Kapalua Bay Hotel - THAT bad??

Old Jun 20th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kapalua Bay Hotel - THAT bad??

I've noted two recent posts on TripAdvisor with some pretty negative comments about Kapalua Bay hotel rooms and needing updating, etc. I know the grounds are great. Any of you out there stayed there recently and can make me feel better about the hotel? We're going to be there August 3 - 9. Just called StarwoodPreferredGuest (I'm a gold member) and because I'm using points for some of the nights, and points are only for standard room AND they don't have standard rooms available at Sheraton or Westin...looks like we're staying at Kapalua Bay.
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 09:14 PM

The KB is the nicest of your choices. The rooms are fine. Don't worry. The only thing about the KB I didn't like was the condos that destroyed what used to be a lovely coconut grove. All of Maui is getting overdeveloped. Again, of the 3 you've made the best choice. The views are among the best on the island.
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 05:47 PM

i have been a long term fan of kapalua. it's about style.

if you have to have dvds and gadgets, then you'll be unhappy. if you are going to hawaii for gentle breezes, wonderful views and what they call "aloha" you'll emerge a fan, too.

as for trip advisor, i find it very hit and miss. you have to learn to read between the lines for the entries. people who complain about every little thing probably feel they overpaid and want the world for the price.

just one look at your his and hers sinks should convince you of the value of kapalua.
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 06:07 PM

Nothing like his and hers sink to capture the Aloha spirit !!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 01:59 AM

To Kerikeri: Just ignore Rusty. He is a well known troll on this boars.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:02 AM

We are also staying on points this visit. We will be at the Sheraton tomorrow and noticed today on the Starwood site that we got an upgrade to ocean view. Wasn't sure that would happen with so many rooms not available. So, be sure to put a request on your reservation that you would appreciate an upgrade,if at all possible. I considered the KB, but decided on Sheraton for the beach and because our two college age kids are going(closer to the action)! I am sure your vacation will be marvelous at the Kapalua Bay!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 04:39 PM

I stayed at Kapalua Bay using Starwood points (40K for 5 nights) and loved it. I also visited Westin and Sheraton because staying at Kapalua entitles you to parking and pool privileges at the other hotels. BELIEVE me, Kapalua is a much better choice over the Westin and Sheraton which charges the same number of points per stay. Like a gold members, I am a corporate member which entitles me to a free upgrade based upon availability and they upgraded my room to ocean view.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:23 PM

I like Rustys' posts. Rusty has been helpful on many occasions.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:50 PM

Sometimes yes. Mostly no IMHO. Just take a look at them.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:55 PM

Thanks Orchid!! Don't pay any attention to ol' Jacket. He is the the residence grumpy old man on this forum. No sense of humor at all !
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:59 PM
sap

Ah, dear Jacketwatch, you crack me up. Although you often tell everyone to ignore Rusty, you rarely can resist responding yourself. A certain Rolling Stones' song comes to mind. . .something about skin. Frankly, I've noticed lately that even Rusty's more innocent responses can raise the hairs on you and bonniebroad. Hange loose, guys; it's a no-win situation.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 02:02 AM

Thanks sap. Its not a knee jerk thing however. If you notice I reply not to the oxidated one himself for that would be purposeless. I just try to warn posters about his tricks. It all good brudda.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments and reassurances. Good points made by many about postings on Trip Advisor. And kerikeri...we are there for the feel, not the gadgets. And I'm thinking 2 sinks is a good thing for the family! Again, thanks to all.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:09 PM

Well KB is a little out of the way if you are staying with children, about 30 mins into Lahaina when there is traffic. The other resorts are much more family oriented, but again those KB views are wonderful.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Ditto on the remarks on trip advisor. You truly have to weed out the different remarks on how people rate hotels. I recently read a comment on trip advisor where someone complained about the Halekulani in Oahu requesting to see their room keys (the people were guests at the hotel, so that wasn't the problem). It didn't seem to occur to them the Halekulani was looking out for their best interests by not allowing non guests to swamp the pool.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 01:29 PM

If you can avoid Lahaina altogether, that's a good thing in my opinion. Kapalua Bay is my favorite part of Maui: less crowds, beautiful rolling hills and the best place to eat on the island: Sansei. The beach at Kapalua Bay hotel is top notch and you can always hop over to the Ritz and enjoy their hotel and nice beach. And it goes without saying that if you golf, Kapalua is the best location of all. The hotel should be perfect for you.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:21 PM

My fiance and I went to Maui last year and spent a week at the Westin Ka'anapali...but most days we took advantage of Starwood's "stay at one, play at all" deal and drove out to the Kapalua Bay Hotel. I must admit, we didn't see the rooms, but everything else was AMAZING. We said if we go back, we're definitely staying there. It's so beautiful, so Hawaii, much quieter and more lush (thanks to microclimates) than Ka'anapali, lovely protected beach with good snorkeling. Also lots of great spots to lay in the sun/shade.

Speaking of which, if you're really into finding some shade from the sun, like I am, see if you can book a cabana by the pool one day -- they book up, so do it early. At least when we were in Maui, shade was at a premium, which was slightly disconcerting considering all the press that sun damage gets lately. Just to make you aware...

And to concur with michaelcrane, Sansei is divine! Make reservations to be safe.