where to go for a two day trip neaf SFO area

Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to go for a two day trip neaf SFO area

Hi,

We are planning for a two - three day outing during the thanksgiving weekend and we are looking for suggestions. We have been to Yosemite, Monterey Bay, Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay, Los Angeles and Los Vegas. So we are looking for suggestions.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 08:04 AM

Lake Tahoe?
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

I heard Lake tahoe is very good more towards teh christams time. So i was reserving it for christmas time
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 08:42 AM

I see. Have you booked it yet, because either holiday will be really busy.

Maybe someplace north of SF:

Napa or Sonoma?

Point Reyes?
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 10:00 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I is getting quite late to be booking that weekend -- but maybe up at Ft Bragg/Mendocino.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 10:32 AM

That should read >>It is getting quite late . . .
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 12:30 PM

Wine country? A cabin via VRBO or Homeaway near Sonoma, Guerneville, etc?
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 07:26 PM

Big Sur?

Have you thought about just staying in San Francisco?
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 08:14 PM

iamq's response brings up some questions I have about your request. SFO is the airport code for the San Francisco International Airport. Is it your plan to fly there from somewhere and then take your 2-3 day outing from there? And you don't list San Francisco as one of the places you've been, so it's reasonable to suggest, as iamq does, to simply take 2-3 days in San Francisco as your outing. Please clarify your intent.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 06:05 AM

Have you been up to Point Reyes National Seashore? If you don't spend all your time in San Francisco that would make a nice trip for a couple of days.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thanks for all your responses.

to answer dbdurand , I stay in Fremont and so I dont have to fly. I am planning to visit SFO area over the next couple of weekends. Another thought I wa sthinking of is to stay in a beach facing hotel and spend time at the beach since my kid loves the sea. However I guess the water here is very cold and hence getting into water staying there for a long time is not possible. DO you know of any beach facing hotels or lodgings where the sea doe snot have cold water. and the hotels not being very costly
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 08:26 AM

The water along the entire Pacific coast is cold during the winter months, and frankly isn't much warmer during the summer except in southern California. Add to that the high probability of rain and the beach hotels are something you stay in to watch the waves and sunsets and walk along the shore if the weather allows, not to frolick in the surf. Go to Hawaii if you want water warm enough to swim in..
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 08:34 AM

look_for_leisure: The comments/confusion about the airport are because 'SFO' means San Francisco International Airport. It doesn't mean the city of San Francisco. That is why some thought you were flying in. I assumed you were just using SFO as shorthand for the city. And you did it again in your latest post. It will help in future if you use San Francisco or even SF - then everyone will know what you are talking about.

As for a waterfront/beachfront hotel w/ warm water -- not in California and especially not in northern California.

All of the suggestions above are reasonable for 2 or 3 days.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

sorry about that. hence forth I will try to use the full name San Fransisco instead of SFO.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 07:02 PM

OH -- "SF" works just fine. It is that O that messes things up
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 08:23 PM

Hah ... I did that SFO thing for the first year we lived in Norcal ... eventally, I got it!
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 10:28 PM

Given your constraints, I would explore San Francisco as others have suggested. Or, I would go down to Santa Barbara. You can't swim in the ocean there either, but I always thought it was so beautiful, both the coastline and the city. As a detour on the way down, Hearst Castle. I myself have never been, but have seen PBS specials on it and it is on my own list for someday.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 08:16 AM

I've been hesitant about suggesting Sacramento because I thought that you probably have been there since you are so close by in Fremont. But you didn't mention it in your list of places that you have visited. So maybe you just haven't gotten around to it.

So---I suggest Sacramento and the gold country for your 2-3 day outing. The Sacramento river (the largest in California) affords the opportunity for activities such as river cruises, including dinner cruises. Maybe kayaking; I'm not sure about that. Then there's an extensive Old Town, and the Railroad Museum, stated to be the most popular in the US with 600,000 visitors per year.

The State Capitol is great because when it came time to retrofit it for earthquake safety, they almost decided to tear it down. Instead, they restored it to its early 1900's condition even to the extent of fabricating tiles exactly as shown in old photographs. By all means take the guided tour.

Sutter's Fort and the old Governor's mansion are well worth visits.

The gold country (Sutter's mill, and a few picturesque towns) is only about an hour east of Sacramento.

On your way to or from Sacramento, consider stopping at the Jelly Belly factory in Fairfield. They give a very good tour. But not on Thanksgiving. I checked.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 08:24 AM

Sorry, but I can't imagine spending 3 days in Sacramento and the Gold Country (and yes I've been to both on more than one occasion). I think half a day in Sacramento, and half a day in the Gold Country on your way to somewhere else is warranted, but not on their own. Flame me all you want, but I'd be totally bored.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 09:44 AM

"Flame me all you want, but I'd be totally bored."

BIG BIG flame!!

Not counting Sacramento (which is good for a minimum one full day) one could easily spend a week in the foothills w/o seeing it all. There are vineyards/wineries all through the area but especially in Amador County around Plymouth. This is exactly what Napa/Sonoma was 25 years ago before they got all full of themselves. Beautiful vineyards/scenery and friendly tasting rooms. Meet and talk to the actual wine makers, free tasting and GREAT wines, especially reds and Ports.

Gold Rush era towns/villages w/ lots of good restaurants/cafes/pubs, antique shops, art galleries.

White water rafting on several rivers/forks, day hikes, nature walks.

Caves and caverns all through the area.

Historic gold mines and Sutter's Mill.

Columbia State Park which is unique.

And that is just the short list . . . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -