NYC: Newark & JFK Airport - Where to Stay?

Mar 2nd, 2007, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

NYC: Newark & JFK Airport - Where to Stay?

Hi,
We will be returning home from a long flight into Newark airport at 5:30pm, Leaving the next day at 9:00am from JFK. We are strugling to decide where to stay overnight, since the hotels near JFK looks unpleasant. Could you pls. help us finding a place not far from JFK, where we can get a decent hotel in a more lively area (e.g. where we can walk to have dinner some place, etc.)? or do we have to stay at JFK (we where thinking on the Holiday Inn or Ramada Plaza)?
Thks for your guidance.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 08:37 AM

I'm booked for a night at the Marriott Courtyard at JFK before an early morning flight in June (free with points). I was told it is "surprisingly nice".

But like you, I'd love to know if there is a decent dinner place near there or if we are obligated to eat at the hotel, though.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 08:48 AM

Jamaica, Queens, where JFK area is located, really doesn’t have anything to offer in terms of “lively” area with nice restaurants to walk around in for dinner.

Manhattan is the place to be for an overnight and since we live here, we’ve had countless very early morning flights out of JFK which we’ve successfully done even while partying all night during the night before in the city. Besides, even if you are doing this during a working week day, you’d be going against the heavy traffic flow when you go to the airport and will not encounter much traffic problems (especially if you leave very early). If you leave at 5ish, via a car service, there’s hardly any traffic getting out of the city into the airport.

In any case, and assuming that you would want to be as close to JFK as you can and do not to be deeply impacted with Manhattan and environs rush hour traffic, I’d suggest somewhere in Brooklyn. Park Slope is a nice area, very good restaurants and cafes, and an up-and-coming neighborhood place. I don’t know the availability of hotels there, if any, but there’s a Marriott in the area which, I believe, is the only luxury hotel in all of Brooklyn.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:30 AM

Actually, I think Manhattan is the best idea since it's almost inbetween the 2 airports and you can get reasonably priced transportation to/from Manhattan from both airports.

If your flight into EWR arrived later or the flight from JFK left earlier, I'd say stay at one or the other. But you'd be in Manhattan by 7 pm at the latest and could have a nice dinner. Even if you have to be at JFK at 7 am, leaving at 6 would be plenty of time from NYC. How many of you are there and what sort of budget do you have?

If you insist on being nearer JFK, the only place I can suggest is the Pan American hotel in Queens. It's not so close to JFK, but they do have a free shuttle (although not sure how early it starts running) and it's within a walk of some shops and restaurants. But it's NOTHING fancy. Cheap and cheerful.
panamhotel.com

Getting there from Newark, I'd say get into Manhattan and take a taxi from there. It will be more expensive for transport than staying in NYC.

None of the hotels in/near JFK are within a safe walk of anything.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:33 AM

How close to JFK do you want to be? I actually live about 1/2 hr away, and there are small hotels/motels (Best Western etc.) where the pilots and airline staff members stay. Check out Rockville Centre, Long Island. There are many good restaurants, and as I said moderate priced places to stay (just 20-30 min. from the airport).
Good luck with your search.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:40 AM

We stayed at the Ramada Plaza the night before we left on our honeymoon. The Ramada plaza is the only hotel/motel on the airport property. Its a good basic hotel for your needs of staying some place overnight to catch a plane the next day. They also have a shuttle bus that leaves every 15 minutes to the terminals. This is not a Four Seasons hotel but for a basic overnight stay it is fine.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. Yes, we are considering to stay in Manhattan. Therefore, on Sunaday evening we will transfer EWR to Manhattan, and the next day early morning Manhattan to JFK.
We are now considering where to stay in Manhattan, since we will only have the late evening/night, we would like to know which area: Soho, West or East Village? We will try to do some nice walk/dinner/bar/windowshoping. What do you think?
Thks again for your help...
Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:50 PM

There are not many hotel options in the areas you list. They're good for walking around, dining etc. but not so easy for hotels and public transportation. If you plan on using taxis or car service to/from both airports, you can stay wherever you want. Otherwise, somewhere in midtown would be better. In the village, the only "proper" hotel is the Washingtonsquarehotel.com

The W Union Square is on the edge of the village. In Soho, you have the Soho Grand, the Mercer and 60 Thompson. None are cheap.

What's your budget?
Mar 2nd, 2007, 02:21 PM

What about the Grand Hyatt which may have some really good prices for a single Sunday night? I say that because it's attached to Grand Central, so you can take transportation to and from Grand Central very easily. And it's a nice walk to stroll up Fifth Avenue and "window shop" on Sunday night.

Your other areas are nicer for an overnight, but now I'm confused. Hard to get to by public transportation or are you just going to take a taxi to and from the airports?
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks again, we will only use taxi from/to airport and prefer to walk that evening/night. Regarding our budget around $300US for that night. Do you think Soho or Village is a good area choice? or better Midtown near Central Station or Times Sqr.?
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:27 AM

As I said, the real issue is there aren't that many decent hotels in those areas (they're more residential). I don't think one area is nec. better or worse than another and we don't really know anything about you, your likes/dislikes, ages etc. We don't even know if you've been here before.

I gave you a list of the hotels in the village and Soho. I don't know what date this is for so there's no way to know whether you'd find a room for $300/night since prices fluctuate. I'd imagine, assuming availability, the Washington Square in the village will fit the budget (or less), but it's not fancy. It is a good place from which to stroll around the village though. It's diagonally across the street from Washington Square Park.

If you've never been to NYC and would like to see a bit of the bright lights in Times Square, have a look at the Renaissance hotel which has some nice views.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:41 AM

Bookmarking for 10/07