Big Island or Kauai/ 2 weeks

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Island or Kauai/ 2 weeks

My husband and I are thinking of heading to Hawaii the end of Feb. and are torn between the 2 islands. We have been to Oahu and Maui. We don't want to split time between 2 islands so basically wondering if 2 weeks on one island is too long. We are very active people and like the beach but can not lay around one all day. Can anyone give me the pro's and con's of 2 weeks on one island. Which is your favorite?

Thank you for any suggestions.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 04:19 PM

1. Big Island- It is big. You can stay on both sides easily. Lots to do. Good hiking in the Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park, Waipio Valley. Lots of diving opportunities. I've spent two weeks on Hawaii and didn't feel it was too long.

2. Kauai- beautiful, although the north shore is not best in February because the surf is too rough for swimming and snorkeling. Lots of hiking. I'd be a big slug with 2 weeks on Kauai. A big fat sunburned happy slug.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for replying. If we split our time on each side what areas are the best to stay?
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Two weeks on Kauai is not nearly enough.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 04:36 PM

This is a no brainer...Kauai. Kauai is my favorite island and the Big island is my least.

I was really disappointed w/ the big island. It had VERY few beaches and Volcanoes Natl. Park was...well... not like you see on the Discovery channel. You can't go anywhere near the lava without a helicopter. Kona was a nice town; a lot like Lahaina.

Kauai has sooo much more to do and the best beaches of the islands. I recommend the Kauai Marriott great location; less than 30 min from north and south shores, plus Kalapaki is a great beach. FYI the north shore beaches will be closed in February, but still good beaches on east and south shores.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 04:57 PM

I like both Kauai and the Big Island. (They're my two favorite of the Hawaiian islands; we've been to Oahu, Maui, Kauai and the Big Island, 4 different trips with different combinations of islands.)

If I had two weeks on one island, I think I would choose the Big Island. My husband and I spent 10 nights on the Big Island for our 25th anniversary, and we could have easily stayed longer.

We stayed 3 nights in a B&B near Kona, 2 nights on Volcano side, and then 5 nights on Kohala Coast.

If I had 2 weeks, I would spend 4 nights near Kona, then 3 nights on east coast, then 7 nights on Kohala Coast.

I could also spend 2 weeks on Kauai, but we enjoyed hiking, beautiful scenery and relaxing. If you don't like those things, I don't think you'd enjoy Kauai for 2 weeks. If I stayed there 2 weeks, depending on the time of year, I'd probably spend one week on the north shore and one week near Poipu.

The pros of spending 2 weeks on either island would be that you get to know that island. The Big Island is much bigger than Kauai, so there is more to explore. Kauai is more "beautiful" and what you think of when you think of Hawaii, but I also think the Big Island is beautiful in a different way.

On the Big Island, there is really good snorkeling. You could go to the Place of Refuge, drive to the southern point (if your rental car agreement allows this), visit Volcano National Park, visit the ranches on the north side of the island, and lots more.

For either island, I'd get the "Revealed" books, even though a lot of people don't really like them. They give a good overview of the islands, and the books are interesting to read. Be careful on either island about some of the "adventures," because some of them are dangerous.

My husband and I have traveled to many different places around the world, and our 10-night trip to the Big Island is one of favorite all-time trips.

My trip report to the Big Island (from October-November 2006) is on this board somewhere. Let me know if you can't find it, and I'll try to find it and top it for you if you want.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 06:46 PM

I've been to both islands, and whichever one you choose will be a wonderful vacation.
I personally love Kauai because I love the beach and I think the beaches are better - the north shore has spectacular beaches and snorkeling. The south shore is equally lovely. The are lots of hiking and mountains to explore.
The Big Island didnt have as much for me, but many people love the volcanos, and horse back riding, etc.

When you're in the islands (any of the islands) you're in paradise
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 04:03 AM

Big Island - we have been for two week trips 3 times and still haven't done all we would like to do. We like to spend the first 3-4 days in Volcano Village or east side and then 10 days on the Kohala coast.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 04:34 AM

Maui! Better snorkelling, swimming, night life, golfing. Great snorkelling right off the beaches!
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 08:15 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
With that much time? The Big Island.
I'd still split the time between the two though.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 10:55 AM

With that much time, I'd split between the two ... I love both, but might get bored with that much time on either. (Now, Oahu ... two weeks is not enough! )
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone that has replied. We have decided to go for the full 2 weeks on the Big Island. Any suggestions on the Kohala coast for accomodations. We have a budget of about $100 a night. I know it will be hard to find something but you never know!