Search

Kayaking to Cayo Costa State Park

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2004, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kayaking to Cayo Costa State Park

Hello.

My wife and I will be camping out at Cayo Costa State Park in December. We are both experienced kayakers and will hopefully be kayaking out to the island. If anyone has had any past experience(s) in regards to this, I would love to hear from you. How strong are the winds? Currents? How long did it take in terms of hours? How is the security for the boats? I believe it's 8 miles each way. Thank you in advance for your assistance!!!

Brian
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 04:15 PM

Where will you be kayaking from? You say it's 8 miles each way, so I'm not sure of your starting point.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

I believe that we'll be on Pine Island. In the vacintity of the Bookelia area. Thanks. Is there an easier way?

BK
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 06:17 PM

Wow, that's a long way. I hope someone more knowledgable than I can answer this question. I know that we took a boat shuttle from Pine Island to North Captiva, and it seemed like a long boat ride to us. Cayo Costa is just north of North Captiva. Cayo Costa is absolutely beautiful. If I were you, I'd be calling the shuttle services on Pine Island to ask them their opinion. The water seemed choppy to me when we went. We did stop off at Cabbage Key, maybe that's why it seemed to take so long to get there. I admire you for taking on such an adventure, but I would encourage you to seek out knowledgeable advice (more than just from this board unless someone here has done it already) before attempting it.