Kauai - 1 week August stay, trip ideas?

Jul 8th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Kauai - 1 week August stay, trip ideas?

Hi all,

My wife, 4-month-old son, and I are heading to Kauai for a week in August. Any suggestions on where to stay? We are looking at making a home base for the week rather than move to 2-3 spots. Maybe Poipu or Kapaa? Somewhere central where we can day trip to Hanalai or the canyon...

Any good lodging suggestions? We'd prefer a non-hotel, non-chain spot, but also would like to not spend $200/night. A kitchenette would be a plus. We plan on renting a car to get around, but it would be great to find a place where we could walk to the beach, market, restaurants...

Any advice for first timers to Kauia? Should we look into the helicopter tour? Is it really worth it?? Thank you very much for your time and help!

Cheers!
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:03 AM

alternative-hawaii.com great budget options for you

Personally prefer the Princeville area far prettier

than the south...
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:56 AM

Princeville area is nice but all the condos are up on a bluff and you have to walk down a steep path to the beach or drive to a nearby beach.

Kapa'a is central and has a lot of affordable condos but the beaches are generally not swimmable (although the baby might like Lydgate Beach which has a calm enclosed area).

Personally even though the North Shore is better, for this trip I'd look at condos in Poipu, nice beaches (Poipu Beach Park, Baby Beach, Salt Pond Beach are all nice and usually calm). Close to some restaurants and several shopping centers. You can always drive to the North Shore on one or two days.
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:13 AM

If you do want Kapa'a check out the condos at Pono Kai. It's not as beautiful as the North Shore -- but it is more of a mid-way point. My personal preference is Sealodge in Princeville--and driving ten minutes to Hanalei Bay for the beach.

Be sure to visit Lumahai Beach, Ke'e Beach, Hanalei Bay, Tunnels, and Waimea Canyon/Koke'e Park -- including the Kalalau Lookout.

Don't stress. You'll have a great time regardless of where you stay--as long as you have a car and you explore.
Jul 9th, 2011, 02:31 PM

Yes, the heli tour is really worth the expensive price. IMHO it is the most exciting and awe-inspiring activity on Kauai. Make sure you go on a day with good visibility.
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:36 PM

I agree that the helicopter tour is a wonderful experience, and I highly recommend it if you feel you can afford the price. I've been twice and may go again on my next trip (whenever that is!). It's an amazing experience. However, would you be able to arrange for a sitter? And be sure you read up on the safety issues -- don't want to sound alarmist, but there have been accidents, and that may be something to consider when traveling with an infant.
Jul 20th, 2011, 02:47 PM

Poipu has some very affordable condos. check out VRBO.com
also Poipu Shores condo is lovely with fab view. sits right on water no beach but lots of turltes to watch from your lanai. new great natural foods store opened up at the new strip mall right as you enter Poipu Beach and in Koloa town there are a couple of larger markets to buy your groceries. beach at poipu is very children friendly. Sun is strong there so be sure to have lot of sunscreen - like you didn't already know that. I guess itis the mother/grandmother in me - sorry!