Kauai Itinerary Help

Search

Kauai Itinerary Help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai Itinerary Help

My wife and I, late 50's, active and good physical condition, need some itinerary advice for Kauai. We fly into Honolulu on July 23 and have 10 days in Hawaii. We were thinking of spending all 10 on Kauai, but should we consider a few days on Oahu? We are beach people, love sunsets, and nature. My idea was to start our visit in the North part of Kauai and end in the South, or should we base out of one area only or reverse this itinerary. Is the north dry in summer? Based on other posts It sounds like I need to rent a car for the entire time, is this correct and is a convertible a good idea? Also looking for a condo/studio where we can make breakfast, but walk to dinner. There seems to be lots of options on VRBO, but do I need to book my accomodation in advance, or just wing it when we arrive.We plan on a Na Pali coast cruise, going to Waimea canyon, and Allerton and McBryde Gardens, any other suggestions? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 01:08 AM

Oahu has alot to offer IMO. Driving out of Honolulu eastwards along the coast is really beautiful, towards Kailua. The north coast is also really beautiful. I also like Waikiki, yes its touristy but it is interesting to see esp with Diamond Head in the distance. Snorkelling in Hanauma Bay is a great experience, if you scuba dive, the Corsair dive site near Honolulu is the best dive experience ever!
We always rent a car in Hawaii, makes life alot easier, not keen on convertibles as I don't like getting sunburnt.

Definitely book a condo in Kauai in advance, I would not wing it. Alot of Kauai is dry and rather busy traffic wise, the small area on the north coast is the most picturesque and how you imagine Kauai to be eg around Hanalei.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 04:14 AM

I would spend time in Waikiki before heading to Kauai. As Odin says, Oahu has a lot to offer!
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 05:19 AM

We spent all of February 2012 in Kauai. Stayed in condo in Poipu the whole time http://www.kiahunarentals.com/. It was the best location for weather, getting to the canyon, snorkeling and beaching for that time of year. The north coast is gorgeous also and may be perfect in July. You can drive from Poipu to Princeville in about an hour and a half, Poipu to Waimea Canyon in 40 minutes or so. There are great beaches everywhere, kayaking, hiking, etc. It was heaven on earth!
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 07:50 AM

July is a peak season in Hawaii because of summer school breaks.

Probably 99% of visitors arrive with pre-booked accomodation.

If you don't pre-book you are going to waste valuable time and not be able to evaluate much, as many condos are offered by owner on-line and won't be available for showing.

Convertibles are only fun for about the first 15 minutes.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 11:24 AM

North Shore would have the best swimming that time of year. I'd stay North, boat tours of the Na Pali will be going out of Hanalei probably starting late April or early May. I'd look into a condo in Princeville, Hanalei Bay Resort is very nice. You can either book with VRBO or with a management company like Parrish or Suites Kauai. With VRBO you know the unit you are getting, can be a plus or a minus if there are problems. With a management company you get a class of unit like oceanfront, oceanview, garden view, etc. so if there are problems, it is easier to move to another unit (unless over XMAS or Easter when most places are 100% full). Your choice.

Yes you need a car, Kauai probably has the worst public transportation of any of the islands, the bus does not go to Waimea Canyon, nor does it go past Hanalei, meaning you cannot get to Ke'e and Tunnels beaches or the trailhead for the first 2 miles of Kalalau trail. I do not like convertibles, we got upgraded to one on Maui for free once, it rained overnight, the darn roof leaked and my passenger side was soaked. And forget jeeps, rented them twice, not safe to leave anything as they are so open (no trunk, limited luggage space, etc.).

Also might want to check out Limahuli Gardens right there on the North Shore near Haena Beach. You can do a self guided tour there for about $15 and have beautiful views. This garden is all about plants native to Hawaii, so if looking for flowers, this one may not be for you.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 11:44 AM

I think you can stay in one place on Kauai and drive to wherever you want. Like Snorkelsue, we stayed in Poipu and thought that was a nice, central location
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 01:12 PM

We stayed in Hanalei Bay Resort, rented from VRBO. Stunning scenery from the lanai. But you need a car to get to restaurants.

Recommend a helicopter tour of the island; we used Jack Harter. It is something I will never forget.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 05:38 AM

Since you'll already be on Oahu, I'd spend 2 or 3 days there, then head to Kauai.

Poipu is definitely not a "central" location in Kauai. I'm in love with the North Shore. You can read my many trip reports. If you decide to split your time, stay in Poipu first--because it's not going to look too good after the North Shore! ;-)

If you want a "central" location choose the East Coast. It's mid-way between the North Shore and Poipu. It's "nice"--but not nearly as lush and beautiful as the North. It's main attraction is the location, and easy access to restaurants in Kapa'a.

I'd stay on the North Shore and count on driving one full day to Waimea Canyon/Kok'ee Park. (Hike the Canyon Trail.) Drive south one additional day to see Wailua Falls, Opaeak'a Falls, the coffee plantation, Mah'aluepa Beach, Spouting Horn, and Poipu Beach. Be sure to do a boat tour of the Napali Cliffs.

You will definitely need a car in Kauai. In the summer, the weather and swimming will likely be good on the North Shore--and the South Shore, too. There is more rain in the North, but it typically comes at night, or in very short showers. I've rarely had a rainy day in the summer--more like a twenty minute shower followed by rainbows. There's more than enough beauty, beaches, and hiking trails in the North to keep you happy and wishing for more.

Whatever you decide, you'll have a great trip because Kauai really is paradise.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 07:37 AM

The north shore of Kauai is definitely the more lush and beautiful side of the island (maybe of all the islands). That said, we always stay in Poipu Beach because we like to be on (rather than above) the beach, meaning we don't like to stay on top of a cliff, which is where many of the north-shore hotels and condos are located. If you don't mind or actually like the concept of being on a cliff overlooking the ocean, then the north shore would be your best bet.

Having stayed there many times, I would agree that Poipu is not really "central". But I also wouldn't recommend the East Coast personally. I just don't think it's as nice/attractive as either Poipu or the Hanalei area (but it does have great breakfast places!).
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 07:04 AM

If you decide to spend a few days on Oahu, the hike up Diamond Head is a great hike and the views are stunning. DH and I when we stay in Honolulu, always walk thru Kapiolani Park toward Kohala. Nice hills to walk and again great ocean views and I might add lovely homes. Summer is busy so hopefully you will have already found your place to stay. BUT for staying only a few days on Oahu, you should be able to find something. KAUAI on the other hand - book now.....
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 08:50 AM

different strokes for different folks. we always get a convertible while on Kauai even while staying on the rainy northshore. Although I wouldn't recommend it for a family, as being windblown in the back seat would get old fast!

We stopped counting after our first dozen trips to the islands (which was quite a few trips ago) and still have not been to Oahu, outside the airport. One of these days we'll get there, as I am now prepared with enough historical reading to really enjoy various sites.