kauai activities: your opinions, please

Mar 24th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

kauai activities: your opinions, please

We're headed to Kauai on April 17 and I'm trying to narrow down which activities we'll do. My son is 8 so we need to factor in what will keep him happy. That's why I don't have a helicopter ride on this list (last time he fell asleep - what a waste!)

Here is what I'm considering. I'd like to hear if you liked something (or not), especially if you went with kids.

- Tubing with Kauai Backcountry Adventures: Ultimate Kauai made it sound dull but maybe they're just used to more adventurous things!

- Boat tour up the Na Pali Coast: I know DH and I would love it but I don't want my son to be "bored" which takes away from my enjoyment. Has anyone used Liko?

- Kayak tours up the Wailua River: how much work is it for a kid to do? Which company would you recommend or not?

Thanks in advance,

Kim
Mar 24th, 2005, 08:51 AM

Whale watching on a sunset catamaran (sp?) off of Poipu Beach. Should still be great in April.
Mar 24th, 2005, 09:55 AM

many of the boat companies were still not going up to Napali last week when I was there so have a back up plan for this. Whale watching was awesome. We did it with Pacific Whale foundation and had a wonderful time. Enjoy
Mar 24th, 2005, 01:44 PM

I did the tubing adventure (look for my trip report here - search for myname). While it was not close to Six Flags Titan exciting it was a cool experience. You ride in an irrigation ditch (not as bad as that sounds) on inner tubes through caves. It's a very unique experience IMO.

What hotel are y'all staying at? They should have some kids' activities that might be pretty cool. I seem to notice that lots of kids love to get out into the water and try some type of surfing (in a safe place of course).
Mar 25th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestions so far. Any others?

Kim
Mar 25th, 2005, 06:33 AM

In the baggage claim area at Lihu`e Airport, there is a kiosk filled with free coupons and tour brochures for visitors. Grab the large "101 Things To Do On Kaua`i" magazine -- loaded with ideas for your whole family.

For easy snorkeling, Lydgate Park.
Horseback rides -- Princeville Ranch, CJM Stables, or Keapana.
ATV tours -- some of them offer a family-sized vehicle
Mar 25th, 2005, 04:09 PM

We did the Kipu Ranch ATV tour and my two girls loved it(9,6). It was a definate highlight for us all! My older daughter fell asleep on the helicopter ride too!
Mar 26th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

ttt