Kauai-PuuPoa or The Cliffs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2012, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to rent a condo for 6 nights on Kauai for a family of 4. I've narrowed it down to Puu Poa and The Cliffs, possibly Pali Ke Kua although that looks a little further from beaches. Any advice? They all look similar in price. We're hoping to be able to walk to a beach. Thanks.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 08:04 AM
jcb

I have stayed at Puu Poa before, and we loved it! however, if you stay there, I strongly suggest that you do NOT stay in a unit that has converted one of the lanais to more interior space. That conversion makes the unit much hotter.

When are you going?

The trail down to the beach is steep. It has stairs and ropes to hold on to. How old are your kids? Our then 5 year old had no problem with it, but our younger one had to be carried down by my husband. Also, in winter, this beach can be unsafe due to the tides. There is a YouTube video on the hike down somewhere out there.

Puu Poa is next door to the St Regis - great place to get a drink and watch the sunset. We watched the sunset every night from either the lawn outside Puu Poa, the St Regis lawn or down by the bridge.

In general, Puu Poa is a nicer complex and more expensive. units are individually owned, so decor will vary greatly.

FYI, a fantastic beach, Hanalei Bay is a 10 minute drive away.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 08:09 AM
jcb

Also, does Pali Ke Kua have a loft? If so, for that reason I would not stay there if someone wakes up early.

I wake up at 3 or 4 a.m. In Kauai, so it is important to me to be able to shut the bedroom doors while I make coffee and hang out in the living room or lanai while everyone else sleeps.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. Our kids are older, 16 and soon-to-be 13, so should be able to handle the stairs. I was hoping there was a beach within walking distance. We'll be going in mid-April. I had wondered about a/c that time of year as it looks like many units don't have it. Puu Poa looks nice and I like that you can walk to the St. Regis. The upper units look like you'll have more of a view. Good to know about Hanalei Bay too. Thanks for the advice.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 01:55 PM

The best beach is a bit futher out - at Ke'e - over 7 one lane bridges. Don't leave anything valuable in plain sight in the rental car though.

We have a timeshare at Cliffs - and the loft units have a separate bedroom - with it's own bath and there is one in the living room area for the loft.

There is also a beach just below the St. Regis which you can walk to from the Hanalei Colony resort - or at least you used to be able to.

There is also another walkway - paved as I recall - down to another beach - before you get to the St.Regis.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Tomsd, can you walk from the Cliffs to the St. Regis (for drinks at sunset)? The pool at the Cliffs looks nicer than the one at Puu Poa (important for the kids) but as long as we have a beach close to walk to, that may not be as important. I couldn't figure out if the Cliffs had a beach close by. Also, in the lofts at the Cliffs, do you need a/c in April? Thanks.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 06:24 PM

There are no beaches within comfortable walking distance from the Cliffs. This map shows the location of condos and beaches:

http://www.hawaiigaga.com/kauai-condos.aspx

I would categorize Puu Poa as a luxury complex, so you can expect to pay considerably more than at the Cliffs. Units are large, all have good - awesome views, 2 bedroom. On the other hand the Cliffs pool is better, and they have a basketball court and tennis courts.

You don't need AC in April (IMO you never need AC in Princeville), given the trade winds.

Hideaways beach is directly below Puu Poa. In April conditions will vary. I'd say about a 50% chance of good snorkeling on any given day. Puu Poa beach is about a 8 minute walk away, through the St. Regis next door. It's a small beach, marginal snorkeling, but can handle rougher conditions.

There's a modest beach directly below Pali Ke Kua. It neighbors Hideaways beach, but doesn't have good swimming because of rocks.

There are tons of great beaches within 10-15 minutes drive. Excellent time of year for surfing lessons at Hanalei Bay, which your boys may enjoy.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

That map is just what I needed. We'll focus on Puu Poa. Thanks for all the advice.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 03:43 AM

I/we have hiked down the hill from the Cliffs to the ocean - and done some snorkeling there, but not sure if you can still do that.

The St. Regis is a long walk from the Cliffs - a mile or so?

To me - it's all about what you want to spend for your room. I would rather spend less for a room - assuming it had a view and the Condos/suites at the Cliffs are definitely nice and the other place could be nicer - but I haven't been to the other place for quite some time.

And don't forget to explore over at the Anihola beach either - which is back toward the lighthouse/Kileaua. They have a restroom there also. see below:

Seems you have done your research, but have you taken the virtual tour of the Cliffs? http://www.cliffsatprinceville.com/virtualtour.php

http://www.google.com/search?q=anaho...w=1253&bih=660
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 03:46 AM

Or was it Anini beach I was thinking of? Anini and Anahola are next to each other and I took a wind surfing lesson at one, and it also has a Polo field - where Sly Stallone used to play there.

Actually - it think it was Anini beach, which is right next to Anahola - and I think you take the same road in - but I could be wrong. There is also snorkeling there if that interests you. About 10 minutes max from the Princeville area.

see: http://www.google.com/search?q=anaho...w=1253&bih=660
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 03:50 AM

Maybe that webpage covers both Anini and Anahola - but here is a pic of Anini. Plenty of parking there, as there is at the St. Regis if you decide to drive down there for a morning coffe and a great view of Bali Hai from out on their deck.

http://www.hawaiigaga.com/kauai-condos.aspx
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. The beaches look wonderful. All of this helps in the decision making.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 09:45 PM

Tomsd -- You're thinking of Anini. It's actually, about a ten minute drive from there to Anahola. I love both of them ;-)

To the OP ... I assume you'll have a car--and there are so many fantastic beaches close by. Why limit yourself to those you can walk to? I'd try lots of them, being sure to visit Hanalei Bay, Anini, Lumahai, Ke'e, Tunnels, ... Gosh, you're going to be busy!

Enjoy!