where to stay in Kaua'i for about a month

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we (my husband and I) are planning on going to Hawaii this summer and visiting three islands: Kaua'i, the big Island, and Oahu (not sure which order yet). We want to learn how to surf, relax and go for walks, hang out on the beach, explore culture and whatever the islands have to offer (not so big on nightlife or anything too touristy).

I'm just not sure where to stay on Kaua'i. If we want to surf, I have been told it is better to stay in the south.

Anyone have any advice?

Thank you!
Old May 10th, 2011, 04:23 AM

alternative-hawaii.com vrbo.com good options

Princeville area is prettiest

South is cheapest more touristy uglier

surf not to good.

North Shore Oahu best for that
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:45 AM

>>

My daughter learned to surf on the South Shore of Kauai. There were plenty of "real" surfers out there, too, although I can't comment on the quality of the surf.
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:03 AM

If I was staying a month in Kauai, I'd stay two weeks in Hanalei, and a week near Kaapa, and a week closer to Kekaha.

However, if you want to learn to surf, you might have to stay in the Poipu region. Too bad, all that time and you don't get to wile away the hours in Hanalei.
Old May 10th, 2011, 12:15 PM

I think the best place to "learn" to surf (not to surf but to learn) is the east end of Waikiki Beach. So you might want to start your trip on Oahu. Spend a day on a long board and learn how to get up and ride first. The North Shore of Oahu is not for beginners and in the summer can be fairly flat anyway. On Kauai, either stay in Poipu or Princeville. Princeville is wetter and more lush; Poipu drier. Poipu Beach is decent surfing in the summer and you can rent a board right across the street at Nukumoi Surf Co. Plenty of condo rentals also. Poipu puts you in the middle of the island - equidistant for day trips east to Hanalei or west to Barking Sands beach or Waimea Canyon