Kauai or Big Island - December or January

Oct 28th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Uma
Original Poster

Kauai or Big Island - December or January

Considering Kauai(where we've been before) or the Big Island (where we haven't been) for 5-7 days. Could go in mid-December or mid-January. Which island, and month, would you recommend? Best time and place to see whales? Opportunities to
snorkel?
Oct 28th, 2010, 09:09 AM

Kauai all the way! but if you've been there before and not the Big Island- might as well see the Big Island just to see something new....although i absolutley am in love with Kauai!

Happy travels
Oct 28th, 2010, 09:25 AM

My suggestion is the Big Island, especially at that time of year. Based simply on our experience in January.

We were visiting Kauai for one week, the first of January, and then went to the Big Island for one week. It rained every single day on Kauai, which we were told was quite common January weather. But the Big Island, being furthest south, had great weather when we got there the second week.
Oct 28th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Uma
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Any difference between December and January weather?
Oct 28th, 2010, 02:10 PM

I've enjoyed Kauai pre christmas and loved it. January will be better for whales on BI.
With only 5 nights, I'd either opt for North Kohola Coast or either side of Kauai. Really comes down to a resort destination or an island destination - one being a lounge lizard, the other being an explorer. Define that and you may get some helpful advice.
Oct 28th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Uma
Original Poster

Kealalani,

We're more the explorer and island destination type. Not much for laying around by the pool. We could spend a whole week.
Oct 28th, 2010, 03:50 PM

Kauai can be very wet over the winter. Not necessarily a bad thing since it's makes everything so green, unless you're looking to lay out in the sun. The safest bet over the winter is the lee side of any of the islands: Waikiki or Ko Olina on Oahu; Kaanapali or Wailea on Maui; Poipu on Kauai; Kona on the Big Island (Hawaii).
Oct 31st, 2010, 06:03 PM

both are great but why not experience an island you haven't seen before. Big Island is very different and yet still very beautiful. We stayed at the Fairmont Orchid (deal thru Costco) last September and loved it. Try to get around the island - whole days trip as it is very big - hence the BIG Island! Hilo is very different than the Kona side and the volcano is awesome. have a great trip Aloha - we are going to Kauai in February for my 65th. it will be our 12 trip since we got married 28 years ago. Spent our 25th in Kauai as well - as you can tell it is our favorite.
Nov 1st, 2010, 08:28 AM
Uma
Original Poster

Thanks, Shar. And happy upcoming 65th! Nice way to spend a birthday!
Nov 17th, 2010, 06:21 AM

We were on Big Island in mid-December 2007. It was not very rainy (everywhere but Hilo), and Kona side was fantastic that time of year. Some our our best activities included exploring Volcanoes National Park, hiking down Waipio valley, kayaking across K Bay and snorkeling near the Cook monument, and driving up to the Kohala coast and stopping in little towns like Hamakua. I highly recommend it!
Nov 17th, 2010, 11:58 AM

If you go to the Big Island, you will see Whales and Dolphins. The Big Island has lots of different whales year round, where as the other islands mainly have tours for Humpback whales. I'm not sure about whale watching tours from kauai though.
This tour runs year round, and you can expect to see lots of whales, including massive Humpbacks and dolphins too.
http://www.hawaiicruiseexcursions.co...nAndWhales.htm
On the Big Island, you can also check out the Volcanos.
Kauai is pretty amazing too...but if you are wanting Whales, I vote for Big Island.