Kauai Luau and mosquito question

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best luau on Kauai? I hear many good things about Smith's, but have also heard there is an overabundance of Mosquito's on the Smith property. I would appreciate any replies... I will be there from 6/26 to 7/3.
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:09 PM

Don't know about Smith's but last August we were at the Hyatt's Luau and there were no Mosquito's. They hold it out on the lawn next to the ocean.
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply. Did you enjoy the Hyatt Luau?
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:27 AM

I guess I'm not a luau person. I thought the luau at the Hyatt was a total waste of money. The food was mediocre at best, the entertainment was fair and you are surrounded by vendors trying to sell their hawaiian trinkets. It was not an enjoyable experience. I enjoyed watching the free show at the Poipu shopping center better.
I've never been to Smith's so I can't compare.

-Bill
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:44 AM

We were at the Smith's Luau last June and I don't recall seeing, or hearing, a single mosquito. The luau was a little hokey, and the food was average, but we had a good time. It might be wise to apply repellent before you go just in case. You don't want mosquito bites to distract from your new tropical tan.

If you decide to attend the Smith luau make sure you go early so you have time to tour the grounds...many beautiful birds and plants. They had about 200 male peacocks (one albino) on the property and when we were their in June it was mating season and the peacocks were all "strutting their stuff" so to speak. It was a nice way to spend a couple of hours.
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:05 AM

Unlike Bill, we did not eat at the Hyatt's Luau. It was held right next to our room, a couple floors down, on the lawn. We sat on our balcony and watched the whole show, and ordered room service of Coconut Shrimp, etc. and drank the free bottle of Champagne the hotel had sent on our arrival for our Anniversary week.

I noticed a few tables set up with some Hawaiian crafts, but the vendors just stood behind them. I think the show involved everyone from couples, honeymooners, to families with kids. All got a chance to go on the stage if they wanted. The singers had beautiful voices. Go early to walk the grounds of the Hyatt.

I don't know the price of the Luau, but another idea is to go to Tidepool's Restaurant on the property, and have dinner on the night of the luau, and request a table next to the lagoon or waterfall. You can hear the entertainment in the background and get an excellent dinner. We experienced it that way a couple visits ago.
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice!
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:33 PM

We went to Smith's last year on our honeymoon. It was ok... As was said already thoe show was a bit hokey. Food was ok, servers were wonderful, and the grounds were beautiful. Definitely go early to walk the gardens beforehand if you go to Smith's - that was the best part for us.