Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Location for Eloping... maybe Hawaii? Winter, so probably south...

Jan 8th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Hello I am looking for your advice out there for a good location to elope in February, yes next month! We figured with the good travel deals right now, and since it is only the two of us we might find a good deal. I think we want to go somewhere warm, but probaly only have 5 days (traveling from NY). Any ideas? Love the idea of Hawaii, but have never been so would not know where to start. Or maybe the Keys?
Jan 8th, 2009, 02:39 PM

It's an awfully long trip from NY to Hawaii for only 5 days. Even non-stop, it's 11 hours of flying. If it were me, I'd go someplace warm but closer.
Jan 8th, 2009, 07:18 PM

If it was me, I would probably go to Las Vegas. Quick, simple, warmer than NY, lots to do and fun. Best of luck!
Jan 8th, 2009, 08:11 PM

What about Cancun? There is a gorgeous resort called Riu Las Americanas that is so beautiful! Check out there website! It's a quick flight!

Good Luck and Best Wishes!
Jan 8th, 2009, 08:47 PM

First congratulations, second, please look at whether the jurisdiction your considering requires a blood test, birth certificates etc in order to issues a marriage license, so you have all your papers in order and also so you know when the offices are open to issue licenses (see for example Hawaii at http://hawaii.gov/health/vital-recor...age/index.html, for Florida, it is the county which issues licenses, for Monroe County/Key West, see http://www.clerk-of-the-court.com/Ot...rriageLic.html). I might ponder whether the Keys would be “warm” in February, but check weather websites, as “warm” can be relative if you just want it not to be freezing like NYC. I would tend to agree that Hawaii is quite a long flight for only 5 days, but look at schedules and see what you think. Keys would be better in terms of an easy flight, and Caribbean/Mexico or Central America would certainly be warmer (look at Belize or Costa Rica for a start), but then you may have an issue with getting hotels as you may be competing with winter vacations from schools. Do you have any idea of budget for hotels? Also look at like vrbo.com to consider renting a condo or villa.

Personally, I think a February wedding where you could be indoors with a fireplace and have snow and mountains outside would be very lovely too.

You might also just want to get married in NY and then go on a honeymoon in Hawaii or elsewhere to save some of the time and effort of arranging for the license and wedding in a remote location on short notice. See http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/married.htm

Jan 9th, 2009, 04:39 AM

I'd get married in the keys in a heartbeat!