Kaanapali or Wailea?

Search

Kaanapali or Wailea?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kaanapali or Wailea?

We'll be going to Maui for five days next year. I'm looking into condos for our family of four. I'd be interested to hear people's opinions about places to stay on Maui--pros and cons. It seems to me that Wailea would be more relaxing, which is what we're looking for. We plan to go the the beach, take a snorkel boat trip, go hiking by some waterfalls, go to the volcano, etc. I can see that Lahaina could be a fun day trip but is it really worth staying up in that neck of the woods? I've actually found a nice condo on a golf course in Wailea that's half the price of those on the beach in Kaanapali--is it really that much more family friendly in West Maui?
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 06:02 PM

Wailea is definitely less crowded, very relaxing.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 06:30 PM

I've stayed in Kaanapali 4 times. Twice with my kids. We were fortunate to be on Maui during the off season so we didn't really have any of the crowd issues others complain about. We have always really liked what Kaanapali had to offer. I do however like snorkeling at Ulua Beach more than I liked Black Rock in Kaanapali. ThH thing is no matter what you decide you will have a really great time on Maui.
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 06:38 AM

They both are nice, but my personal preference is Wailea as I love the string of lovley beaches that start in Kihei and end in Makena.
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 08:27 AM

Have stayed in the Napili Beach area twice & loved it. But you know your family best so go with your instinct & stay in Wailea. Anywhere on the island is a "day trip".
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

We're going in early June if that makes a difference. Also, I'm a little concerned that all the restaurants my kids will want to go to will be up in Kaanapali and we'll spend our whole vacation in the car! Are there comparable restaurants in Wailea?