Maui honeymoon hotel decision...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering if anyone in the "know" can help out? I'm planning a honeymoon in April '05. Will likely book 5 nights in kauai at Princeville Hotel, and another 5 in Maui. Haven't finalized Maui hotel yet. I've narrowed it down to Westin Maui or Kapalua Bay Hotel. We certainly intend to do *some* sightseeing in Maui, but are both beach people and enjoy spending time in the sun, and look forward to beach (and pool) relaxation for this trip most of all. I'm wondering if anyone can offer any recommendations/comments on these 2 hotels? (I know that Westin is more family-oriented, but I would be swayed if there is enough of a difference as far as beach beauty & overall romantic relaxation/swimming possibilities).
Thanks for any insight at all!!
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:20 PM

KB is hands down the nicest of the two. I found the view from the KB to be the best on the island, looking at Molokai and Lanai. Also the snorkeling is very good. KB bay is a little bit of a trek to Lahaina though, but we liked the seclusion. There is currently a 5 night oceanview room with breakfast up for auction at www.luxurylink.com at KB. We did this about 2 years ago.
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:12 AM

First of all, having recently returned from our honeymoon and first trip to Maui, I have to agree with those who told me that you will have a fantastic and romantic time *anywhere* on Maui. You've already made the best choice by deciding to go there, so don't sweat it too much from there.

I can't say that I have seen the Westin, but I hear it is very nice.

We chose to stay at the Kapalua Bay Hotel and absolutely *loved* it there. Like you, we decided to take it easy and enjoy relaxing together with some sightseeing and activities on the side, and this is a great place to do that. Not many kids, excellent and friendly service, very private, and the most beautiful place I have ever been.

You are also not far at all (we thought) from Lahaina, and you are right next to Napili if you want some beach variety.

Do check out the luxurylink.com site, but also run the numbers for yourself, and don't over-bid.

We actually found that by joining Starwood's preferred guest program (free at spg.com) we did better than we could have on the auction, and got a prime ocean view instead. Right now they are offering 35% off Hawaii plus a 5th night free -- it's still expensive, but that is the best deal I found after a *lot* of research.

We were entirely satisfied with KBH, and found most reviews of it to be spot-on (if you don't have Maui Revealed, AKA the Blue Bible, get it). It is understated elegance and genuine friendliness at its best.

Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions, and congratulations! You'll have a great time!
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:47 AM
bonniebroad

I haven't been inside the Westin, but I have been onsite at Kapalua Bay, and I think it is beyond beautiful, one of the prettiest places I've ever seen! It will be a tad cooler/rainier than more Southern spots, like Wailea, but that would not bother me. I would choose that area, over Kaanapali, for relaxing on the beach.

Old May 28th, 2004, 07:20 AM

We stayed at the Westin and really liked it but KB is a better choice I think. Congratulations!