Search

Kauai - Help needed on First time visit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai - Help needed on First time visit

Me and my husband are visiting Hawaii first time on July 2011 and will be
staying for 2 nights(July 1st & 2nd) at Kapaa.Any help in suggesting places to see
around - Beautiful Beaches , hiking(Not a long one thou). Please advise !

Thanks
Sri
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 01:59 PM

Kapaa is not a very convenient place to stay. You will have to drive up to an hour to the best beaches, either north or south. Especially if you only have two nights on Kauai
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 02:48 PM

For only two nights, I would recommend taking the spectacular helicopter tour of the island. Also, driving north to see all the scenic beauty on the north side of the island. Next day, drive south to see Waimea Canyon. Beautiful beaches and nice hikes will be everywhere you go on these drives.
Have fun!
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 11:21 AM

Not much time to truly experience Kauai but you do what you can in a limited time. North Shore beaches, Hanalei is funky and fun and good beaches, Hiking would be NaPali. You could spend hours hiking there or for as long as you desire - start at Ke'e Beach Views are spectacular from NaPali....Around Kapaa Kealia Beach is nice. Renting bikes on that side of the island and taking in the beauty that way is good as the bike lane runs along the beach....Enjoy your brief time there.....
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
@Bob - We have book Heli tour.Thanks for the input.
@Shar - Planning for hiking in Kalalau Trail for 2 miles as we are not experienced hikers.I was actually looking for doing some biking.Thanks much for the info.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 03:52 PM

There is also a "Downhill" bike ride from Waimea canyon but looks a bit too fast for me. Also I might suggest "Tubing" lots of fun as you float down the old canals on large inner tube going through man made "caves" But it looks like you are already there! Hope you are having a ball.....Aloha
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 09:49 AM

we are not experienced hikers

I realize it's probably too late for the OP, but I do NOT recommend the 2 miles of the Kalalau trail for anyone who is not a SERIOUS hiker. It is VERY strenuous and can be treacherous. There are so many other easier hikes with gorgeous views. I'm in paradise (aka Kauai) right now and have done some spectacular, moderate hikes on this trip. I will post a trip report focusing on those hikes when my trip ends.
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 12:36 PM

SongDoc trip report = Must read posting.
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 07:00 PM

MY husband and I ARE NOT serious hikers and we have done some hiking on NaPali. It was messy, slippery and we got dirty but that's all. We got to a point and knew that we were through so we hiked back. I would never hike to the beach like some do but even nOT serious hikers and do parts of it.
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 10:27 PM

The 2 miles the OP mentioned would bring you to the beach--and I stand by my feeling that that's not a good idea for inexperienced hikers.

I've spent more than 6 months in Kauai over the past few years and I'm probably having the best trip ever. But I've still got 2-1/2 more weeks -- so it's too early for the trip report. But here's one little preview tidbit ...

I have a new favorite beach: Lumahai. OMG, it was incredible today. I've never seen water such a vivid shade of turquoise in Hawaii. Pure bliss--and sensory overload.

PS. Thanks mcheryl
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 09:45 AM

Regarding Lumahai: Next time bring your shampoo and wash that man of yours who doesn't like Kauai out of our hair. It didn't work for Mitzi Gaynor, but who knows?
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:04 AM

our should be YOUR.
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 07:47 PM

hehehe. I wonder how many people have actually brought a bottle of shampoo to that beach and taken a photo???

Tomorrow, my sister will arrive. At least she can properly recognize and appreciate paradise ;-)