Kauai Restaurants Near Princeville

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a honeymoon to Kauai and am leaning towards the Princeville. Is the area secluded or it is within walking distance to restaurants that are not on property? Would I need to rent a car if staying at Princeville?
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:05 PM
DB

Which property?

There are a few restaurants in Princeville, most notably the Priceville Hotel, but that can still mean a 2 mile walk.

I would say you need to car to see anything worthwhile.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 03:35 AM

Have to second the recommendation for a car, if you are honeymooning at Princeville during a period other than summer, a car can come in handy for not to be missed sightseeing and to escape rain by driving south or west on Kauai. There is a small shopping area with a grocery & ice cream store, bank, realtor, etc. as you enter the Princeville Resort area but it is too long a walk to carry things from back to the Hotel, though some condo's in Pville resort area may be closer to the limited shopping. We honeymooned next to the Pville Hotel in Feb.2002 at the Hanalei Bay Resort, it has the "Bali Hai Restaurant" which is decent but pricey in terms of food but the best feature is its bay and mountain views for a sunset dinner for example (we got ~50% discount for Bali Hai Rest. by attending their [HBR]timeshare presentation). Some recommend the "Happy Talk Lounge" at HBR.
I would not consider the Pville area secluded, except for the lack of nearby shopping. However if you drive 15-30 minutes from Pville you can find more seclusion. You will love Princeville, Kauai!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 06:12 AM

Unless you plan on staying at your resort and never leaving, which on Kauai would, IMHO, be a big mistake, I think you definately need to rent a car. There are simply to many things to see around the island to ignore because of lack of transportation.

In terms of restaurants in Princeville, the hotel has several. As the previous poster mentioned, there is shopping center almost at the entrance to the PV complex. There are a few restaurants there.

We found the Bali Hai restaurant to be less than marginal. They were out of rice, which for an Asian restaurant is unbelieveable, and instead offered to substitute mashed potato, which turned out to be instant. Perhaps at a 50% discount it's worth it. At full price, no.

There are several restaurants in Kapa'a, including A Pacific Cafe, which were good. Kapa'a is about 20 to 30 minutes from PV. For a quick and easy burger, we liked Bubba's, which has a couple of spots around Kauai.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 06:43 AM

ditto on the car thing!

Near Princeville is the town of Hanalei - good eats at Zelos and Tropical Taco.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 07:24 AM
Kal

Alooohaaaa,
A stay on Kauai w/o a rental car is like a fish 'with' a bicycle seat!
Anybody know if Chuck's Steak House in the P'ville Shopping Ctr reopened?

3 's for the Happy Talk Lounge for the Sunday's jam session.
Kal
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 05:41 AM

Yep, all the postersd are giving you great aqdvice. A CAR IS A MUST on Kauai.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 10:51 AM

Hi Meljoy,

You definitely need a car or you'll miss out on a lot on the island. We are going to Kaua'i in December, and I got a decent price on a car through priceline. As you are there for your honeymoon, I would highly suggest going to the Princeville Hotel for brunch or dinner. We were married on Kaua'i and had our wedding dinner there - it was gorgeous. It is expensive, but the views more than make up for it.

Congrats and have a great time!