Big Island or Kauai?

Old Sep 11th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Island or Kauai?

I need some help trying to decide between islands for a trip in March 2008. I've narrowed it down to the BI or Kauai, as we only have enough time and money to do one island. (I've looked at a ton of posts here and am still looking for some more input.)

My husband and I went to Oahu last Spring - thought it was okay, but it was way too crowded and busy for our tastes. Looking back, the highlight of that trip was finding a nearly deserted beach and sitting there all of one afternoon. There will be just the two of us - we enjoy hiking and sitting on the beach, but nightlife is really not our thing. Due to budget constraints, we'd rather cook our own food than eat out and find adventures we can do on our own rather than scheduling expensive tours.

If we were to stay on the Big Island, we'd end up staying at Kilauea Military Camp (in Volcano National Park) the entire time (6 days) (no matter how much I try to persuade, my husband does not want to move hotels during the trip). On the other hand, if we went to Kauai, I think we're thinking that we'd stay in a small condo on the north side near Princeville for the week.

With these constraints, what do you think we'd enjoy more? Is spending a week at Volcano National Park too much? Would we be too bored? We'd probably rent a car there, but we'd be coming back to VNP each night to stay so couldn't drive too far away. Would Kauai be enjoyable for a week? Is there enough hiking/snorkeling to keep us busy? Is it hard to snorkel there with the coral? We found it hard to snorkel in Oahu because of the coral.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 04:53 AM

Having just recently returned from 5 days on each island (see trip report), I would recommend Kauai given your constraints. While we loved VNP, I would not have wanted to spend our entire time on the BI there. There is so much else to see on the BI (Kona, Kohala Coast, Waipio, etc.), and you would spend a great deal of time in the car. Whereas, staying in Princeville on Kauai, there is plenty to keep you occupied for 6 days (snorkeling, lots fo beaches, hiking, etc.) with minimal driving. I think you would still want to rent a car on Kauai and then you could also drive down to the south shore and Waimea Canyon.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 04:56 AM

Based on all your input, I would definitely recommend Kauai. For us, it had the most natural beauty. The north shore beaches are gorgeous - Ke'e, Tunnels - watch out for currents. We also liked Poipu on the south shore. Personally, more than a day or two at VNP would be too long for me - if you're going to Hawaii, you should definitely spend time at the beautiful beaches. If you can, go see the Na Pali coast on Kauai - we did both helicopter tour and sunset sail; honestly, we've traveled extensively, and this is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 05:00 AM

We love both islands, but I wouldn't want to stay at the military camp on the Big Island for the whole stay. It is very secluded, and you would be far away from beaches.

The volcano area is wonderful, but for what you describe, I think Kauai would be the right island for you. You can do lots and lots of hiking and snorkeling on Kauai, and it is SO beautiful there. Have a great time planning your trip.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 05:07 AM

Of course, there are things to do in VNP--crater rim drive, drive down Chain of Craters Road (if allowed, hike across Kilauea Iki crater http://tinyurl.com/26skw6(takes about 1 1/2 - 2 hours) Things to do within a 2 hour drive of Volcano National Park: heading north west--Hilo-go to the Farmer's Market on Wed or Sat; Akaka Falls, Hawaiian Tropical Botanic Gardens on Onomea Bay http://www.htbg.com/, Waipio Valley. You could take day trips to Hapuna Beach on the Kohala coast or to Hawi in north Kohala. You could travel into Puna (less than an hour drive) to the tide pools at Kapoho http://tinyurl.com/2k64bj. There is also a warm spring pool in Puna--Ahanalui--comes complete with lifeguard. So yes there is plenty to do within reasonable distance from Volcano. However, the Volcano area itself tends to be cooler and rainier than the rest of the island, so if you're going in March to escape the last of the mainland winter, you might prefer Kauai.

Old Sep 11th, 2007, 08:38 AM

daph24ne:

If you qualify for the KMC in Volcano, you probably would also qualify for the great oceanfront cottages at PMRF here on Kaua`i. They're on the far west side of our island, but have gotten rave reviews from folks who've stayed in them:
http://tinyurl.com/37rd93
http://www.greatlifehawaii.com/docs/PMRF_FAQs.pdf
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for your great insights. As a result of your input, we have decided to go to Kauai, and we can't wait! We're very excited. Auntie, thanks for pointing out the Barking Sands Navy cottages. Unfortunately, I'm Air Force so it's hard for me to get a reservation there (priority there is for active duty Navy and Marine personnel). Thanks again!!
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 04:53 AM

Is there a reason you'd only stay at Kilauea military camp? I understand not wanting to switch hotels during a 6-day trip, but perhaps you could choose a hotel in the Kona area instead, and drive to the volcano for a day. There's much more to do on the Kona side, IMO.