Search

Kauai Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai Honeymoon

Help us plan the best honeymoon! We are going to Kauai May 1-8, 2011 and we would love some advice on things to do and see, places to eat, shopping etc. We love those hidden gems, off-the-beaten-path places, and the local eateries and markets. Thanks for you help!
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:48 PM

we have been to kauai many times and really enjoy the princeville resort and bali hai nearby. princeville more pricey and better placed. beautiful resort w everything you want or need. lovely spots to eat on the lanai enjoying the kauai beauty.

bali hai has some timeshares, you may be able to find one. they have jazz on sunday afternoon and our favorite view for dinner in their restaurant, you just about always will get to see a rainbow. their pools are lovely, different from the large but basic pool at princeville resort. also in the same princeville area are condos you can find to rent. we have stayed in a couple of these but missed the ability to easily get to the beach. hanalei is just up the road from princeville and it has fun bars, restaurants and also more rain but is also more funky than the resortish area of princeville.

our most fav as ive said before here is anahola bay where you are on your "own" private beautiful beach and away from the tourists. haven't ever really gotten into poipu area, go there for a meal sometimes or the hyatt is nice there, fun spa.

find a place with access to a beach. definately rent a car for kauai.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:53 PM

Do you know the area you'll be staying in? If you're staying in Poipu you'll need very different recommendations than if you'll be on the North shore.

And BTW, the Princeville resort is now the St. Regis Princeville Resort.

Kauai is pure magic. I can't imagine a better place to honeymoon.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:42 PM

Since you have a year to plan, you have time to read The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook by Doughty. It will answer every possible question you have about how to make your Kauai trip the best it can possibly be.
Old May 6th, 2010, 04:28 AM

A note about the Bali Hai Restaurant and Bar mentioned above. It's currently closed; no date given for reopening yet. It's part of the Hanalei Bay Resort, which has undergone a recent management change (for the better, IMO).

But if you are at the Hanalei Bay Resort and just want a quick bite, friendly John and Lorraine do a simple but great BBQ by the pool that is very reasonable (chicken, burgers, salmon burgers, rib sandwiches, etc). We come to Kauai twice a year and always stay at HBR. (People staying at the St. Regis nearby also come over for the BBQ to save money).

Do let us know if you have an area in mind to stay. Poipu is more touristy and busy, bigger resorts, more shopping and restuarant choices, while the North Shore is quieter (and I think more romantic), greener, with dramatic scenery, but still plenty of shopping and places to eat.

We honeymooned on the North Shore 20 years ago this August, and we've been going back ever since. Just so you know, the two areas are about an hour and a half away from each other.
Old May 6th, 2010, 02:08 PM

My husband & I went to Kauai May 5-12, 2007. We stayed 4 nights in Princeville, which is the North Shore, at the Sealodge Condos. We stayed in the D7 unit. The Sealodge is situated on a bluff so you are looking out at the ocean. It was absolutely beautiful and we loved the North Shore! We felt "secluded" on the North Shore, in a good way, as opposed to the "busier" South Shore.

Here are a few websites for the Sealodge:
http://www.summitpacificinc.com/sealodge.html
http://www.hestara.com/index.html
http://www.kauai-vacations-ahh.com/k...odge-kauai.htm

After staying on the North Shore, we then moved to the South Shore for 3 nights. We stayed in Poipu at the Kuhio Shores in unit 213. Not ON the beach but right on the ocean!
Here is the website: http://www.kuhio-shores.com/
http://www.kuhio-shores.com/KS213.html

Also here is a link to a map of Kauai so you can get an idea of the North/South Shore and other areas of interest.
http://www.summitpacificinc.com/kauai_map.html

Another tip: If you haven't already, I recommend buying this books: http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Kauai...d_bxgy_b_img_b
The Ultimate Kauai book is an absolute must! It has everything you could possibly want to know about the island. One of my favorite insider information in the book was the directions on how to get to Secret Beach. This beach is unbelievably beautiful and can be seen from the Kilauea Lighthouse. It is a 15 minute hike to get to the beach and my husband & I wouldn't have known about if it weren't for this book! That is just one tip and there is so much information in these books!

I absolutely love Kauai and my husband & I are going back this September! We are already counting the days! Check out this condo: http://www.hestara.com/c8.htm
This is where we are staying this September. This Sealodge condo is very popular and books up really quickly!

I check this board very frequently so if you have any other questions just reply back on this post and I will get back to you. I love helping people with information about Kauai!
Old May 6th, 2010, 02:10 PM

I would recommend staying in the Princeville or Hanalei area.
Old May 6th, 2010, 02:14 PM

SonomaPinot: We stayed at Hanalei Bay Resort one year ago and indeed Bali Hai and the restaurant were closed. However, a contact we made while there ( a realtor) sends us email updates which I believe says that the bar and restaurant are now reopened.

The view from our rented condo in Hanalei Bay (thru VRBO) was AMAZING.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:29 PM

Kauai - love it but not much shopping there. Hanalei has a couple of intersting shops - one of which has fun Hawaiian Antiques but can't remember the name of it - someone help me! Kauai is a perfect place to honeymoon. Depending on which part of the island you are staying in will determine the restaurants as it is quite a drive from Princeville to Poipu area after dinner and drinks. Poipu area - Keoki's, Roy's, Red Salt, Gaylords are all nice. Beach house has wonderful sunset views but food is not very good anymore. Drinks and sunset are your best bet there. have a wonderful year planning everything.....
Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:38 PM

sorry forgot things to do.......helicopter ride - incredible; drive up to the Canyon and walking the rim - awesome, hiking Na Pali is breath taking, Tubing is very fun; the beaches are wonderful, snorkeling and body surfing; botanical gardens and a wonderful Museum in Lihue which tells the story of the island - very well done. Haven't done it yet but probably next year when we go back is biking down hill. They cart you up and you coast down hill.

Places to stay - Poipu area - Grand Hyatt is one of the most beautiful Hawaiian resorts without feeling overwhelming; a fairly new hotel is the Ko'a Kea - a small boutique hotel; lots of Condo's - Poipu Shores sits right on the lava rocks as does Whalers Cove. Kiahuna Plantation is lovely with beautiful grounds and is a few feet from the ocean.