Search

Jersey Shore Vacation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jersey Shore Vacation

Hi,
4 families looking for a mini vacation along the Jersey shore, already been to Wildwood. Would like to do beach during the day have dinner and have something at night to keep the kids occupied.
How are Point Pleasent Beach or Seaside Heights? Any hotel suggestions? Thanks!
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 08:14 AM

I wasn't terribly impressed with Seaside Heights. Family-oriented towns are Ocean City, Stone Harbor, Avalon and others in that region. Cape May is very nice and some of the bed and breakfasts in the area are beautiful. If you stay close enough to the town center in an of these towns you can walk to dinner etc. Not sure how old any children might be.

Other places that are nice are on Long Beach Island. We've stayed north on the island - very residential but decent beaches.

The only thing I truly dislike about Jersey beaches are the need for beach tags. If you go for a day you can go to Island Beach State Park and pay for each car that enters. There are showers, food concessions etc. in 2 major life guarded areas or further down are unguarded beaches. Feel free to take in a cooler with lunch as well.

Not sure where you are coming from but have you tried Bethany Beach in Delaware? Again, family oriented and the last time I was there no need for a beach tag.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 08:21 AM

Based on my experiences (my mother lives about 15 minutes away) Point Pleasant is much cleaner and focused on families. Seaside had a reputation a number of years ago as a problem area with gangs. I think it may be better, but I went there last summer and it still felt somewhat "unclean".

There are a ton of games and rides on the boardwalk, but it is not cheap!
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 08:54 AM

I would not go to Seaside. It might have been nice back in the day. Ocean City, would be my choice. Very family oriented, dry town as well. (Just so you know!) One of the nicest boardwalks. Long beach island is very popular, very crowded. Anything close to a boardwalk is good but as said all ready bring cash. It is expensive to go on the boads nightly with kids!! Cape May is nice, many nice restaurants and you won't have to deal with the boards at all. AS my kids got older I avoided the boards as much as possible.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 09:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Long Beach Island is very nice. I like the north end. You can rent a large house or two medium sized ones. We used to rent a big house and go with our kids. Our kids got too big and needed more room. We grew out of the one house.
There is an amusuement area for kids under 12 on the island. It is a drive from the north end. There are restaurant also around the island, but if you stay north, you will need to drive there. We liked the area of Loveladies or Harvey Cedars. We used to rent through HCH realty.
I would avoid Seaside. It was dumpy when I was a teen (and that was a long time ago). I am sure it is just as seedy as it used to be.
Point Pleasant has a small boardwalk and has kids under 12 rides as well.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:34 PM

Point Pleasant is great place for families - nice beach, fun boardwalk, and the inlet is always popular for fishing. Seaside Heights is a little more geared towards teens, but it is not as bad as some make it out to be, especially if you stay down the southern end in Seaside Park. The beaches down there are fabulous, and it's a mile or two walk up the 'boards' to get to the rides and all the action.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:45 PM

Seaside Park is much better then seaside Heights. I agree with that statement totally. They do have nice wide beaches as well.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 04:59 PM

I think a better choice would be Point Pleasant as far as a boardwalk and things to do for the kids. The beaches are very nice. The only problem is there aren't that many hotels/motels to choose from, it's seems more house rentals. Ocean City is also very nice small boardwalk with shops restaurants the nice thing about that boardwalk is there aren't the typical carnival type games that will take you broke. They do have minature golf and a small ride area for younger children.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 05:07 PM

I stayed on LBI and we enjoyed it. I would not "seek" out the Jersey Shore (we are from Southern California) as I was shocked at the price of a house for a week for well, the Jersey shore ...but we have family and are both from NY and NJ... so we do go back and it is enjoyable.
My cousin owns a home beach front in Ocean City and it is a nice family area as well.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 03:23 PM

I'd recommend Ocean City -- fun and kid-friendly. Seaside Heights can be a little trashy and overrun with bennies from a certain neighboring state who think they own the place. (That said, I personally love Seaside anyway. But it's not the most kid-friendly.)

Point Pleasant is one of my last choices, only because I don't love the boardwalk. Kind of boring and small, though the kids might like the aquarium at Jenk's.

Dawn -- having been, I wouldn't seek out Southern California! I guess everyone just likes what they like.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 06:39 PM

Karameil - I said I was surprised at the price of a house for the week on the Jersey shore... we are from NJ and NYC and it simply is not worth it imo. I prefer Hawaii, La Jolla, Laguna Beach... over the Jersey Shore.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 03:05 PM

I'd have to vote for Ocean City. We leave in 3 days for our 5th straight year vacationing there and we couldn't be more excited. I grew up in NJ and although my family frequented Seaside, Point Pleasant and Wildwood when I was younger, I think Ocean City is a great family choice. There's a nice boardwalk with 2 ride piers (both have little kids and big kids rides), lots and lots of restaurants and ice cream stands, Sand Castle Park, Storybook Land, Corson's Inlet State Park (a nice hike for a picnic on the beach), a "make-your-own-pottery" place, the little seashell musuem/store that we like to browse. You're also only 30 minutes from the impressive and free Cape May County Zoo, Cape May pedestrian village and Sunset Beach.

Good luck with your choice...

Christina
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:05 PM

I love Diamond Beach which is part of Wildwood Crest. Awesome private beach where you can bring your drinks! Lot's of condos's for rent and a few motels.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 06:25 PM

I would recommend Ocean City or Stone Harbor. Both are great for families.I have been in Jersey for some 50 years. Seaside was a good spot back in the day. But, times have changed.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 07:31 PM

Seaside is a bit sleazy, but not that bad. I do not share the general enthusiasm for Ocean City, as I like to at least get some carnival prizes when my pocket is picked on the boardwalk. I also swear that being "dry" leads to mediocre and overpriced restaurants.
Point Pleasant is clean and attractive and has some good restaurants (and surprisingly good boardwalk food-although you do pay for it). The boardwalk amusement area is small, though, and I'm not sure how well it works for an extended vacation. We only live an hour or so away, and will occasionally hit it for dinner on a summer evening. I'm always terribly amused by the fact that we are usually the only Pennsylvania plates in the beach lot. It is also the only place in New Jersey (other than A.C.) that I'm aware of that has bars on the beach.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 04:11 AM

Why resurrect this old post, Jenna?
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 05:11 AM

Are you looking for a house or motel?

If a house makes sense, I might suggest you check the town of Bay Head for a rental. The Beach is far less hectic than either Point Pleasant or Seaside, but geographically it's close to both.