June/early July '08 family trip to Maine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After contemplating many areas of the US that we haven't been to, we have pretty much decided to head to New England. My son (whose graduation trip this is intended for)loves the beach, nature, beautiful landscapes. Daughter who will be 13 also loves the beach and nature, but is also a horse and animal nut.

Here is what I thought could be one plan, but we are just starting to think, so feel free to share whatever great knowledge you have about the area:

We could go from June 16- end of June first part of July.....Fly(?) maybe drive from Va (JetBlue is the lowcost carrier out of RIC, we are then closest to Norfolk/Wmsbg) . Rent car drive to Bar Harbor/Acadia NP 3 nts. Possibly take ferry to Nova Scotia, horseback ride, hike, maybe whale watching tour?

Nights 4 and 5 Boothbay or Camden area?

Nights 6 and 7 Southern Maine- Ogunquit and Kennebunkport

Questions:

When is best? closer to the middle of June or closer to the end- First of July?

Is Boothbay worth a night or two or should we stay longer in Acadia/BH or So. Maine?

Lodgings- looked into Bar Harbor Inn, and Anchorage by the Sea or Beachmere in Ogunquit? any thoughts? what about in Boothbay/ Camden?

Thanks everyone for all of your help thus far!
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:27 AM

We planned to go to Nova Scotia this next month, too, but found out logistics were not right for us. The only ways to get there are (a) fly, (b) drive way up around in New Bruncwick (it's a long way), or (c) take the "Cat" catamaran out of Yarmouth or Bar Harbor.

The "Cat" is the only ferry now. It is fast, but costly, especially if you bring your car. In our case, to go over for 2-3 days would have been impractical because it would have cost us about $600 just for the Cat, itself, even with "senior" rates!

Just an observation.

New Brunswick, Canada has many of the same kinds of delights, and you can easily drive there from Maine, as we have several times.

We have been to Williamsburg and I know MOST people love it, but we found it rather "canned" vs Old Sturbridge Village, in Sturbridge, Mass. Mind you, Williamsburg is a real former colonial town, while Old Sturbridge Village is all recreated! However, we found that Sturbridge was delightful, because we were left free to roam for the day (and you need a whole day), spending as much time as we wished with any part of it. (If you want to chat with the "cooper", making barrels, for example, you may do so -- and that "interpreter" will be VERY knowledgeable.)

In Williamsburg, we had tickets and were ushered (rushed?) through many of the buildings, with other tourists, leaving us with unanswered questions. Our 9-year old son was even bored(!) there, especially when he noticed modern cars in their driveways, air contioning in buildings, "modern nails" in things, and so on. None of that at Old Sturbridge Village. You enter the gate, and you have stepped back in time 100 percent.

Can't help much with lodging ideas. We prefer B&B's but we have no children.

Enjoy New England, anyway! There is MUCH to see and do here! For example, if you get to Vermont, there is the Maple Sugar Museum on Rte 7, in Pittsford, VT. (See their web site:

http://www.maplemuseum.com/map.html

Good luck!

Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:53 AM

Around June 16 you might hit the lupine festival in the Stonington area. It's a community event, nothing big, but you get a map to the areas of best bloom. This in the peninsula just before you get to the Acadia area. It's a bit off season in Maine so it will be cold on the water even on a hot day (if it's hot) so bring jackets if you plan on a boat trip that gets out in the ocean. On a simple boat ride from the Belfast area to Stonington area the crew broke out blankets for the passengers.
If you're going for 2 weeks you can probably fit in a trip to Nova Scotia but plan on driving from Yarmouth toward Halifax for scenery. When we did a 3 day package trip (slow ferry) we had one night in Halifax, one in Yarmouth and first night on the boat. We mostly drove and I don't remember much about that trip. I don't think your family would enjoy it. The beaches south of Halifax are very nice. The water between Brunswick and PEI is very warm because the Gulf Stream comes close to shore but in Maine the water will be frigid in June.
When you plan out your route you can figure on a place like Camden being a few hours stop and then stay in another town thereby fitting both Camden and Boothbay into your schedule. If the weather is good I think you all would enjoy the boat trip and hiking around Monhegan island rather than the ferry to Nova Scotia. Check out the new Maine Coastal Gardens near Boothbay (Barters Island) for nice walking paths. Southern Maine is much better for beaches.
You might check with 4-H to see if there are any horse events going on during your visit. There may be some small shows before the fair season starts. In southern Maine you are only a few hours from the north shore of Massachusetts where they play polo.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:50 PM

If you click on my screen name, or search "missypie", you will find my report of our recent trip to NYC, Boston and Maine with our kids (ages 16, 14 and 11). It might give you some ideas. We really liked staying at the Pink Blossom in Ogunquit.

Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just came back from a trip to Maine and Nova Scotia. The crossing on the CAT ferry was EXTREMELY rohg. I never saw so many sick people in one place. I had been warned and took Dramamine and I was fine. It was impossible to even walk without holding on to something. Granted, it was pouring rain with zero visibility and that contricuted to the rough waters. If you are taking the CAT, take some sea sickness nedication an hour before you leave.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That should say the crossing was very ROUGH.