Reload this Page >

Kauai-Which Part of North Shore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:25 PM
stjohnbound

Would like to visit Kauai in April 2004 and definitely have decided on the North Shore. Where would you stay?? Hanalei looks like a great place but most of the postings are for the Princeville area. Looking to stay in a one bedroom condo or villa with great view. Wouldn't mind staying at a hotel but not the Princeville - doesn't seem like my kind of place. After Kauai, hope to go to Big Island and stay in Volcano at Kilauea Lodge. Any comments??

Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are looking into Pu'u Po'a next to the Princeville. The views look awesome and it is within walking distance to the Princeville. Check out more on this site. The comments about Pu'u Po'a are all positive. I don't know about 1 bedrooms. We will stay in a 2 bedroom. The rate is only $1750.00 per week plus tax plus cleaning fee. ($200.00 extra if there are 4 people)
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:06 PM

Check out vrbo.com -click on Hawaiian islands then go to Kaua'i - then Princeville area - there are many to choose from great condos with ocean view in all price ranges - pictures of units and grounds plus prices - this may help you in deciding.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:53 PM

Aloha stjohnbound,

We stayed at the P'uu P'oa a few years ago and loved it. VERY spacious, 1000 sq. ft. if I recall, set up on the cliff w/ lanai's or walk out patios.

It is situated directly next door to the Princeville Resort, so you get the million dollar view w/o the pricetag. You also can walk over for whatever.

We like doing our own dinners, as DH is a wonderful "chef", so we will stock up at Foodland and save MUCH $$.

The views are spectacular from the units. They are individually owned, so they'll all be decorated differently, but do a search, and you'll find the info. Great little spot.

Aloha!!

Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:02 PM

BTW stjohnbound,

Hanalei is not far at all from Princeville, 10-15 minute lovely drive.
The difference in accomadations is that in Hanalei you will be more at sea level, as opposed to Princeville, where most of the lodging will be cliff-top w/ paths down to the beaches.

There are many posts here about the Hanalei Bay Resort... mixed reviews.

Happy planning.... you've selected my very favorite HI spot!!!
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:59 PM

We love the North Shore of Kauai! Last time we stayed at one of the Hanalei Bay Villas (www.kauaivilla.com). It was within walking distance of Pu'u Po'a and the Princeville Hotel. We had a beach day at the Princeville and also ate at their Seafood Buffet. The only "down" side to staying in Princeville was that you had to hike down the cliff to get to the beach. However, the payoff was the magical evening we had watching the sun go down on an almost deserted Hideaways Beach.

Next year, we have booked a beach villa right on Anini Beach. I look forward to having the beach right outside my door. While there, I'm going to check out these cottages, right on Hanalei Bay: http://rentalo.com/properties/images/5239.html
Good luck in your search!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 09:27 AM
stjohnbound

Thank you to everyone! Appreciate especially learning that staying at Hanalei will be at sea level as opposed to cliffs at Princeville. Definitely want the cliffs! Will check into everyone's suggestions, especially Puu Poa--sounds great.

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:36 AM

Pali Ke Kua is a great and reasonably priced condo development right next to Puu Poa. We rented this condo last year--highly recommended.

http://www.ndhi.com/pkk/
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 09:27 AM

Have stayed at Hanalei Bay Resort several times and loved it. The Bali Hai Bar is a great spot to have a drink. The scenery is magnificent. A golf cart takes you up and down the cliff to enjoy the beach.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 05:31 AM

STJ Bound -

I second the suggestion of Pali Ke Kua. We have stayed there on our last three visits to the North shore. There are some absolutely wonderful units with unobstructed views of Bali Hai and Hanalei Bay. The short walk to Hideway Beach is a treat and PKK is located in the Princeville complex which is lovely if you like to walk or run. There are also quite a few restaurants in this complex and the Happy Talk Lounge in the Hanalei Bay complex is always a fun stop for happy hour and nightly entertainment not to mention the wonderful views of Bali Hai.

P.S. We just returned from St. John this past weekend and this island has become an annual trip and is our second fav after Kauai!