Big Island or Kauai in December

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a group of 14- 6 adults and 8 kids (ages range from 13 to 5) and will be visiting Hawaii in December (21st-28th). Besides a short stay over at HNL, we plan to visit one more island but can not decide between Big Island (Kona) and Kauai.

Is Big Island a better bet for us considering the volcano, petroglyphs and astronomical observatories? Are the beaches in the Big Island comparable to other islands?

Finally, any recommendations on a place(s) to stay for our group either in Kauai or Big Island is also appreciated.

Kind regards.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 01:42 PM

I love Kauai and stay there almost every year, but it is the northernmost of the Hawaiian islands so you could get weather. If you do stay there, stay south at Poipu and rent a couple of condos. Kauai is also a smaller island so it would take less time to see.

Been a long time since I have been to BI, but it involves a LOT of driving. The weather should be drier especially in Kona area. The beaches are not as good but the snorkeling is.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 02:28 PM

Just like to peruse these boards to see what folks say, as I'm a Travel Agent. So I'll give you my 2 cents-I'd probably go for Kona because you will have most likely have rain in Kauai. Look for good deals at the Hilton. They are both great. Oahu also has a lot to offer, the PCC, Pearl Harbor and some nice beaches. Have a great time!
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 02:40 PM

Hopefully more people will respond, because from everything I've heard, the beaches are definitely not as good on Hawaii as on Kauai!
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 02:58 PM

The Big Island has good beaches, too, but they are mostly north of Kona. I will post specific names if you decide on the Big Island. I remember Hapuna being a very good one, and another more secluded beach that most people don't go to. Good snorkeling at both.

Based on its southernmost position, Hawaii could be a much better bet for dry weather. If it is raining on Kauai, it doesn't matter how many beaches it has.

We were on Kauai once in early January and it rained every day of that week. The next week we moved to the Big Island where the weather was dry. We were so relieved.

Your group might enjoy the condos at Sea Village, just below Kona. We have stayed there a few times and always recommend it. The oceanview condos have gorgeous vistas, and the condos are nicely kept. It's a smaller complex, three-story buildings. Free tennis court, small pool, barbecue pits in the garden, welcome hospitality hours. The units are individually owned, and if you Google for Sea Village, you will find them. We used Donita's Vacations a long time ago, and she represented our favorite 2 bdrm/2 bath oceanfront unit. Prices are very reasonable.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 03:13 PM

Are there condos/developments on the nice beaches on the Big Island? I know I'm speaking for myself and noone else, but when I go on a tropical beach vacation, I want to be ON the beach, not have to drive there.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 03:21 PM

I love both islands, I would go with the Big Island because of its size. REgarding beaches, the BI is younger so the beaches are fewer but they are beautiful.

This is my BI beach report.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ala-coasts.cfm
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 04:11 PM

I've been to the Big Island and Kauai and I think the Big Island is not that tropical and the beaches are not as good.

I love Kauai there is a lot to do there. The north side of Kauai will be rainy but the south end will be dry and sunny.
The entire island will be tropical and beaufiful.

If you really want to do a lot of tourist spots I would recommend Oahu. They have the Arizona Memorial, The Bishops Museum, the Iolani Palace, Diamond Head, drive up to the North Shore to the famous surf beaches, and the beaches on Oahu IMO are spectacular and properly the best of all the islands.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 04:29 PM

Here's a link to a long-winded response from a couple of days ago. http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...big-island.cfm

The Kohala coast is great for whale watching, and I think your family would enjoy the Waikoloa area. Hapuna and Mauna Kea beaches are beautiful, and there is a lot to see and do on the Big Island.

Kauai is gorgeous: all over green. The Big Island is lush and tropical too in the north and east, and the weather is likely to be warmer and drier on the Kona coast.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 04:51 AM

large group w'kids in December, I would lean w/daisee and look at the Hilton Waikoloa
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. I am now leaning towards BI. We are coming from Houston area...so any beach in HI will be great.

Do we fly into Kona or Hilo? And since we are a large group, I am leaning towards Condos/Houses. Will look at Peaceout's recommendations Any recommendations near the Hapuna and Mauna Kea beaches.

Same for Oahau? Should I use VRBO? I have used them in the past for reservations in the Bay Area in CA.