Reload this Page >

JFK air-train to the hotel shuttle with luggage

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:33 PM
kp
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be spending one night in New York before catching our next flight late the next afternoon. After reading reviews of several airport hotels it appears that it's necessary to take the air train to a pick up point for hotel shuttles--I think we'll be at the Ramada.
How difficult is it to manage a "large" suitcase on the air train? Any ideas?
Thanks for any advice.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 06:30 PM

I think you're a little confused. the AirTrain connects to either the subway or the LIRR. do not reco taking the subway if you have anything more than a small carry-on - since there is no room for it (this is a standard commuter train - and can be standing room only - you may get lots of glares from locals if you try to bring on a large piece of luggage). If you take the LIRR to PennStation you will than need to take a taxi to your hotel. (And manage your luggage on the LIRR escalators.)

The shuttle bus is a separate option. It takes you from the airport directly into the city - either to your hotel (but perhaps after stops at a lot of other hotels) or to one of the major stations - where you can change for a smaller shuttle.

The cost for the shuttle is - I believe $17 per person. The cost for a cab directly to your hotel is a flat $45 - plus tip ( about$7/$8) plus bridge or tunnel toll - depending on entrance into the City.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 07:16 PM
kp
Original Poster

Sorry I wasn't clear. We're staying at a hotel very near the airport--probably the Ramada.
The JFK website refers to the inter-terminal transportation as the air-train. We will need to get to station C for the hotel shuttle. This is the same station used for rental cars.
So--how difficult is it to manage a "large" suitcase on the inter-terminal transportation at JFK?
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 08:55 PM

When I used the air train, I saw people using luggage carts...the ones seen throughout the airport. I'm sorry to report, I have no idea where they picked them up and/or where they dropped them off. But, they were in use. The air train is wide and open (unlike the subway) where the carts can be wheeled in and out easily. Hope this helps. I'm no expert on the air train but I found it easy to use. There were attendants willing to help.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 04:22 AM

It's not difficult at all. We stayed at the Courtyard near JFK after our three week stay in Europe, so we had lots of luggage. I've had longer rides just getting between gates in some airports.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 09:27 AM

It shouldn't be too bad. There are escalators everywhere.

The Ramada has a shuttle bus that will take you right to your terminal for your flight out, so you won't have to get on the AirTrain again.

Actually the hardest thing about bringing big luggage will be getting it on and off that shuttle bus. The driver will likely help you out there...don't forget to tip him! (they expect it)
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 04:12 AM

I would suggest check your larger bags at one of the baggage storage facilities at JFK rather than schlepping it to your hotel. Go to http://www.kennedyairport.com/aviation/jsbsfram.htm for info on baggage storage.

You might also call your airline to see if you can check-in for your connecting flight as soon as you land at JFK. I know that most US airlines do not allow early check-in, but it is at least worth calling your airline to see. Even better would be if you could check your larger pieces all the way through to your final destination from your originating airport; then you would not need to touch the bags (will not work if you are arriving on an international flight, as you have to go through customs/immigration.)