Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

12 days Paris--Early July or late Aug.- Best time to go?

Feb 14th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

My wife and I are planning a 12 to 14 day trip to France (mostly Paris) We're not sure which of the above dates are the best. I know that many Parisians leave in August--is this good or not so good for visitors. Any significant weather differences?
Feb 14th, 2005, 11:13 AM

Well, it's going to be hot in both July and August, so in that respect it doesn't matter. And it will be crowded. Any chance you can go in either May or September? The weather will be better and not quite so croweded.
Feb 14th, 2005, 11:26 AM
ira

I agree.

Mid Sept is best. The wine, olive oil and cepes mushrooms are harvested then.

Feb 14th, 2005, 11:53 AM

If it must be early July or late August, I would choose July. The weather may be warm but unless France has a summer like 2003, is likely to be pleasant. There are likely to be fewer Parisiens on vacation so more things open normally. If you can expand your options a bit, I would choose late May or early June or mid-September.
Feb 14th, 2005, 12:08 PM

The height of summer emptiness is likely to be in early to mid-August. Vacations are staggered now. Is the exodus good or bad for visitors? Much depends on the importanance you assign to dining. (And pollution, which is likely to be less, though real hot weather could actually make less particulates worse.) Many restaurants will be closed, and if you have specific restaurants in mind you may not be able to dine in them. This is likely to be more true in late August than early July. August is also likely to be warmer, but guessing at Paris weather is a high-risk hobby. There could be a sunny July and a rainy August, with corresponding temperatures. Finally, I don't entirely agree about crowding. I believe the summer, especially August, is less crowded with Parisians and visitors than some other months.
Feb 14th, 2005, 12:26 PM

It probably gets down to things person to you. The weather is not predictably different.

Without a doubt, I would choose early July, but that's because if things I like to do. For example, the main performing arts season is dying by that time but completely shuts down after July 14th (ballet, opera). that is important to me, but may not be to you.

The fact that many Parisians leave in August is probably not going to affect you so much. There is less traffic. August is not likely to be warmer than July, in fact I believe the opposite is true historically. No real difference in weather regardless, though.

Paris Plage starts around mid-July and makes it somewhat laid-back, if that is amusing to you. They truck in some sand and put it along the Seine and in front of the Hotel de Ville. People play volleyball in front of HDV, for example.