Kayaking on Cape Cod

Search

Kayaking on Cape Cod

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kayaking on Cape Cod

Hello, once again, Fodorites! Our trip to the Cape is 2 short weeks away & planning is in full swing. Planning to do a whale watch, a dunes tour and a Monomoy Seal tour. Also planning on some quality beach time. But what I'm most looking forward to is getting out on our kayaks & getting close to nature. Any suggestions on where we should go? We are staying in Truro & plan on spending some kayaking time in the Naussett Marsh. Anyone done that? Any pointers? Also looking into the Pamet River. Same questions...

Is there anywhere else that is good for kayaking? We might go into the bay, but I don't think I'm brave enough to put in on the ocean side. Our kayaks are not sea-kayaks.

Thanks again for any help you can send my way.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 05:33 PM

you can kayak on Mill Pond near the Pamet Harbor; gorgeous and special. go at high tide.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, jubilada. I see your name on a lot of Cape Cod threads, so I get the feeling you are either a local or a regular. So great of you to share your experiences. Can I ask another opinion? We want to do a seal tour out of Chatham. Have you done any? I know there are a couple of companies (Monomoy Island Ferry & Beachcomber, perhaps others.) Trying to figure out which way to go.

Will definitely add Mill Pond to our list. Thanks.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 02:57 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have taken the seal cruise out of Harwichport with Monomoy Island Excursions and liked it a lot. http://www.monomoysealcruise.com/General-Info.html
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 07:26 AM

Nauset marsh is a premier place to kayak but it helps if you have some guidance since it is very tidal and changes with every storm. I strongly suggest you consider going out with Dick Hilmer who knows the marsh and will enhance your day on the water. http://www.explorecapecod.com/
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 06:56 AM

If you're going to be around Harwich then the Swan Pond River is also a great kayaking spot. Not difficult but some great birding.
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Hi Pebble. I know that with a lot of ponds, etc., on the Cape you have to have a town parking permit. Is that true of the Swan Pond River area?
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Well, found that kayaking on the Cape is not such an easy thing to do. Every town wants you to pay big to put your kayak in their waters. We only ended up kayaking once. We went down to Salt Pond/Nauset Marsh & it was GORGEOUS, but I could see how it could be tricky. You have to watch the tide charts. We started out at low tide & by the time the tide came in and WE came in, the landscape had totally changed. We had kept to a pretty straight-forward route instead of heading into the inlets throughout, so it was easy to get back. It would be VERY easy to get lost in the marsh. And it is hard work! We didn't get out until Thursday - the tides just weren't in our favor til then. Planned on going back on Friday but were way too exhausted! Maybe next year! WILL be back to do it again.

BTW, if you decide to kayak the marsh, there are 2 places to put in: at the end of Salt Pond road or (our personal favorite choice) Hemenway Rd - drop your kayaks off, then park on the rd - parking lot is sticker lot. Easy in, easy out. Not sure if Salt Pond is a sticker lot, but it does have a port-o-let & well worth the paddle in if you need to "pay a visit" during your tour.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 04:34 PM

You can also kayak on the ponds in Wellfleet, no sticker needed after 5.
The seal tour I have been on is run by Audubon and it was wonderful as their offerings usually are . we always choose them over commercial ventures.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Hey Jubilada - wanted to kayak on Gull Pond - even called the town - we are early morning kayakers. They said that once 9am arrives, we'd be ticketed, so we opted out. Late afternoon sounds nice, but we're usually shot by then. Love the idea of the Audubon seal tour. Learned my lesson the hard way. We wanted to get to the Audubon center but ran out of time. So much to do, so little time
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 06:06 PM

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Bass River, mid Cape.

Really nice scenery, migratory birds, and another one of those bodies of water where checking the tides is a good idea. Ride the low tide out towards Nantucket Sound, and return back to the Dennisport/SSouth Yarmouth areas with the tide.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 05:19 AM

Hi there. If your kayaks are not really sea kayaks, hmm-might you considered leaving them home and just renting from a place that will even put your kayak right in the water? I kayaked outside of Goose Hummock-they put kayak in water for me-right in Orleans. It was great, beautiful, but hard work, even though waters so placid. I wouold seriously consider stopping in the the Salt Pond Visitors Center to get all the info you need on kayaking and everything on the Cape. They are wonderful! They also have tide charts, maps, beach guide, classes (free), canoe and kayaking right nearby-dirt cheap- and are so friendly. http://www.nps.gov/caco/planyourvisi...torcenters.htm

This guide online for kayaking at the Cape is also really good: http://www.best-of-cape-cod.com/cape-cod-kayaking.html

kayaking around First Encounter Beach in Eastham is beautiful and placid, but KNOW THE TIDES or you could get stuck miles out and have to WALK your kayak back in, or be wayyyy out and have another problem. Best of luck!
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 05:22 AM

Hawaii: yes, the ponds require stickers during the day. that is the main reason we stayed in Wellfleet for many many years. now we just go in September, the best time on the cape, IMO. No crowds, things still open, water is warm, no beach stickers needed anywhere.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 01:29 PM

Glad you enjoyed Nauset Marsh and that you heeded the advice to watch the tides! For a more extensive trip around the marsh next time, consider going with Dick Hilmer.....really, you will get an education and see things you will otherwise surely miss.