July weather - Florida Keys

Old May 16th, 2003, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
July weather - Florida Keys

We're planning a trip from the U.K. to Florida Keys this year and can only travel in either July or August. We've heard it rains frequently at this time. Can anyone advise just how frequently and whether July or August would be the best month.
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:17 AM

I suppose July might be better, but after living in Florida I can honestly say neither is good weather-wise. It is very hot and humid. If I were you I'd much rather spend July or August in Southern California if that is a possibility.
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:37 AM

Go to weatherunderground.com . You can get historical weather data there. July and August look very similar with weather conditions. I believe the rain is just summer showers--not for long duration.

The Keys have an ambiance all their own--you're making a great choice!
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:56 AM

Daily normal weather is basically the same in the Keys in July and August. I'd go for July, though, as you chances of dealing with a hurricane are statistically a little less in July compared to August. It does rain frequently in the summer, but usually in fairly short bursts. And yes, it will be hot but since a Keys vacation is all about watersports and partying, my guess is that during all the snorkeling, parasailing, waverunners, and frozen drinks, you won't be bothered by the heat too much!
Old May 16th, 2003, 08:21 PM

I guess you have not heard the local summer-in-florida lingo. If it rains...wait five minutes or drive five miles. I live in the southeast and late summer offers afternoon showers about 3-4 days a week. These showers last anywhere from 10 min. to 2 hours. There is a good and bad side to these showers. The good news is they happen 1. About the time you might be ready for a nap or 2. You can just hop inside a bar, have a drink, wait it out...bad news after the showers the hot sidewalks mixed with high humidity makes it seem like you are walking through a sauna. you can actually hear the steam rising sometimes. But overall the sea breezes offer good relief from this. Also in key west. book a snorkel tour. the water is usually pretty cool at certain locations as opposed to the "bath water" temperature of hotel pools.
Old May 18th, 2003, 04:14 PM

July and August are both hot months however July maybe a less crowded month because Lobster season starts in August. It rains in the afternoon but not for a long time as the Florida Keys are islands and the southeast breeze blows the storms inland. Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada is a awesome place to stay. Check it out on the web. The snorkeling, diving and fishing in the summer is great. Enjoy.
Old May 18th, 2003, 06:17 PM

I wouldn't bother snorkeling in Key West since all the coral these is dying. By all means go 30 miles up the Keys and take a snorkel trip at Looe Key. Boats leave for there out of Big Pine Key, Little Torch Key, and Ramrod Key. I think you'd be pleased with Looe Key Resort's trips.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Just to say "Thankyou" for taking the time and trouble to reply. From the advice you've given July sounds the best month and as the rain is only showers, as opposed to all day, we've decided to make the trip. From reading other messages I gather we'll need "bug" spray as well as an umbrella but I'm sure it will be worth it. Thanks again your advice is much appreciated.