What do you think about this Kauai property

Old Jan 4th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think about this Kauai property

Big family reunion has gone away with financial problems.

However, our 40th anniversary needs celebration!

What do you know about this area/condo.

Looking for May/June for the two of us.

http://www.summitpacificinc.com/9222.html
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 05:11 PM

That is a great time of year on the north shore. That view of Hanalei Bay is a million dollar view.

I don't know that particualr unit, but the complex is nice and sprawls down the hill towards Hanalei Bay. I'd read the reviews on tripadvisor and see if this unit is mentioned in any of the comments. There have been lots of comments about the variability of the units. This one looks nice.

Princeville is a LARGE planned resort/residential community built on a flat plateau on cliffs above the Pacific. Golg courses, shopping, eating all with the gorgeous north shore mountains as a back drop.

You'll be within 10 minutes of Hanalei another 15 minutes further to Tunnels and Ke'e beaches. Kapa'a is 30 minutes, Lihue, 45 minutes, Poipu, 75 minutes, Waimea Canyon, about 2 hours.

I love the north shore.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 05:46 PM

We are also looking for something similar at the end of May. Is there anything that is simple, but in that general location and on the beach?
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 06:03 PM

Hi cabo,

There some beachfront homes (across a narrow lane) on Anini Beach. There are some beach front places in Hanalei (Hanalei Moon Cottage being the least expensive) and there are some beachfront homes and cottages in Haena and Wainiha further up the road.

There are lots of oceanfront condos in Princeville, but they are on the top of the cliffs, with beaches below accesible by trails. Pali Ke Kua, Pu'u Pao, the Cliffs and Sealodge are all oceanfront condos in Princeville.

Most of the cottages that are beachfront in Hanalei run between $3500 and #20,000 a week. The beachfront homes in Haena run about the same. Hanalei Moon is an exception.

http://www.aloha.net/~seek/

Hale Makai Cottages might be worth looking into.

Old Jan 4th, 2009, 06:51 PM

Very cool! Thanks for letting me tag on to this post!
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 07:18 PM

We have visited Hannalei Bay twice and loved it. It is our favorite beach!

We stayed actually down at Hannalei the first time we visited Hawaii and were within walking distance from the beach. We went almost every day. Hannelei has 3 or 4 different parking areas with showers and facilities. We saw two famous celebrities on the beach. Hannalei is very quaint as the tour buses cannot get there due to the one lane bridges. The beach was never very crowded and it is somewhat protected in the bay. There are places on this particular beach where you can surf and also places where your kids (If you are taking any) can go out pretty far and there are no waves...yes in the same bay!

Last year, we stayed in one of the private homes (found on vrbo.com) above Princeville and enjoyed the jogging trails, access to the tennis courts, the great weather, closeness to Queens Bath and to the grocery store. These particular houses are on the road to the Princeville condos that you are asking about. These homes seemed to be less expensive, but really nice. The one thing that I didn't care for was having to drive to the beach.

There are great things about both properties. I am sure that either one will work for you.

If I had to go back and had the money, I would stay at Hannalei Bay, or close to it. It is a little more secluded.

Just my two cents.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 07:27 AM

I, too, love Hanalei. However, the water is too rough for swimming in the winter months, so you just have to sit and watch the surfers. In May/June, when rncheryl wants to visit, the water should be very nice for swimming.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 07:42 AM

cheryl, there is a person on the tripadvisor Hawaii forums that owns and rents condos at Hanalei Bay. Her name is jebett...check it out. I notice she is a big help to a lot of people.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 07:45 AM

Oh, and I meant to tell you that I inquired with the owner(Doug Porter) about this particular condo a few years ago. He was very helpful and answered all of my questions totally. Sent me references that I could email to check him out!! I don't recall why we didn't stay there, but I think it would be great.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

I will never cease to be amazed at the information you Fodorites can give.

I checked TripAdvisor and JeBett review. Says 9222 has a beautiful view of the Bay.

Will book the condo this week, and thanking you all in advance for your help.

Thanks to all.
Cheryl
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 04:33 AM

cheryl, will you by any chance be on Kauai before May 26th? We get there on the 13th and leave at 9 p.m. on the 26th.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 10:59 AM

ttt