Notices

Kauai Base camp

Old Jan 18th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai Base camp

I am trying to find out which area to set up a base and need some sort of direction. I am planning on making it up to the Hanakapi'ai Falls this trip....On the last one, twisted my knee on the the Awa'awapuhi Trail which I plan on hiking again (probably AFTER the Hanakapi'ai Falls hike). I will be like a pendulum back and forth between the North Shore and the West Side Kokee State Park - Kalalau Lookout and the Awa'awapuhi Trail.

Okay.....bottom line. Where should I set up base camp?

Thanks for any tips.

Oh yeah....I will be there for 7 days.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 12:29 PM

When is your trip? Kauai is a small island so easy to drive from south to north or vice versa. I personally would avoid the East Shore due to lack of swimmable beaches with 3 exceptions plus the traffic is terrible there.
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply. I will be heading over there around the second week of June.
Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 07:42 AM
Kal

Just got back from a 15 day stay in that hellhole of an island.
We've been staying in the Wailua/Kapaa area ever since our yearly trips started in '89.

Central to everything especially inexpensive restaurants, grocery stores and airport.

About 30-45 mins to Hanalei/Haena depending on traffic, ditto Poipu and maybe 45-60 mins to Kokee/Kalalau/Polihale.

I hiked the Sleeping Giant for the first time in over 5yrs (pesky little health problem finally resolved) and I forgot how awesome the 360 degree view was once you've made it to his noggin. Jacked up my knee on the way down. Needed a therapy combo of The OC's Bloody Mary and KBC's Big Wave Lager to start recovery.
Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 12:02 PM

June would be beautiful all over the island. My personal preference would be the North Shore, most beaches should be swimmable then up there, maybe take a boat tour of the Na Pali coast if budget and time permits.
You would have to drive to the west shore for Waimea Canyon and the Awa-awapuhi trail, but you would have to drive north if you stayed in Poipu to hike the first two miles to the falls. So it is really a matter of personal preference.
Hi Kal, nice to "see" you, my hiking days are over these days due to mobility issues, sounds like a great trip.
Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 03:37 PM
Kal

Alohaaaaaaaaaaa jamie.....I was a bit leery due to an already arthritic knee which I jammed up when it gave way coming down The Sleeping Giant's backside this trip.
I hope to be ready for another shot at the Hanalei Canoe Club's "8 Mile Haena to Hanalei" event the first Sat in June.
While it's all Kuhio Hwy, those 3-4 hills are not your friends!

Something the OP might be interested in? Along with Taste of Hawaii the first Sunday at Smith's in Wailua.

And yes...June is a beautiful month on Kauai.
Old Jan 24th, 2016, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all who responded. June seems so far away at this point. Kai....I would love to make the Sleeping Giant hike, thank you for the tip. I have decided to stay in Poipu - just making it easier for those who I am traveling with. (My first time traveling with others). Perhaps on my next trip, I will stay in the Wailua/Kapaa area. My concern was the noise from the airport.

I will be arriving after the Taste of Hawaii event so I will not be able to make it on THIS trip. I am trying to make these hikes while I am still in my middle 50s. Who knows what ailments the years may bring?

Now, I have to plan the excursions and the next trip back to Kauai.

Mahalo!