Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Big Island, mid Oct- 6 nights/5days, VNP then....?Help please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flying into Hilo from Lihue for the last leg of our Hawaiian trip- thinking of staying in Volcano for 2 days. In spite of searching tons of posts, I'm still undecided after VNP. 1- With 3 more days, is it better to stick with the east side, and fly back out of Hilo to Honolulu(leaving from there for home), rather than out of another airport? 2- If we stick with the east side, better to stay with 1 lodging in Volcano for the entire time and explore from there, or stay for a couple of nights elsewhere? 3- After VNP could we just "wing it" and try to find a place, instead of locking in somewhere?
We're mid 50's, like the beach but it's not a huge priority, scenery is. By the way, searching these posts have been my main source of the trip planning thus far, many thanks to the Hawaii Fodors crew!!
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Help, looking for advice to wrap up the trip. Thanks...
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 04:09 PM

You NEED reservations. Don't "wing it" or you may end up sleeping in your car! Do get around to see the other parts of the island as they are really beautiful, especially the Waipio Valley and the Kohala coast. Volcano area is great for seeing Hilo and VNP, but you need to stay on the other side to see the rest of the island.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Christie.
If I take Christie's advice, any suggestions on what area to stay- Waipio Valley or Kohala Coast- or welcome any other suggestions. Thanks
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 05:02 PM

We wanted to see the entire island, so we stayed part of the time in Volcano at the Kilauea Lodge and then stayed at the beach at the Hapuna Beach Prince - very scenic beautiful beach there. I would definitely stay in 2 spots - makes it easier to see everything; the BI has so much to offer. The Waipio Valley is beautiful, VNP is amazing (we got to hike out to see the lava flow at night), and another highlight was seeing Akaka Falls - over 400 feet tall. We also did Maui and Kauai, and I didn't think I'd really like the BI as much, but I loved it.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 05:05 PM

Kohala coast is much drier. Hilo side is lush but it does rain a lot so it's best to split your stay.

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all, I think I will definitely stay in 2 spots. I'm landing in Hilo, but if I go over to Waipio Valley and on to the Kohala Coast, would it be better to leave from Kona airport, rather than going back to Hilo? Thanks...
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

My last question to the top- If I fly into Hilo, but go from there over to Waipio Valley and on to Kohala coast, is it better to leave from Kona airport, rather than go back to Hilo? T
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 04:41 AM

If you are staying on the Kohala Coast, of course, the Kona airport is closer. But the Hilo airport would still be doable-no more than two hours away from Kohala--maybe less. Depends on the airline and what flights you can get.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 06:21 AM

Which airport depends on what you wish to do on the day you are leaving BI.
If you arrive in Hilo and drive to Kohala via the Northern route (visit Akaka Falla, Botanical Gardens, Waipio on the way... very scenic).... and then return to Hilo airport (allowing several hours to stop off at The Place of Refuge and maybe a coffee farm via the southern route)

So check out the time of the flights and work out what you want to do on your last day... some people just want to drive directly to the airport with their luggage and maximise their beach time before leaving and so Kona is the obvious choice.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for helping me decide to spend 2 days in VNP then on day 3 head up to Waipio Valley, and on to Kohala coast, then leave from Kona back to Oahu.
I need help with one last piece of the puzzle: On day 3 when I leave VNP, then go to Akaka Falls, then to Waipio Valley, is it too much to go from there to Kohala coast all on day 3, or should I spend the night near Waipio, then on to the Kohala coast the next day, and spend final 2 days around that area. Thanks, Beatle
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 04:53 PM

We did the drive straight through - that's what I would do so you can get on over to the Kohala coast - it's gorgeous. We just stopped for pictures along the way.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Welcome any suggestions on moderately priced places to stay on Kohala coast. Thanks
(Yes, think I will do that Volcano girl.)
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 07:12 AM

I did a quick check on Orbitz--just picked 3 days mid October--$249/nt at the Hilton Waikoloa. Suggest you check the other search engines or call the hotels directly with your dates since you'll be there next month.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks marty, I wanted to stay under $200 but don't know if that is realistic on Kohala coast in mid Oct. I may book that if nothing else pops up.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 11:54 AM

You can probably get a deal at the Marriott Waikaloa. It's next door to the Hilton and a smaller resort.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 12:19 PM

If you can tear yourself away from the Kohala coast, the Outrigger Keauhou Beach Resort south of Kona is usually under $200, you can watch turtles from the terrace over the ocean and the adjacent beach.