Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

July temperatures in Bar Harbor---need a/c?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are from chicago and are used to very hot and humid summers where we definitely use our A/C----planning on vacationing in bar harbor during July in a cottage on the water. will we need A/C i checked out weather.com and it appeared that averages are only a few degrees cooler than chicago's temps, but that doesn't account for breezes or humidity---any advice? i could live without it, but my husband wouldn't be happy if it got hot and sticky.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 07:49 AM

We've stayed in Bar Harbor in July, August and September. Even when it's been warm during the day, it's always cooled down a lot at night and the place we stay doesn't have AC (and we never missed it).

~Liz
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 08:36 AM

I've been in Maine in July when it was in the mid 90's - and although it does cool down at night there's now ay we would have been able to sleep without AC.

It depends mostly on your tolerance for heat. I can;t sleep if the temp is over 72 - some people don;t mind sleeping if it's in the upper 80s. Only you know your (group) tolerance of heat.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

thanks--just what i needed to hear---didn't realize it would get that hot in Maine----and it would ruin our trip----that helps me make a few choices.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 02:10 PM

Last July the fourth conditioned air was needed HEATED because it was a bit on the the other side.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

i am confused. we were first going to make res. at Bar Harbor Inn--very costly----then I found these Emery Shores Cottages that looked so cute----would provide sort of a bonding with nature type of trip, which I would love-----and there is availability during our stay----i will have to give this some thought. thanks
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 06:04 AM

Typically Bar Harbor weather in July is quite comfortable. However, there is always a chance you could be there when temperatures are well above average. That is what happened to me last summer, during an August visit. But I found that by late afternoon temperatures began to cool, and the evenings were just great for dining outside and exploring the village.

I stayed at the Aurora Inn, which bills itself as a "Quaint Little Gem in the Heart of Bar Harbor". It truly was.

Although my room was simple, it was absolutely spotless, had a microwave, iron/ironing board, wireless Internet, coffee-maker, (and a few other goodies), was a 10 minute scenic walk downtown and reasonably priced.

The motel manager had a great idea for an afternoon cool down - he suggested I walk out to Bar Island. I have some info on that at: http://www.great-maine-vacations.com...bor-maine.html