K9 Defector

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:35 PM
iceeu2

K9 Defector

Just changed my March, 2007, plans to include The Big Island. Flying into Kona....

Advice please, since I don't have a clue!

i'2

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree !!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:47 PM

LOL Dusty!!!

We flew into Kona, picked up our car and drove to Kohala Coast. Vey pretty and really different. Enjoyed Waipi'o Valley, Parker Ranch, Kohala Lava Desert and the vast, nearly empty, beaches.

Must I say pick up Big Island Revealed.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 03:15 AM
iceeu2

You can always count on Rusty to bust(or is it burst?) your bubble.

Oh, well...you can always count on Rusty to "pop" your bubble.

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 06:10 AM

Hi, iceeu2! We're going to the Big Island in October 2006, so after that I'll post a trip report and have lots of info for you!
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 06:44 AM

I'2,

Clueless? You? Hardly.

You should be honored to be targeted by Rusty. (Not Dusty, Suzie, LOL.) You are now part of a very select group. Welcome.

-Bill
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 07:07 AM
iceeu2

Thanks samsaf.....can't wait to hear all of your details. I never thought much about wanting to go to Aruba until I read your trip report there, so I can't wait!

Did your daughter and her friends find a place to stay?

Well....Rusty, I'm off to Big Canoe to spend the week with some OLD college buds.......So, when I return...I'm sure I will be veeeeeeery smart and have lots of clues!!

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 08:09 AM

how many days have you got? it's hard to do the BI justice unless you have 10 days or more

btw, you can count me in as a fan of the K9 club; loved Kauai!!!
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 09:08 AM

iceeu2, daughter and friends haven't found place to stay yet; still looking.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:54 AM

My typing skills stink. Sorry about that Rusty.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 10:01 PM

Ahhhhh, life is good. We just got back from Kaua'i a couple of days ago. Mentally I am still there. Already I am planning the next one.

The mandatory trip report will follow in a few days when I recover.

8-)
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 03:10 PM

Get the BI revealed guidebook. Tons to do on the BI. You can easily spend 10 days there.
Go to the back sand beach
Check out the lava tubes
Go to VNP
Check out the Captain Cooks monument
Check out the Place of Refuge.
Drive to Hilo
Eat at Roys.
The Marriott offers sunset sails on the "Sea Smoke", a terrific Catamaran that once held the speed record for the Trans-Pac race.
Have fun
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 03:16 PM
iceeu2

thanks jacketwatch, but we are only on The Big Island for 4 days. Condensed version?

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 03:26 PM

iceeu2: I've finally gotten someone to agree to go with me....can you believe folks having to be convinced?!

No date picked yet, but, Lord willing, my youngest DS and I will be planning a trip sometime next year to Kauai and BI! Sis wants to go, but she's been to both these islands before (hasn't done Maui or Oahu) and she's having to work on her DH, so that's 'iffy'.

Anyway, we are looking at maybe May or Sept. (to hopefully avoid the school crowd somewhat).

So, take notes for me and please keep me informed!
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 03:30 PM

OK! LOL! In one day we did the following, assuming you are staying on the Kona side. There is one that circle the island. We drove south and stopped at the black sand beach. We followed the road to the southern tip if the island then up towards Hilo. As you reach there the geography changes form dry and moonscape to wet and lush. In Hilo we took a heli tour over the lava fields and the waterfall. Then from Hilo we drove up to the norhtern tip on the island, then back down south to Kona. This can be done in one day. Then I suppose it depends on what you like to do. The place of Refuge is not too far from Kona and that takes a few hrs. No big time drain there. I think it would be a good idea to the the guide book. "The Big Island revealed" and see what best suits you for the time you have. And of you golf you must play at least once. Cheers. Larry
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 04:32 PM
iceeu2

Another K9!!!!!!! Yippee!!!!!!!

Way to go, Belle! You will be so smitten with Kauai. Last year we went in May and it was great! But, we like to go in March to catch a last glimpse of the whales.

Oh, I will take very good notes for you, my friend. And I will make all of those other unhelpful K9's be nice to you as well!

i'2

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 04:57 PM

Do you suppose they'd be reisitant to helping 'lil 'ole me???
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 07:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We just went to Big Island over spring break. We had a great time. The island is big and you only have four days. Unless you are really into black rocks and the volcano, take the helicopter ride there. We spent an entire day and did not even see the lava flow. We saw lots of black rocks...miles and miles of it. Anyway, we like snorkeling better. There are many opportunities to snorkel with turtles.They are everywhere. There is a black sand beach in Kona area that had wonderful colored fish and lots of turtles. Captain Cooks Monument was a great snorkel spot. You must take a boat cruise there.
We stayed at the Hilton and liked the big resort atmosphere. A smaller resort that was nice was the Fairmont. Both are located on the Kohala Coast north of Kona.
Also boogie boarding at Hapuna Beach was great fun. I had sand coming out of my ears for three days. (I am normally not the big boogie boarder, but enjoyed it very much!!
Anyway, we would return. The landscape was very unique and rather strangely beautiful. There are waterfalls and such if you drive north to Waimpo Valley area.
Enjoy
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 07:20 AM

OSB,
Only those with a high tolerance for mosquito venom and lack of air conditioning should venture to that dreaded island. Can you handle it? I think I'2 has forgotten how she got to be be "Queen of the K9s". Smitten with a place where there are "chickens, too many bugs, no night life, lousy restaurants, no place to wear Manolos, etc, etc, etc? I don't think so!
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 06:08 PM
iceeu2

Yeah, but she can wear Tropical Tantrums!! bbq, I'm so glad you are back. I have missed you. Fodor's just ain't the same without you!

i'2