JFK hotel overnight with toddler

Aug 11th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

JFK hotel overnight with toddler

Hi, we are flying into JFK with our 2 year old and need to stay overnight close to the airport as we have a 4 hour drive the following day. Are there any nice hotels nearby that are friendly for children? He will need some running around after traveling all day and before the car ride the next morning.

Thanks for any help. He hasnt flown before and is not known for being able to sit still!

PS - we could fly into LaGuardia too, if there is a better hotel nearby, but it seems like the hotel rates are really high (end of August) probably due to the U.S. Open.
Aug 11th, 2007, 03:32 PM

http://www.hotelrooms.com/Airport_Ho...nnedy_JFK.html

once you are on this page, check out the list of the far right...check LaGuardia to see what's available
Aug 11th, 2007, 04:03 PM

Hotels near JFK are not particularly pleasant and are of the next to the major highway style. Can;t imagine they have anything for a child to do or any place for running around.

Suggest you check tripadvisor.com for JFK airports and look at the amenities to see if any have something for a child. But do look at reviews carefully - since none are a place you would stay voluntarily.
Aug 11th, 2007, 04:08 PM
J62

I agree with nyt. Hotels near both JFK and LGA are nothing to write home about.

Have you considered driving ~1hr to get out of the city? That will greatly increase your choices, and 1hr will get you 1/4 to your destination.

A couple of questions.

1. what time/day are you planning to arrive in NYC?
2. what is your destination?

If you give us that info we can make some more specific recommendations.
Aug 11th, 2007, 04:20 PM
J62

Here are some comments on another thread from Fodors regular NeoPatrick about the JFK Marriott Coutryard

"We had spent the night before at the Marriott Courtyard at JFK... We were very happy with the hotel (especially since it was free with a Marriott certificate from taking their credit card). The shuttle service was great (they picked us up the night before at the rental car return, and delivered us right on time in the morning for our flight.)"
Aug 11th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

We will arrive around 3:00 PM and it will take another hour to rent a car and collect our bags so we would be hitting the 4:00 traffic. We are going to East Hampton, but this is a very busy time of year (labor day weekend) and I just cant chance a long drive out with my toddler after he has to sit still on an airplane. 3 hours is a long time to a 2 year old.

We thought of taking an early AM flight, but that would still put us into midday going out there and Im told by relatives who drive out all the time that during this time of year its busy, and best to leave before 9:30 am. Besides, its still a lot for one day for my kid so I thought we would try to get a room really nearby and make it easier on everyone.

Thank you for the suggestions. Im just really surprised with all the travelers that there wouldnt be an upscale hotel near such a busy airport!

PS - is Jet Blue still worth flying these days with all the trouble they've had lately?
Aug 11th, 2007, 05:32 PM
J62

Yes, JetBlue is still flying. They are a great airline - they just had a few meltdowns. Normally things run just fine with JetBlue.

If you haven't purchased your tickets yet have you considered flying into Islip, Long Island (ISP airport code).

Southwest flies non-stop into ISP from Midway/Chicago, Las Vegas, Baltimore and a bunch of Florida cities.

It's about a 1hr drive from the airport to East Hampton.
Aug 11th, 2007, 05:34 PM
dmlove

I've never stayed at JFK, but have stayed at LGA more than once - at the Marriott (during the US Open, although that's not why we were there) and the Courtyard. The Marriott is "upscale" (meaning it's a Marriott, not a Courtyard, and not the Ritz), but that doesn't mean it's a good place for a 2-year old (I mean, it's fine, but there's nothing particular that would be good for a 2-year old, no playground or anything like that).

Aug 12th, 2007, 07:27 AM

Do you realize you could take the hamptonjitney.com to East Hampton from the airport and rent a car once you get to East Hampton?

I would avoid staying near either airport. If you don't want to head straight to EH, you might head east into Nassau County and stay in Oceanside or Rockville Centre. Rockville Centre has some decent restaurants. Here's a Hampton Suites that gets very good reviews and should only be about 30 mins. from the airport.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...lle_Centre-Roc
Aug 12th, 2007, 07:34 AM

Jetblue is one of my favorite airlines. Imo they are very much still "worth" flying.
Aug 12th, 2007, 07:41 AM

I should have added you could also take the TRAIN from JFK to East Hampton. You'd take the AirTrain at JFK to the Jamaica station (going toward Manhattan) and there pick up a train heading east. You could also just take a train part way to EH and rent a car further east on Long Island. This could save you some money as airport rentals usually have extra fees.

You could also head into Manhattan for the night and rent a car from Manhattan or take the train or Jitney from there in the morning.

I don't know where where you're starting from, but agree flying into ISP if you can is a much better idea. Not only is the airport much closer but your car rental will be cheaper and the airport is a lot easier to navigate with fewer delays.
Aug 12th, 2007, 09:31 AM

Given the 2 year old has already been on a plane for several hours I wouldn't put him/her on more public transit for 3 more hours - way too likely to get cranky - and make everyone miserable.

Why not rent a car at the airport, drive about 40 minutes east to the beginning of Nassau and find a local pubic park to run around? Then have an early dinner. You can continue your trip to the Hamptons somewhat later - when the traffic is lighter - and the toddler asleep in the car.

The other good idea is Islip airport. Really bad for getting to Manhattan - but great for getting to the Hamptons. You can do the same car rental, local park and then drive out deal. And miss even more of the traffic.
Aug 12th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Well, its decided. We are flying into Islip on SouthWest and renting the car there. What a relief not to have to fly into JFK and go to a hotel.

Thanks to all for your help!

Aug 12th, 2007, 08:50 PM

Julie: Be SURE to go online and check in at Southwest one second ahead of 24 hours before your flight in hopes of boarding group "A".
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:05 AM
dmlove

djk, they have a 2-year old; doesn't Southwest at this point still allow families with toddlers to pre-board?

Aug 14th, 2007, 05:35 AM

I'm sure they do but it's still a good idea to get an A boarding pass. You can check in online 24 hrs. in advance of your flight.