Kauai - Budget Activities!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2008, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I'm heading to Kauai in early April for almost 4 days. Even though I used miles to book our airfare and points to reserve rooms, I'm still trying to spend as little money as possible and still have a great time out in Kauai. I know there are some amazing (and sometimes $$) activities/excursions out there, so I'm hoping to fit one in, but would generally like to experience Kauai in a way that doesn't cost a lot of money. All suggestions really appreciated! Thanks!
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:52 AM

The beach is free. So is Waimea Canyon.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:19 AM
jcb

The Kukuiolono Golf Course - nine holes - $8. Carts, clubs, balls very inexpensive too.

DH has played twice (I rode along and did not play), and he was not paired up with anyone else. I think it came out to be $21 for everything (9 holes and all rentals). Stunning views!

Also, I enjoy the sunset view from Princeville.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:21 AM

Hiking! There is tons of hiking on the island. You can find hikes listed in most guidebooks; there are also books dedicated to hiking in Hawaii.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:27 AM

What side of the Island are you staying on?

Plenty of free things to do on Kauai. The waterfalls,hiking and lounging on the beach are all free.

Try this link for a article on cheap things to do in Poipu from last Sunday's paper...www.sfgate.com/travel/

If the link doesn't work just google SFgate and click on Travel at the top of the page.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:51 AM

Let me try again.
www.sfgate.com/travel/
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:56 AM
dmlove

Second link worked. I read that article when it was printed -- very interesting what people come up with.

Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM

This link has about 10 sites that are good for all islands. Plus there are a couple just for Kauai. Ignore the Oahu things:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564

Also:

www.kauaimenu.com

www.kauaifestivals.com

http://www.budgettravel.com/bt-dyn/c...101201153.html
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 12:20 PM

Go to the Princeville Hotel... if it is not closed then... and have drinks in the lounge at sunset. SPECTACULAR!!! NOT TO BE MISSED!!!

Go to Anini Beach! Don't know how it is in April... but in July... WONDERFUL!!!

Go to Kilauea Point Lighthouse.

Go to Wishing Well in Hanalei for shave ice. We got a kick out of their signage.

Go to Puka Dog in Poipu Shopping Village... terrific Hawaiian Hot Dog!

Have fun!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 05:43 AM

Kauai has so many scenic points that are absolutely free and very much worth spending your vacation time doing. Here are my top picks for the best free activities on Kauai:
http://www.govisithawaii.com/2007/10...ties-on-kauai/
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 08:24 PM

A good easy hike is at the Keahau Arboretum (free), about five miles west of Wailua. Nearby is the Hindu Temple (free, donations accepted) which offers some great gardens and an easy walk to the temple grounds with a spectacular view above the river. It is open only one or two days each week, call ahead.

If you have interest in gardens, try the National Tropical Botanical Gardens close by Poipu. There are two gardens, Limahuli (smaller, no reservations, small fee) and Allerton (larger, reservations required, moderate charge for guided tour).

And of course, beaches, sunsets, waterfalls, bicycling, and back road excursions, are all FREE!

Old Feb 28th, 2008, 09:08 PM

Go to breakfast in the Coconut Marketplace, not far from the airport on the way towards Kapaa, wonderful breakfast.

Kauai is all about kicking back, you won't have any trouble finding things to do within any budget.

Hike, kayak, find waterfalls, see sea turtles, get stung by a jellyfish (oh just kidding, thats the first thing I did, had no clue what the deal was), its all great!!!
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 11:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Besides the rental car, I don't see why you have to spend $$ on any activities if you are willing to forego dinner cruises, helicopter rides, whatever tourist aimed stuff.

Hiking, beaches, any and everything outdoors every day. Eat as casual local style places. I've never been to Kauai but this approach works OK on Maui and Oahu for me. I'd purchase one guidebook to work from.

Old Feb 29th, 2008, 02:40 PM

We liked Ke'e and Tunnels beaches; be careful of the currents. Also liked seeing the Spouting Horn and the lighthouse. Bubba's Burgers is good for a cheap meal.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 02:23 PM

Is there a SPECIFIC drive that should be taken to view the Canyon?
Like a BETTER way to go so you do not wind up in a place you should not be?
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 09:12 PM

As far as I saw, there was only one road up into it. There are offshoots into military areas and 4WD only roads but it would be hard to get on one accidentally.

Snorkelling, of course, is great, and costs something but not much-- zero if you bring your own gear. We were there for 2 weeks and it was clear we'd be coming back, so we bought stuff rather than have to rent all the time. Tunnels was spectacular.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 02:19 PM

You can either take Wiamea Canyon Road or Koke'e Road (Rt. 550)which meet and then there is one road to the canyon. Be sure to drive to the end (Pu'u Kila Lookout).