Search

Kauai movie tour

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai movie tour

Has anyone gone on the Kauai movie tour. It sounds kind of cool, but is $95/person. Is is worth it? The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook doesn't mention it. Thanks for any info.
Bonnie
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 08:37 PM

They have 2 tours. One is in a large van, sorta like a rental car shuttle bus. They travel from the east shore to the north shore. There is a TV monitor in the van/bus and movie clips are shown as the van arrives at the scenes. The tour guides can really yack. Also, there is "mandatory" singing when the bus gets to the South PAcific site.

The other tour is in a rugged 4X4 van and goes into the interior of Kauai, off the beaten path, to see up close Jurassic Park sites.

Both tours have picnic lunches included.

You can also just stop by Walmart or Borders or KMart and pick up a copy of the Kauai Movie Book and do your own tour!

Do your homework and rent South Pacific, Blue Hawaii, Honeymoon in Vegas, Jurassic PArk, Donovan's Reef, Indiana Jones, Outbreak, Lost World, 6 Days 7 Nights before your trip.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:47 AM

If you do your own tour, are the sights pretty easy to find on your own? I have thought about the tour for us when we go in a couple of weeks.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 09:19 AM

If you are a movie buff, I would recommend the tour as you will get a 5 hour running commentary and more info than you can possible process, LOL.

Some of the sites are easy to find on your own, other take more expert guidance. For example, the "gates" to Jurassic Park are not easy to find on your own. ALso, the movie tour has permission to enter the shuttered Coco Palms property (Blue Hawaii.)

Sites from South Pacific (Lumahai Beach, Hanalei pier, Kalapaki Bay), Indiana Jones (Huleia River), Outbreak (Kamokila Village), Fantasy Island (Wailua Falls) are easy to find.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 05:34 AM
MMN

I did the Movie Tour with my new husband last July.
We went on our 1st full day in Kauai. It was great for giving us a good tour of the island right off the bat. We saw sights on the South/East and North Shores. The Coco Palms was cool & we love having pictures from there...Gilligan's Island original location was also neat.
It's hard to say how much we would recommend it though. We got some very cool pictures from sites we might not otherwise have found - or might have spent an afternoon looking for. And we're glad we have those...however,
it was a little expensive for such a trip. And the guide was a little cheesy.
We stayed on the East side so we were only 5 minutes from the departure location - that helped a lot. A couple on our tour from the Hyatt had a 1 hour ride up before the tour left and a 1 hour ride back afterwards. I think that made the whole experience a little less desirable for them. That would have made me feel it was less worth it.....I think.
Also...she and I thought it was kind of cool but I think both the guys were thinking rip-off.
Don't know if the helps at all...but feel free to ask more questions if you need more info.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 11:58 AM

I agree do so reserch and take the sites in by yourself. We did and it took the same amount of time but more time to browse. The palm groves and hotel where blue hawaii was shot is not accessable, but we did get in on foot, amazing what kindness and 10 bucks will do for you. If after all you research you are unsure hey no big deal your in hawaii, splurge a little. nick