July 1- July 6 in NYC - first trip

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 01:50 PM
chris

July 1- July 6 in NYC - first trip

My wife (3 1/2 mos pregnant) and 8 year old son and I are taking our first vacation to New York next week. Any suggestions for the best vantage point for viewing the Macy's fireworks?

Any must see or do points of interest? We are in the city for 6 days and are planning on visiting some of the typical sites (i.e. Empire State Bldg, Grand Central Terminal, Central Park, Museum of Natural History, The Lion King, South Street Seaport, Circle-Line Cruise, Times Square, etc.).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 02:11 PM
JKNYer

One thought came to mind;
The Intrepid Aircraft Carrier air/space museum (42nd & West St.) is quite impressive and probably great fun for an eight year old - depending on interests ofcourse.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 02:49 PM
chris

Thanks for the input about Intrepid. We are planning on going there after our Circle Line Cruise on Tuesday afternoon. It does sound like an interesting and fun way to spend a few hours in the afternoon. Thanks again.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 03:50 PM
xxx

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge for the architecture and the wonderful views of lower Manhatten. Take the free Staten Island Ferry at dusk for unsurpassed views of the Statue of Liberty and the Financial District lit up at night.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:40 PM
Donna

You may want to visit Intrepid first, then take the Circle Line cruise, which is a fabulous way to "rest". With an 8-year old, the two-hour cruise may be the better bet, as the last half (except for Yankee stadium) is not as interesting as the first half. In case you haven't heard, there's a HUGE new Toys-R-Us in Times Square with a magnificent ferris wheel inside - not to be missed. When it first opened, the lines went down the block, but a couple of weeks ago, there were no lines at all.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:47 PM
Ted

Your son would probably enjoy Belvedere Castle, overlooking the Turtle Pond in Central Park not far from the American Museum of Natural History.

I also recommend the USS Intrepid.

Watching the fireworks -- from the FDR, from South Street Seaport, or from a boat in the middle of the East River (leaving from the Seaport). I think Circleline might offer a fireworks viewing cruise. Enjoy!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Chris

To Donna - thanks for the input about Circle Line and Intrepid. I will definately take your good advice! We are definately going to spend time at Toys-R-Us - it is only a couple of blocks from our hotel and I am sure our son will manage to get us in there more than once!

Thanks again to everyone for the advice. If anyone else has any good suggestions for where to view the fireworks, I would appreciate additional input.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 01:54 PM
JKNYer

the Prime viewing area for the fireworks in Manhattan will be along the FDR between 14th and 42nd streets. Access to the FDR for pedestrians is at 23rd St., 38th and 42nd St.

Unless you can get into any tall apartment buildings on the East side!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 02:03 PM
a

I am not sure where you are coming from, but...

even though the Toys R Us is by your hotel, this is a store found all over the country. I think an 8 y/o would enjoy the uniqueness of FAO Schwarz Toy Store. Maybe, if he saw the movie Big (which was filmed in the store) that would peak his interest more.

A trip to Little Italy and Chinatown is also very unique. BUT very crowded.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Jen

But the other Toys R Us stores don't have Ferris wheels!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Yev

Also make sure to go to the Empire State, at nighttime. Great views. Actually that would be a spectacular place to see the fireworks, though im not sure when the observatory closes. And for all your transportation, I would suggest using the subway, its quite clean and fast, especially with the new cars they got on some lines. The only thing is dont take the 4,5, or 6 during rush shours, they will be full to the limit. The others are usually fine. Also whatever u do dont take the Bus in manhattan, the ride will be slow to say the least. You might wanna rid the GreyLine double decker tour bus, I heard its good.
Oh and go to Museum Mile, next to Central Park, Im not sure about an 8 year old but they have great museums there like the Gugenheim (sorry for mispelling), the Museum of the City of New York, The Jewish Museum (with that controversial exhibit with the Lego's), and a few other notables. Finally go to a Broadway show, for an 8 year old shows like Lion King should be good.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Diana

Depending on what part of the country you're from, the hot, humid weather can be very debilitating and you can end up not doing as much as you had thought you might. Be sure to get the 1 week metro card (good on buses or subways) for $17, so if you or any of your party get tired, you can hop on a bus to rest, even if it's for a 10 blocks or so--what you might normally walk if the weather were cooler. Also, if you go downtown, remember that the Staten Island Ferry is free and it's a great cooling-off ride and terriffic views.