Seward from there (can anyone tell me how long a drive it is from Cooper Landing to Homer) or split our time in Homer (3 days) and Seward (3 days) with additional night in Girdwood. I'm a bit concerned about things I've read regarding traffic in Homer. We are mostly interested in wildlife viewing (via land and sea), however I would like to do a Halibut fishing excursion one day. (I am a total novice and am looking for suggestions on a patient captain - I will be going alone as my traveling companion is not interested in fishing.)

I'm trying to finalize our reservations - any help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. This will be our third trip to Alaska, but the first on our own. (Cruised the Inside Passage on our two previous trips.) Thanks!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 01:10 PM

Personally, I'd split my time between Homer and Seward. There's a good deal to do in both towns.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 02:17 PM

Click on your name and read answers to your almost identical post.

I have no idea what traffic in Homer you are talking about. We visited Homer dozens of times and I still don't have a clue what traffic you are referring to.

Splitting time between Girdwood, Seward and Homer sounds just right
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Pat. I'm a novice at a lot of things, including this site. I couldn't find my original posting and reposted. Anyway, thanks for the help and advice on my other posting.

Glad to hear the traffic isn't an issue.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:25 AM
jq

I would second the split time between Homer and Seward, and maybe one extra night around Anc to see that area.

We spent a week on a land tour in 2004 before a southbound cruise. After spending two nights in denali, we then headed to Homer for two nights and then on to Seward for one night before heading back to Anc to turn in car and catch early train back to Seward for our cruise. We had spent a night or two in Seward before so we only stayed one the last time.
We were in Homer at the time you are planning and had no traffic problem at all. You are at the end of the road---where is all this traffic going to go??? Most of the rv'ers have gone already. We even got a discount on our cabin in a meadow there, because it was late in the season.

Our main activity there was taking a one day bear viewing tour in Katmai NP with Hallo Bay Wilderness Camp. But upon returning in late afternoon, we ate out on spit and walked around. We also drove around whole area and wished we could be there when all the eagles are in town.
You will see a lot more by staying in these towns instead of driving the whole week. There isn't much to do in Coopers Landing except fish, which you can also do in Homer or Seward. I know they have a 2 for 1 coupon in toursaver book, and thats why they have it.

A bay trip in Katchmak Bay or trip over to Sedovia would be nice as is Katmai. Take the Kenai Fjords NP 6hr tour in Seward. May see whales, will see puffins, sea otters, millions of birds, glaciers.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. We have decided to do one night in Girdwood (Alyeska Prince Hotel), two nights in Seward (The Edgewater Hotel) and four nights in Homer (Land's End Resort).

Now to the task of deciding on excursions. I'm sure I'll be checking back for opinions on the best in wildlife cruises out of both Homer and Seward. We would love to do Katmai, but budget will prevent it this trip. We're starting out with three nights in Denali (Denali Backcountry Lodge), so hopefully we'll see bears there, although not the way we would if we went to Brooks Camp). Have done Neet's Bay Bear Watching while cruising and watched approximately 20 black bears feeding on salmon (including a mother and twin cubs that she nursed right in front of us).

Sorry - didn't mean to ramble, but it's so easy when talking about Alaska.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:11 AM

Every time we go to Wynn's Nature Center in Homer we see moose. Just be careful as grass there can be very tall and you may find yourself in front of a moose with a baby. That's what happened to us last summer. Amazing! A couple years ago we saw a wolf there too. Look for a porcupine near the entrance. I would start any visit with Pratt Museum in Homer.
Personally, I prefer to stay right in town in Homer instead at the very end of the Spit. For birds and hiking take a water taxi from the spit across the bay.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Pat - you made my day - my favorite creature on earth is Moose. We will definitely put this on our list of places to visit. Thanks for the suggestions. Do you have any preferences on the wildlife cruises?
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:00 AM

alaskafan21, we will always remember our whale watching trip with the Rainbow Tours from Homer. It took a long time, I think almost two hours, to get to our destination. The sea was somewhat rough that day, everything around us was fogged in. But once we got there we had one of the most amazing experiences. The sun came out, birds (puffins, auklets, mures, loons and many more) were everywhere. Then our captain Jack said "There she blows" and we saw our first humpback whale, then one more, then dozen more, then mothers with babies. They were all around, as curious of us being there as we were curious to see them putting such a fantastic show just for us. There were no other boats around. We had 7 people on our boat but the whales were all around us, swimming, blowing and breeching. Sometimes they were so close to us that I did not need my 300mm lens. I set my camera on "auto". There was no time for any adjustments. I still get goose bumps just thinking about seeing all those whales that day. Our crew estimated we saw at least 57 whales. Many whales are named as they can be seen on every tour and they return to the area year after year. Each whale can be recognized by unique markings.

Another unforgettable experience, every time, is a day trip bear watching in Katmai NP but Brooks Camp became a little too crowded for us.

You can often spot a moose across Beluga Lake in Homer if you go in the morning or late in the evening to the observation platform located in the road leading to the airport. You will need binoculars.

www.rainbowtours.net
www.emeraldairservice.com
www.akcoastalstudies.org
www.homeralaska.org
www.homeralaskacabins.com
www.cabinsinhomer.com

As to tours from Seward Budget Queen is the expert on this board
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 07:36 AM

Out of Seward the top Kenai Fjords boat trip is to Northwestern Glacier. www.kenaifjords.com is my preferred operator.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks BudgetQueen. What do you know of that operator's Captain's Choice 9-hour day cruise? I'm taken with the idea of sharing the boat with only 20 others. Thanks.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 03:07 PM

You are welcome as well, alaskafan21
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Sorry Pat - my bust. I really appreciate all your suggestions - they're already in with all my travel documents.

I would love to do the Brooks Camp at Katmai, but I imagine, as you stated, that with all the publicity it receives, it would be quite crowded. With the places we have chosen to stay, Brooks is a little pricey for us. Hopefully we'll get back to Alaska again in the future and we'll be able to do either Brooks or Kodiak -another area of interest for me - I'd love to see the giant bears!

I'm still reviewing the websites you included - extremely helpful. Thanks again for all your help!!!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 08:11 PM

alaskafan21, there is a small chance to see Kodiak bears right in Kodiak. You have the same chance to see bears in Homer as in Kodiak unless you fly just to see them. The funny thing is that if you go to Kodiak Island and take a flight to see bears it is possible they will fly you to Katmai NP and not anywhere on Kodiak. It is easier to get to Katmai NP from Homer than from Kodiak. Kodiak Island is a very interesting place to visit for 2-3 days but do not chose seeing bears as your main activity unless you take a day trip from there.

By the way, when we went in the beginning of September with Emerald Air to see bears in Katmai NP they were huge as they are preparing for hibernation by putting on lots of weight. They gain sometimes more than hundred pounds in order to survive. It is funny to see them so big with their full bellies almost to a ground. So if you want to see huge bears go in the end of August/September. They are big, slow and can hardly move.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 05:18 PM

Alaskafan21...if you have an opportunity for a lovely dinner while in Girdwood, I can strongly recommend the Double Muskey restaurant. However, they did not take reservations last year, so go early or prepare for a wait. The food was the very best on our entire trip! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 02:32 AM
z

alaskafan21, I brought this ttt for you since you posted more questions about wildlife viewing. I hope you are going to see everything and more you wish to see. Keep your eyes open and enjoy every moment of your trip.
Pat
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 04:48 PM

Alaskafan21-

If you haven't already booked accomodations at Lands End, you may want to consider Ocean House Inn. We thought the view was better there, from a slightly higher elevation, and accomodations were great.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I took stillhouse's advice and looked at the Ocean House Inn's website. I've now booked our rooms there for the four nights we'll be in Homer and will be cancelling the Land's End Resort rooms I had previously booked. The Ocean House looks very charming and I liked the idea of staying at a B&B and the price was exceptionally right! Thanks again - if anyone has additional suggestions, feel free to suggest away! I'm counting down the days - only 40 (plus a couple of hours) to go!
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 04:33 PM

When we decided to go to Alaska, Denali was the one destination we had in mind. After that, we chose locations based on driving distances. Homer was a last minute choice, and my favorite place. Highly recommend the Ocean House Inn.