Asilomar conference center

Old Jan 25th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asilomar conference center

I am considering a 5 day retreat at Asilomar in November and am seeking information gleaned from personal experience of staying there.
It looks lovely but is quite a bit more expensive than my usual retreat budget so am wondering about what it is like. I am attracted by proximity to the sea, historical architecture, pool. Am wondering about comfort level ( good beds?) and, less importantly, food, because meals are inherent part of this particular retreat process so will not be eating elsewhere.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 11:01 AM

I have attended retreats there. Rooms and beds were very good as was the food. The architecture is beautiful. The location is spectacular. You are in a forest but can walk to the beach. It's pretty idyllic.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 11:03 AM

One more thing, bring warm jackets. It can get very cold, windy, and foggy there at times.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 12:12 PM
SAB

I used to really like staying at Asilomar, especially when we were able to get ocean view rooms. I was never fond of the historic rooms--too creaky and noisy for me. It was rustic, but not run down. It is a great location, with easy access to Asilomar Beach, Spanish Bay and beyond. But I haven't been since there was a management change, which has resulted in negative reviews regarding service, and the upkeep of the rooms. The reviews are disturbing enough to me, that I have not wanted to go back.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

SAB, do you mean trip advisor reviews? I haven't checked them yet ( I will ) because the retreat is one I have done before and find the teacher very helpful, but I have been to it at Mount Madonna in Watsonville, a much more basic place.
But your response gives me pause.

and I wouldn't have thought about bringing a warm jacket? wow, I'm surprised as the pool is open all year! But if I go I will do that.
Thanks to you both.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 04:05 PM

I stayed there many years ago so my comments about beds or food wouldn't be very helpful, except to say that the historic room we had was really miniscule. However, IMHO, the location is wonderfully close to rocks, tidepools, water and walking paths. I would definitely return again and take my chances with beds and meals (although we'd probably only eat breakfast there.)
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

In a retreat context a miniscule room isn't unusual. I have been on week or two week long retreats staying in former monk's cells, so I don't mind that, but as I age I need a decent bed with a box spring. I am not sure how much choice I would have in room, especially since I would want a single.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 09:37 PM

This has been 2-3 years ago....I stayed in the "historic" room one of 4-5 in "historic" building. quiet, clean, no TV..no phone. Room had corner windows with small desk..It was like stepping back to 40s-50s.
Another time, had room in a "motel" like complex..Big sliding glass door on to small deck, TV, fireplace..all very modern. This was more expensive..
Both stays I opted for meals--which were excellent.
As I recall, both rooms had very comfortable beds.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, traveler 24. What's interesting about the retreat rate is that it is the same regardless of room type, so one can do well or badly.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 11:09 AM
SAB

jubilada, I believe that single rooms are only available in the historic buildings. The reviews that I referenced were tripadvisor, yelp and others and were by people who had been to Asilomar before. Reviews by people who had never been before are not terribly useful to me because many display a misunderstanding of what Asilomar is or isn't (i.e. complaints about no TV, being rustic, etc).
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 11:42 AM
SAB

BTW Asilomar is not that peaceful IF there is a big conference going on. Last time I was there, there was a huge conference and lots of people everywhere. Fortunately, after many visits we were not around the actual grounds that much. If you do go, be sure to walk along the beach boardwalk south of Asilomar beach, it will take you to Spanish Bay and into Pebble Beach and you can walk along 17 mile drive (just watch out for those tourists in cars!!!).
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

well, we will be about 150 people at our retreat, which is mostly silent, but there are over 300 rooms, so I guess thee could be another conference easily. I think I will check that out, thanks.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 07:15 PM

Usually when you are on an organized retreat, everyone is housed in the same building or buildings. If the type of people who attend your retreat are quiet, then your building will be quiet. Asilomar is lovely for a conference or retreat. I haven't been there for quite a few years, but the location is truly beautiful. Whenever we used the pool, we had it to ourselves. The weather is often foggy and cool as the grounds are right on the ocean. The pool is in a sheltered location though. Definitely take warm layers.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

yes, we will be housed in several buildings together and also have meals in a separate space as
they are silent too. It sounds gorgeous. If i can, i will go.
I thank you all for your help.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 05:17 AM

Below is the review that I posted on Trip Advisor. I would definitely stay here, but select building carefully. Also please note, that even if you have an ocean view, it does not mean that you are close to the ocean--still several blocks off.

As you'll see my initial reaction was to flee, but I really liked it.

Interesting property”

Reviewed June 23, 2010 1person found this review helpful
After reading very mixed reviews I decided to take a chance on this property figuring, like others we'd either love it or hate it. Several tour guides commented on the lovely beach and I had the impression that the lodging was closer to the beach than it actually is. I had called the front desk directly to book, rather than going through central reservations since I wanted to ensure that we had a room with two beds, and hopefully, a view of the beach. I was told that their policy was not to guarantee either bedding type or view but I explained that since I was traveling with a friend I definitely wanted two beds. The helpful receptionist told me that they had one view room left, and while not guaranteed, would probably be available for me.

When we arrived, they had indeed held this room. However, I was shocked by how spartan and outdated the large room was, and by how distant the view of the ocean was. Chairs were not provided on the common walkway in front of the rooms. During the two days we stayed, I explored the property and found that some of the historic buildings, although described as more basic (and slightly cheaper) actually would have been much nicer.

The property offered a very interesting audiotour which highlighted the architecture, history and enviornment. There was a raised boardwalk on the dunes which afforded fine views of the ocean to which it eventually led. The beach was lovely and dotted with boulders.

Breakfast was included and offered in a huge dining hall at tables shared with other guests. A different hot entree was offered each day and there were multiple cereals, great yoghurt and toppings including fresh strawberries, breakfast breads, etc.

Although there were many groups staying on the property, I only realized this at breakfast. It was never noisy at night, although this could have been because our building was on an outer edge of the property.

While my initial reaction was to try to get out of our reservation, the property grew on me. We met several people who had come back many times over the years. I would strongly recommend asking the property to send you a map of the property and to discuss the characteristics of the different buildings. I would have preferred a lovely rustic room in a building with a great room and fireplace than the room with the distant ocean view and musty carpet.