JFK to Times Square?

Search

JFK to Times Square?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JFK to Times Square?

Wondering what would be the cheapest way to get from JFK to the Times Square area? Subway, bus, cab?Coming in late on a Friday afternoon and time isn't critical.

Thanks much
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 08:52 AM

The cheapest way is to take the monorail(Airtrain)/subway combination. Cost=$7. The A train goes right to Port Authority Bus Terminal on 42nd & 8th, a block from Times Square.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:18 PM

Just be aware this is not a great option if you have anything more than a small carryon. The A train is a standard subway line used by commuters - and unlike dedicated airport trains - there is no room for luggage and trains can be very crowded.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:11 PM

The shuttle isn't bad and you can have as much luggage as you want.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 02:56 PM

Check out the Airtrain/Subway option. If that will work - great. If not, there is a shuttle (with room for luggage) that is $23 roundtrip from JFK to Grand Central terminal or Port Authority, for a little more it will take you to you hotel, but you will stop at hotels other than your own, so it might take a while. There is information at: http://www.nyairportservice.com/fares.html

The cab is a flat rate of $35, plus tolls, and tip.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 03:41 PM

The cheapest way to get to Times Square from JFK is to take the Airtrain and connect with the subway into Manhattan. The total cost is $7.00. I took it once and the total trip took about 45 minutes, which is about the same as what it would be for a cab ride during non-peak times. During peak traffic the subway/Airtrain will be quicker.

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrain/index.html
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 04:35 PM

Sorry - did not mean to imply that you are not allowed to take luggage on the A train - just that there is no special place to put it. You need to find room for it among the other passengers and if the train is crowded this can get awkward (when trains are full there is really no room to leave objects on the floor).
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 04:56 PM

"The total cost is $7.00. I took it once and the total trip took about 45 minutes, which is about the same as what it would be for a cab ride during non-peak times."

What planet are you from, Robinson? By off peak I guess you mean 1937, about the last time a cab from JFK to Times Square would have cost $7.00. Have you ever even been to New York?
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:51 PM
Rob

I don't recommend this route but the cheapest way is the Q 10 bus from the airport to Lefferts Blvd. where you get the A train to 42nd St. Cost if you have a Metro Card is $2 with a free transfer to the train. Without a Metro Card cost is $4 since transfer to train is not free. The trip will take well over an hour.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:52 PM

earl30......First time I read that thread that is just what I thought too...however, re-reading it, it is appearent that it refers to the 45mins. travel time....not the fare charge...
this english language is tough some times!
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:07 PM

Hello earl30,

The $7.00 price I was refering to is the price for the Airtain and the subway from JFK ($5.00 for Airtrain and $2.00 for the subway).
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 08:05 PM

Cab from JFK to Midtown has to be at least an hour, even off-peak. It's been a long time since I've flown into JFK (but I've flown out plenty of times on open-jaw tickets).

The "cheapest way" question was a little disingenuous, wasn't it?! Of course it's going to be the subway route. But if you have even a little bit of luggage, it's not the most practical way. Believe me, I've done the A Train with a laptop, a carry-on suit bag and an overcoat and almost missed my LAX flight on a crowded train that got stuck behind a breakdown in Brooklyn.

I'm a fan of cabs myself, but it's the most expensive option. But you can't beat door-to-door non-stop service.

If you don't mind the stops at other hotels, the shuttle's a good happy medium. You should be just fine with that.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 09:20 PM

I would definately go the Airtrain/Subway option, quick & easy. I had a backpack, so I didn't have the trouble of finding floor space, but in saying that there were plenty of people with large pieces of luggage (international flight) and it was no problem whatsoever. I found people pretty accommodating to those with luggage.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 02:31 AM

Sorry - cab from JFK to midtown is not at least an hour - it all depends on time of day and traffic. I do this all the time and have made it in as little as 20 minutes (granted it was 2pm, we were late and the driver was rushing) but it has also taken as long as 1 1/2 hours (rainy day at 5pm with a couple of accidents blocking the road). IMHO if you have anything more than a small carryon this is the only sensible way to go (shuttles that are door to door take forever and those to central points require you to then look for a cab in the city to finally get to your hotel).
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot guys. You've all been most helpful. We're not going until May, but I'm sure grateful for all suggestions.

Thanks again. Geri
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:38 PM
GoTravel

Geri, I don't know about you but for me, the expense of the cab is so worth it. I can't put a price on not having to schlepp luggage from JFK to Midtown by way of plains, trains, and automobiles.

If you can swing it, at least take the shuttle.